“Fear and anger give bad advice.”— Matt Mochary
Matt Mochary (@mattmochary) coaches the heads of top Silicon Valley tech investment firms and companies on how to be the best leaders and build the best organizations possible. His philosophy and method are captured in both the Mochary Coaching Methodology (which is available as a free Google Doc) and in his book The Great CEO Within, which is available on Amazon and online (also as a free Google Doc).
As a former founder, CEO, and investor, Matt knows firsthand the challenges of those roles as well as solutions to the most commonly encountered problems. His coaching is not questions-only; there is real guidance. Matt specializes in helping CEOs and their companies (or investment firms) transition from freewheeling startups to dominant enterprises.
This episode is brought to you by AG1! I get asked all the time, “If you could use only one supplement, what would it be?” My answer is usually AG1, my all-in-one nutritional insurance. I recommended it in The 4-Hour Body in 2010 and did not get paid to do so. I do my best with nutrient-dense meals, of course, but AG1 further covers my bases with vitamins, minerals, and whole-food-sourced micronutrients that support gut health and the immune system.
Right now, you’ll get a 1-year supply of Vitamin D free with your first subscription purchase—a vital nutrient for a strong immune system and strong bones. Visit DrinkAG1.com/Tim to claim this special offer today and receive your 1-year supply of Vitamin D (and 5 free AG1 travel packs) with your first subscription purchase! That’s up to a one-year supply of Vitamin D as added value when you try their delicious and comprehensive daily, foundational nutrition supplement that supports whole-body health.
This episode is brought to you by Helix Sleep! Helix was selected as the best overall mattress of 2022 by GQ magazine, Wired, and Apartment Therapy. With Helix, there’s a specific mattress to meet each and every body’s unique comfort needs. Just take their quiz—only two minutes to complete—that matches your body type and sleep preferences to the perfect mattress for you. They have a 10-year warranty, and you get to try it out for a hundred nights, risk-free. They’ll even pick it up from you if you don’t love it. And now, Helix is offering 20% off all mattress orders plus two free pillows at HelixSleep.com/Tim.
This episode is brought to you by FreshBooks. I’ve been talking about FreshBooks—an all-in-one invoicing + payments + accounting solution—for years now. Many entrepreneurs, as well as the contractors and freelancers that I work with, use it all the time.
FreshBooks makes it super easy to track things like expenses, project time, and client info and then merge it all into great-looking invoices. And right now, there’s a special offer just for my listeners. Head over to FreshBooks.com/Tim to get 90% off your FreshBooks subscription for 4 months.
Want to hear an interview with another world-class coach? Listen to my first conversation with Jerry Colonna, in which we discuss being complicit in creating the conditions in life we don’t really want, nagging self-doubt, finding time for self-discovery, confronting the difficulty most of us have with saying “no,” acknowledging compassion from a distance, journaling, guilt versus remorse, and much more.
What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES…
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- Connect with Matt Mochary:
- Mochary Method Curriculum | Google Docs
- The Great CEO Within: The Tactical Guide to Company Building by Matt Mochary, Alex Maccaw, and Misha Talavera | Amazon
- The Great CEO Within | Google Docs
- Fear and Anger Give Bad Advice | Google Docs
- The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Tim Ferriss | Amazon
- The Rise of Modern Stoicism: Is Keeping Calm a Healthy Option? | Elle
- Stoicism Resources and Recommendations | Tim Ferriss
- 11 Reasons Not to Become Famous (or “A Few Lessons Learned Since 2007”) | Tim Ferriss
- My Healing Journey After Childhood Abuse (Includes Extensive Resource List) | The Tim Ferriss Show #464
- All About the INTJ Personality Type | Truity
- Virtual Coworking for Getting Anything Done | Focusmate
- Change the Way You Work | Clipboard Health
- Who: Who: The A Method for Hiring by Geoff Smart and Randy Street | Amazon
- Anything You Want: 40 Lessons for a New Kind of Entrepreneur by Derek Sivers | Amazon
- How to Conduct an Energy Audit and Why It Matters | Mochary Method Class #4
- Finding the One Decision That Removes 100 Decisions (or, Why I’m Reading No New Books in 2020) | Tim Ferriss
- Jeff Bezos: This Is the ‘Smartest Thing We Ever Did’ at Amazon | CNBC
- How We Run Our Board Meetings to Benefit the Board and Brex | Brex
- How Matt Mochary Became the Preeminent Tech-World CEO Coach | Fast Company
- Forget New Year’s Resolutions and Conduct a ‘Past Year Review’ Instead | The Tim Ferriss Show #559
- Azores | Visit Portugal
- Shut Up! | Loud Austin
- How to Say “No” When It Matters Most (or “Why I’m Taking a Long ‘Startup Vacation'”) | Tim Ferriss
- The Alpinist | Prime Video
- Dropbox Sign (formerly HelloSign)
- Chief of Staff: Why You Need One | Mochary Method
- Tactical Resources for Founders, Execs, and Chiefs of Staff by Regina Gerbeaux | Notion
- Favela Rising | Prime Video
- The Gloves (Full Movie) | Matt Mochary
- My Fair Lady Pronunciation | YouTube
- Rikers Island | Wikipedia
- After Leaving Prison, This Man is Helping End Recidivism | Good Good Good
- Real Second Chances Start Here | FreeWorld
- Introducing ChatGPT | OpenAI
- Hoʻakeolapono Trades Academy and Institute
- Onboard Yourself in 30 Days | Regina Gerbeaux
- The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph by Ryan Holiday | Amazon
- The Tao of Seneca: Letters from a Stoic Master (aka The Moral Letters to Lucilius) | Tim Ferriss
- [05:36] Fear and anger give bad advice.
- [10:23] Dispelling dating dread.
- [17:19] The power of prediction.
- [27:07] Next actions.
- [30:56] Turning conversations into action items.
- [33:36] Accountability for introverts and extroverts.
- [38:20] What is Focusmate?
- [40:23] Separating decision from implementation.
- [44:43] Firing well.
- [51:33] Effective and efficient recruiting.
- [1:01:41] Getting honest feedback from past managers.
- [1:04:10] The energy audit.
- [1:10:36] Running effective and efficient meetings.
- [1:18:56] Reducing and removing energy-depleting obligations from the calendar.
- [1:34:01] Assistance with assistants.
- [1:44:37] Why did Matt stop making documentaries?
- [1:55:30] Why Matt’s building a startup.
- [1:59:52] Rules, guide rails, and exit protocols.
- [2:03:26] Downregulating anger and feeling the pain.
- [2:19:16] Parting thoughts.
MORE MATT MOCHARY QUOTES FROM THE INTERVIEW
“Fear and anger give bad advice.”
— Matt Mochary
“When I coach someone, I become their manager, period, end of story. And if by the third meeting they feel more successful, more engaged, more empowered, then they know the system works. And it’s all written out, so they can just copy, paste, use with their team members, and then it works with their team members as well.”
— Matt Mochary
“In any organization, there’s a human that you are prioritizing. So if it’s a company, you’re probably prioritizing the customer. If it’s an investment firm, you’re probably prioritizing your LPs. If it’s your own personal life, you need to be prioritizing you.”
— Matt Mochary
“I find that generally, humans are not incompetent … they’re uninterested. But if you can find a place where they’re interested, suddenly they become very competent.”
— Matt Mochary
“I would say the most valuable thing about recruiting is first, learn how to fire well. And if you can do that, now the pressure is off, and you can take a little bit more chance on people you have intuition about that you really like, but maybe they’re inexperienced, maybe they’re young. And I find those people are often insanely good performers.”
— Matt Mochary
“Allow yourself to feel pain.”
— Matt Mochary
- Naval Ravikant
- Brian Armstrong
- Sam Altman
- Ryan Holiday
- Ayn Rand
- Marcus Aurelius
- Gay Hendricks
- Katie Hendricks
- Steve Huffman
- Wei Deng
- Derek Sivers
- Diana Chapman
- Pedro Franceschi
- Henrique Dubugras
- Regina Gerbeaux
- Eliza Doolittle
- Jason Wang
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 900 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.