Kevin Rose (@KevinRose)—technologist, serial entrepreneur, world-class investor, self-experimenter, and all-around wild and crazy guy—was the first guest on the podcast nearly seven years ago. We were in San Francisco, sitting at this huge wooden table, and I remember being very nervous. I didn’t know what to expect, but if people liked the idea, I promised to do at least six total episodes.
600M+ downloads and hundreds of guests later, Kevin is taking the reins and interviewing me for episode #500!
Hard to believe it all started off as a lark. It’s arguably the biggest thing I’ve ever done, and without you all—my dear listeners—it wouldn’t be possible.
Thank you for allowing me to do this work. I love it. ?
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, or on your favorite podcast platform.
Brought to you by Wealthfront automated investing; Literati Kids, a try-before-you-buy subscription book club; and Athletic Greens all-in-one nutritional supplement. More on all three below.
The transcript of this episode can be found here. Transcripts of all episodes can be found here.
This episode is brought to you by Literati Kids, a try-before-you-buy subscription book club! Great children’s books open up new worlds for discovery. With Literati Kids, your child can explore uncharted places every month with spellbinding stories handpicked by experts.
From art and escapades to tales of compassion and friendship, each Literati box follows a new, enriching theme. And with personalized extras like stickers, surprises, and special guest artwork, every box is a fun and fresh adventure. Head to Literati.com/Tim for 25% off your first two orders. Select your child’s book club and start them on a literary journey like no other.
This episode is brought to you by Wealthfront! Wealthfront is an app that helps you save and invest your money. Right now, you can earn 4.05% APY—that’s the Annual Percentage Yield—with the Wealthfront Cash Account. That’s more than twelve times more interest than if you left your money in a savings account at the average bank, according to FDIC.gov.
It takes just a few minutes to sign up, and then you’ll immediately start earning 4.05% interest on your savings. And when you open an account today, you’ll get an extra fifty-dollar bonus with a deposit of five hundred dollars or more. Visit Wealthfront.com/Tim to get started.
This episode is brought to you by Athletic Greens. I get asked all the time, “If you could use only one supplement, what would it be?” My answer is usually AG1 by Athletic Greens, my all-in-one nutritional insurance. I recommended it in The 4-Hour Body in 2010 and did not get paid to do so. I do my best with nutrient-dense meals, of course, but AG further covers my bases with vitamins, minerals, and whole-food-sourced micronutrients that support gut health and the immune system.
Right now, Athletic Greens is offering you their Vitamin D Liquid Formula free with your first subscription purchase—a vital nutrient for a strong immune system and strong bones. Visit AthleticGreens.com/Tim to claim this special offer today and receive the free Vitamin D Liquid Formula (and 5 free travel packs) with your first subscription purchase! That’s up to a one-year supply of Vitamin D as added value when you try their delicious and comprehensive all-in-one daily greens product.
What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES…
Want to hear the episode where this thing all began? Give episode one with Kevin Rose a listen, in which we discuss what makes a good wine bar, why Kevin seems to be so good at predicting what’s next, the characteristics of winners, the story of Odeo (the company that birthed Twitter), tips on choosing angel investments, and more.
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- Connect with Kevin Rose:
The Kevin Rose Show | Oak Meditation | Zero | Instagram | Twitter
- The Tim Ferriss Podcast is Live! Here Are Episodes 1 and 2 | The Tim Ferriss Show
- Diggnation: Complete Series | Internet Archive
- Famiglia Cielo 1908 Wines
- The Napa Valley Reserve
- “I’ll Be Interviewing @tferriss for The Tim Ferriss Show, Episode #500…” | Kevin Rose, Twitter
- The 4 Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat Loss, Incredible Sex and Becoming Superhuman by Timothy Ferriss | Amazon
- Arnott’s Tim Tam Chocolate Biscuits | Amazon
- South Congress | Home Slice Pizza
- The Controlled Substances Act | DEA
- Legal’s Mate | EuropeEchecs
- 5-Bullet Friday
- Finding the One Decision That Removes 100 Decisions (or, Why I’m Reading No New Books in 2020) | Tim Ferriss
- Goodwill Industries International
- Marie Kondo — The Japanese Tidying Master | The Tim Ferriss Show #234
- Dart Throwing Monkeys and Buffett’s Bold Bet: Most Professional Investors Can’t Beat the Market | The Micawber Principle
- The Sunk Cost Fallacy | You Are Not So Smart
- Apo B: Understand the Test & Your Results | AACC Lab Tests Online
- Zetia (Ezetimibe Tablets) | RxList
- Desiccated Beef Liver Capsules | Amazon
- The Legend of Zelda | Nintendo
- Blue Bottle Coffee
- Policosanol: A Sweet Nothing for High Cholesterol | Harvard Heart Letter
- N of 1 Trial | Wikipedia
- Alpha-Lipoic Acid: Weight Loss, Other Benefits and Side Effects | Healthline
- Zinc: Benefits, Deficiency, Food Sources, and Side Effects | Healthline
- Jarrow Formulas Zinc Balance | Amazon
- The Random Show — Bitcoin Pros and Cons, 2021 Resolutions, Fave Books, Lucid Dreaming, Couples Therapy, and More | The Tim Ferriss Show
- Vitamin B-12 | Mayo Clinic
- L-methylfolate: Side Effects, Dosages, Treatment, Interactions, Warnings | RxList
- Jarrow Formulas Methyl B-12/Methyl Folate and Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate | Amazon
- Homocysteine | Wikipedia
- Cissus Quadrangularis: Uses, Benefits, Side Effects, and Dosage | Healthline
- Top 8 Health Benefits of MSM Supplements | Healthline
- Occam’s Protocol
- Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers by Timothy Ferriss
- The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferriss
- The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life by Timothy Ferriss
- Gluteus Medius | Physiopedia
- The Secrets of Gymnastic Strength Training | The Tim Ferriss Show
- The Secrets of Gymnastic Strength Training, Part Two — Home Equipment, Weighted Stretches, and Muscle-Ups | The Tim Ferriss Show
- Peter Attia, M.D. — Fasting, Metformin, Athletic Performance, and More | The Tim Ferriss Show
- My Life Extension Pilgrimage to Easter Island | The Tim Ferriss Show
- Paul Stamets — How Mushrooms Can Save You and (Perhaps) the World | The Tim Ferriss Show
- Michael Pollan — Exploring the Frontiers of Psychedelics | The Tim Ferriss Show
- Psychedelics — Microdosing, Mind-Enhancing Methods, and More | The Tim Ferriss Show
- Spirited Away (Japanese Language) | Prime Video
- Baraka | Prime Video
- Lilo And Stitch | Prime Video
- How To Train Your Dragon | Prime Video
- Pink Floyd: The Wall | Prime Video
- The Tim Ferriss Experiment: All 13 Episodes Overview | YouTube
- How to Do Parkour: Parkour for Beginners | The Art of Manliness
- A Brief History of the TV Dinner | Smithsonian Magazine
- Dinty Moore Beef Stew | Amazon
- Red Lobster Seafood Restaurants
- Jim Rohn: You’re the Average of the Five People You Spend the Most Time With | Business Insider
- Hellboy | Prime Video
- Bring Back the Power Donut | GQ
- Star Trek: The Next Generation | Prime Video
- Hugh Jackman on Best Decisions, Daily Routines, The 85% Rule, Favorite Exercises, Mind Training, and Much More | The Tim Ferriss Show
- Tim Ferriss Interviews Arnold Schwarzenegger on Psychological Warfare (and Much More) | The Tim Ferriss Show
- Jamie Foxx on Workout Routines, Success Habits, and Untold Hollywood Stories | The Tim Ferriss Show
- Jerry Seinfeld — A Comedy Legend’s Systems, Routines, and Methods for Success | The Tim Ferriss Show
- The Man Who Studied 1,000 Deaths to Learn How to Live | The Tim Ferriss Show
- Mary Karr — The Master of Memoir on Creative Process and Finding Gifts in the Suffering | The Tim Ferriss Show
- Elon Musk Interview | The Kevin Rose Show
- You Can Now Explore the CIA’s ‘Entire’ Collection of UFO Documents Online | Smithsonian Magazine
- What Are the Marfa Lights? | Live Science
- MKUltra: What We Know About the CIA’s Midcentury Mind-Control Project | Smithsonian Magazine
- Stargate Project: CIA Releases Psychic Experiment Documents | CNET
- Who Knew? Long Island a Hotbed for UFO Sightings | WSHU
- Safety Info | Viagra (Sildenafil Citrate)
- Web Sudoku
- Wheel of Fortune
- The World’s Largest Psychedelic Research Center | The Tim Ferriss Show
- Hendrick’s Gin
- Tequila Casa Dragones
- The Botanist Gin
- Sotol Is the Mexican Spirit That Will Replace Tequila and Mezcal | Esquire
- Desert Door Texas Sotol
- Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy (Resources) | Tim Ferriss
- My Healing Journey After Childhood Abuse (Includes Extensive Resource List) | The Tim Ferriss Show
- Reminiscing over accidentally copious quantities of wine about the time Kevin told me doing a podcast would be “stupid.” But then he helped me with the first episode of TimTim TalkTalk, anyway. [03:49]
- What one thing do I eat that I’ve never wanted to admit to the 4-Hour Body tribe? [08:41]
- After years of experimenting with so-called life hacks, have I found peace outside of having things or knowing things? [10:50]
- As I’m constantly trying new things, how do I ensure I don’t become buried under a mountain of stuff? [15:29]
- How do high performers know when to course correct (e.g., abandon faulty notions)? [21:38]
- When was the last time a blood or urine sample was stored in my fridge? [32:14]
- How did I meet and fall in love with my girlfriend? [36:04]
- Have I ever made a mistake in one of my books that I wish I could take back? [43:28]
- What supplements am I taking these days? [46:41]
- Do I still practice the 4-Hour Body regimen? What’s my approach to longevity, and what is my overall level of fitness like these days? [49:17]
- Best movie to watch on mushrooms? [55:18]
- A failure I haven’t talked about. [57:15]
- When it happens, what type of dad do I want to be? What attributes from my own father would I hope to carry over, and what tweaks might I make? [1:00:17]
- What would my billboard say these days? [1:05:05]
- Would I get a hair transplant? [1:06:06]
- While it’s impossible to pick a favorite episode out of the 500 so far, here are a few that stand out. [1:09:20]
- Do I believe in UFOs? [1:13:46]
- A harder question: have I ever tried Viagra? [1:16:29]
- Are there any more 4-Hour books on the horizon? [1:19:40]
- Where do I see myself in the next 10-20 years? Is retirement in the cards, or is there another path for Tim-Tim+? [1:20:29]
- What substances soothe my weary soul on an especially trying day? [1:23:09]
- Is there anything that makes me feel old? Is there anything that makes me feel young? [1:29:27]
- For what do I hope to be remembered when I shuffle off this mortal coil? [1:30:18]
- At 500, how many more episodes do I think I have left in me? [1:41:06]
- Parting thoughts. [1:43:28]
- Darya Rose
- Chris Sacca
- Bill Richards
- Mary Cosimano
- Warren Buffett
- Donald Knuth
- Tony Conrad
- David Blaine
- Glenn McElhose
- Peter Attia
- Kid ‘n Play
- Agent Clay
- Jean-Luc Picard
- Hugh Jackman
- Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Jamie Foxx
- Jerry Seinfeld
- BJ Miller
- Mary Karr
- Elon Musk
- Tony Stark
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 900 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.
Comment Rules: Remember what Fonzie was like? Cool. That’s how we’re gonna be — cool. Critical is fine, but if you’re rude, we’ll delete your stuff. Please do not put your URL in the comment text and please use your PERSONAL name or initials and not your business name, as the latter comes off like spam. Have fun and thanks for adding to the conversation! (Thanks to Brian Oberkirch for the inspiration.)
13 Replies to “KevKev TimTim TalkTalk on Dragon Slaying, Lessons Learned, Viagra, and Assorted Nonsense (#500)”
Entertaining and a lot of fun perspectives 🙂
Congrats on the milestone, and may there be many more! (especially of the TimTim TalkTalk variety)
I have been following your content since 2007. It has been delightful to view the evolution of your content and you as a person. I have gained value from the content you have created and I know many others have.
Here’s to 500 more episodes!
IMPORTANT: Tim, based on some hints you’ve given and my intuition, I gather that parenting is imminent for you. Wanna talk about it? In my experience as an elite athlete, self-experimenter, and inward-journey enthusiast, parenting has been the most powerful portal to self-growth; it’s a flurry of blind spots revealed and a call to be your best self.
As a parenting coach, I help motivated people become the parents they long to be, especially if they grew up with some level of trauma (read: an ACEs score) and/or are looking to end generational cycles of dysfunction. This usually means adopting a totally new toolkit than the one they used to become successful in other areas of their lives. Michael Phelps alluded to this exact phenomenon in your recent episode with him.
I had to discover and master this toolkit myself for the same reasons; most of the things I did to achieve in life prior to parenting backfired when I became a mom. I had to re-orient, re-tool, and re-invent. The stakes were too high to do otherwise.
I teach a blend of high-performance tactics, mindfulness, and best parenting practices to support all parents … especially the ones with not-so-easy kids (the ones, as you said recently, who “kick you in the nuts”).
I have a private practice and just wrote my first book. Yeah, I’m small potatoes, but the work I’m doing is unique in the parenting space; these small potatoes pretty effin’ tasty.
Dude, I really hope this reaches you; I relate to so much of what you struggle with and where you’ve been. Would love to be of service to you if you feel it.
To Your Best,
~ Laine Lipsky
Hi Tim I’m exactly one year behind on your podcasts and trying to catch up. It is so interesting listening to you and your guests just staring the pandemic, from the perspective of today. Thank you for all your content.
Congratulations for this milestone, Tim!
You deliver very quality content and different point of views. I wish you to have 500 more episodes!
I have a random question that I’m hoping someone can answer.
In a previous interview, Tim talked about a documentary or book (I can’t remember) about someone who tried to replicate every recipe from an extremely complicated cook book, I believe from The French Laundry.
Can someone please help me remember the title of this book, or documentary?
Hi Michael, is it the book and film “Julie & Julia” you are looking for?
Michael, the restaurant was the Alinea and the someone was Allen Hemberger. You can find more about it here: https://www.allenhemberger.com/alinea/.
Massive congratulations on the milestone, Tim! And it all started with you guys just joking around 😉 How time flies when you enjoy what you do.
Tim, congrats on a major milestone. Your podcast has directly and positively shaped many aspects of my life from diet, to parenting, to work pursuits. So many gems of wisdom I’ve heard over the years from you and your guests. Keep up the good work.
Love your show but know that you can be more creative in your speech and use words other than f#@k.
“The story I’m making up in my head,” is from Brene Brown’s book, Rising Strong. So good! ❤️ Giving credit where credit’s due.