In this episode, I answer the most up-voted questions from subscribers to 5-Bullet Friday, the free newsletter I send out every week.
In this Q&A, I reveal:
- The five health markers I check and watch regularly.
- Strategies to prevent or minimize binge eating during times of stress.
- The most valuable skills for securing financial freedom.
- My philospophy on having children.
- Productivity advice
- And much, much more.
Want to ask me your own questions? Just subscribe to 5-Bullet Friday, which — every Friday — sends five bullet points of cool things I’ve found that week, including apps, books, gadgets, albums, articles, new hacks or tricks, and — of course — all sorts of weird stuff I dig up around the world. It’s free, it’s always going to be free, and you can check it out here: tim.blog/friday.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another Q&A episode? — Listen to this episode where I discuss the Myer’s-Briggs personality test, diet mistakes, immortality, and much, much more (stream below or right-click here to download):
This episode is brought to you by LegalZoom. I’ve used this service for many of my businesses, as have quite a few of the icons on this podcast — such as Automattic CEO Matt Mullenweg of WordPress fame.
LegalZoom is a reliable resource that more than a million people have already trusted for everything from setting up wills, proper trademark searches, forming LLCs, setting up non-profits, or finding simple cease-and-desist letter templates.
LegalZoom is not a law firm, but it does have a network of independent attorneys available in most states who can give you advice on the best way to get started, provide contract reviews, and otherwise help you run your business with complete transparency and up-front pricing. Check out LegalZoom.com and enter promo code TIM at checkout today for special savings and see how the fine folks there can make life easier for you and your business.
This podcast is also brought to you by WordPress, my go-to platform for 24/7-supported, zero downtime blogging, writing online, and creating websites.
Whether for personal use or business, you’re in good company with WordPress — used by The New Yorker, Jay-Z, FiveThirtyEight, TechCrunch, TED, CNN, and Time, just to name a few. A source at Google told me that WordPress offers “the best out-of-the-box SEO imaginable,” which is probably why it runs nearly 30% of the Internet. Go to WordPress.com/Tim to get 15% off your website today!
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Subscribe to 5-Bullet Friday:
- Episodes featuring Dr. Peter Attia
- How to Lose 100 Pounds on The Slow-Carb Diet by Tim Ferriss
- Tribe of Mentors by Timothy Ferriss
- Waking Up App Beta Test conversation on Reddit
- The Tail End by Tim Urban, Wait But Why
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World by Cal Newport
- Vipassana Meditation
- Patagonia Classic Retro-X Vest
- Datsusara Hemp Gear
- Due North Foot Rubz Foot Hand and Back Massage Ball
- Black Diamond Head Lamps
- TheraZinc Spray
- VooDoo Floss Bands
- The Five-Minute Journal
- The Artist’s Way Morning Pages Journal by Julia Cameron
- Mack’s Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs
- Sleep Master Sleep Mask
- 37-in-1 Wallet Multitool Card
- SureFire Tactical Flashlights
- Paracord Bracelets
- Starting a Fire with a Paracord Bow Drill
- Tim Ferriss Experiment Urban Evasion and Escape
- Rich Dad Poor Dad: What the Rich Teach Their Kids About Money That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not! by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- Rich Dad’s Cashflow Quadrant
- The Psychology of Automation: Building a Bulletproof Personal Finance System by Ramit Sethi
- ABCs Of Investing: Alpha, Beta, And Correlation by Rob Russell, Forbes
- Unshakeable: Your Financial Freedom Playbook by Tony Robbins
- MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom by Tony Robbins
- An Essay on Ben Graham’s “Mr. Market” by Warren Buffett
- How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie
- Fear-Setting: The Most Valuable Exercise I Do Every Month
- Myers Briggs Personality Types
- Toastmasters International
- Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual by Jocko Willink
- Less Is More: An Anthology of Ancient & Modern Voices Raised in Praise of Simplicity by Goldian VandenBroeck
- The Essential Rumi by Jalal al-Din Rumi
- Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer
- Musashi: An Epic Novel of the Samurai Era by Eiji Yoshikawa and Charles Terry
- The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan Kundera
- Principles: Life and Work by Ray Dalio
- Go Set with Reversible Bamboo Board
- Majesty Surfacing by Paul Nicklen
- New Research and a Dirty Truth: Read This Before Chasing the Dollar by Tim Ferriss
- Understanding the Pareto Principle (The 80/20 Rule)
- Tim Ferriss and Jimmy Do AcroYoga, The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon
- I talk about my 10-day silent retreat on 10% Happier with Dan Harris.
- Spirit Rock — An Insight Meditation Center
- Real Mind Control: The 21-Day No-Complaint Experiment
- What are the top five health markers I check and watch regularly? [04:39]
- How do I manage all of my contacts? [08:49]
- Do I have any strategies to prevent or minimize binge eating during times of stress? [11:57]
- What’s next now that my book (Tribe of Mentors) has launched? [16:12]
- What do I keep on my person as my EDC (every day carry), and how do I carry it? [19:30]
- What are the most valuable skills for securing financial freedom and being better with money? [23:44]
- Do I have a philosophy about having children? [40:04]
- I always ask guests what advice they would give to their younger selves. How might such advice differ given to a 40-year-old? [43:46]
- Should introverts become more extroverted or just embrace their introverted tendencies? [45:37]
- How do I arrange my home’s interior to optimize my mental state and effectiveness? [48:04]
- Productivity advice for ambitious people who eschew the daily grind of routines. [51:26]
- How am I enjoying life in Austin? [53:26]
- What questions should a person ask themselves to determine their “where” of happiness? [54:09]
- If I could only record one more podcast, who — living or dead — would I interview? [57:01]
- What are the pros and cons of a silent retreat? [57:54]
- Why have I not illustrated or sketched in my books? [1:02:06]
- Here’s a 21-day no complaint experiment we can all tackle together. [1:03:30]
- Peter Attia
- Dominic D’Agostino
- Kathy Sierra
- Gretchen Rubin
- Tim O’Reilly
- Sam Harris
- Tim Urban
- Cal Newport
- Amelia Boone
- Art De Vany
- Kelly Starrett
- Kevin Reeve
- Dave Ramsey
- Robert T. Kiyosaki
- Ramit Sethi
- John D. Rockefeller
- Warren Buffet
- Charlie Munger
- Paul Tudor Jones
- Tony Robbins
- Richard Branson
- Naval Ravikant
- Mike Maples, Jr.
- Jerzy Gregorek
- Charles Darwin
- P.T. Barnum
- Steve Jobs
- Matt Mullenweg
- Jocko Willink
- Miyamoto Musashi
- Milan Kundera
- Ray Dalio
- Paul Nicklen
- Cristina Mittermeier
- W.H. Auden
- Jimmy Fallon
- Dan Harris
- Jack Kornfield
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 900 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.