“I’m not the strongest. I’m not the fastest. But I’m really good at suffering.” – Amelia Boone
Amelia Boone (@ameliaboone) has been called the Michael Jordan of obstacle course racing (OCR). This episode explores her training, nutrition, rehab, “pre-hab,” and more.
In a sense, Amelia is more impressive than MJ, as she conquered OCR while building a stellar full-time career in law.
Since the sport’s inception, she’s amassed more than 30 victories and 50 podiums. In the 2012 World’s Toughest Mudder competition, which lasted 24 hours, she finished 2nd OVERALL out of 1,000+ competitors. This was ahead of every male except the winner, who beat her by just 8 minutes.
Her major victories include the Spartan Race World Championship (2013), Spartan Race Series Point Champion (2013 and 2015), and she is the only three-time winner of the World’s Toughest Mudder (2012, 2014 and 2015). She won the 2014 WTM eight weeks after knee surgery. Amelia is also a three-time finisher of the Death Race, and dabbles in ultra-running in all of her spare time.
Phew… I’m exhausted just writing this intro, but Amelia can do it all while eating Pop-Tarts for breakfast (seriously).
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Love wrestling as much as Amelia Boone? You will probably enjoy my podcast with Triple H. — In this episode, we discuss pre-fight rituals, injury avoidance, and Floyd Mayweather, Jr. (stream below or right-click here to download):
Craving more OCR? Then you’ll want to check out my podcast with Joe De Sena, co-founder of the Death Race and Spartan Race. In this episode, we discuss grit, endurance, and building empires (stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by 99Designs, the world’s largest marketplace of graphic designers. I have used them for years to create some amazing designs. When your business needs a logo, website design, business card, or anything you can imagine, check out 99Designs.
I used them to rapid prototype the cover for The 4-Hour Body, and I’ve also had them help with display advertising and illustrations. If you want a more personalized approach, I recommend their 1-on-1 service. You get original designs from designers around the world. The best part? You provide your feedback, and then you end up with a product that you’re happy with or your money back. Click this link and get a free $99 upgrade. Give it a test run.
This podcast is also brought to you by Wealthfront. Wealthfront is a massively disruptive (in a good way) set-it-and-forget-it investing service, led by technologists from places like Apple and world-famous investors. It has exploded in popularity in the last 2 years and now has more than $2.5B under management. In fact, some of my good investor friends in Silicon Valley have millions of their own money in Wealthfront. Why? Because you can get services previously limited to the ultra-wealthy and only pay pennies on the dollar for them, and it’s all through smarter software instead of retail locations and bloated sales teams.
Check out wealthfront.com/tim, take their risk assessment quiz, which only takes 2-5 minutes, and they’ll show you—for free–exactly the portfolio they’d put you in. If you want to just take their advice and do it yourself, you can. Or, as I would, you can set it and forget it. Well worth a few minutes: wealthfront.com/tim.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: Who do you consider the most dominant athlete right now and why? Please let me know in the comments. Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Check you AmeliaBooneRacing.com
- Learn more about Scott Kenneally, our mutual friend in suffering
- Learn more about electrical muscle stimulation
- Learn more about Active Release Technique (A.R.T.)
- Learn more about dry needling
- Check out BeetElite, Amelia’s pre-workout supplement
- In NYC this winter? Check out Brodo for delicious bone broth.
- House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski
- The Goonies
- Learn more about a Tyrolean traverse
- Connect with Amelia Boone on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
- Defining obstacle course racing [6:19]
- Origin stories and law school [10:09]
- Pre-race routines [15:59]
- Pre-race mobility work [18:09]
- Post-race recovery habits [21:59]
- Amelia Boone’s opinion on ice baths [22:59]
- Discussing how she placed 1st for women and 2nd overall (of men and women) in the 2012 World’s Toughest Mudder [23:34]
- On practicing hardship and training in less than ideal conditions [28:29]
- The most challenging and the most dangerous obstacles of Amelia Boone’s career [30:14]
- On knee surgery and her quick recovery [36:29]
- Nutrition habits and superstitions [45:29]
- The different gear for obstacle course races and ultra-marathons [50:24]
- Daily supplements [54:29]
- Injury prevention and average running miles per week [57:09]
- Amelia Boone’s daily morning rituals [1:01:24]
- What is your self-talk during races? [1:03:59]
- Interesting coping approaches for long-distance obstacle racing [1:07:24]
- Do you have a specific meditative practice? [1:08:14]
- Why move back to California? [1:09:39]
- How do you keep your body limber after ice or water immersion during a race? [1:10:49]
- When you hear the word successful, who is the first person that comes to mind and why? [1:11:19]
- Most gifted books [1:14:59]
- Favorite documentaries or movies [1:16:34]
- A purchase of less than $100 that has most positively affected your life in recent memory [1:17:09]
- Important habits to staying connected in the ‘social media’ world [1:19:14]
- If you could have a billboard anywhere, what would it say? [1:20:59]
- Is dating a challenge? [1:23:14]
- Advice to Amelia Boone’s 20- and 25-year-old self [1:24:49]
- People Amelia Boone would like to meet [1:27:39]
- Asks or requests of the audience [1:28:39]
Posted on: December 22, 2015.
Please check out Tools of Titans, my latest book, which shares the tactics, routines, and habits of billionaires, icons, and world-class performers. It was distilled from more than 10,000 pages of notes, and everything has been vetted and tested in my own life in some fashion. The tips and tricks in Tools of Titans changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for sample chapters, full details, and a Foreword from Arnold Schwarzenegger.