“I love quotes…but, in the end, knowledge has to be converted to action or it’s worthless.” – Tony Robbins
For those of you that aren’t familiar, Tony Robbins is the world’s most famous performance coach. He’s advised everyone from Bill Clinton to Mikhail Gorbachev to Serena Williams, and Leonardo DiCaprio to Oprah (who calls him “superhuman”).
This time around, we discussed a number of topics we didn’t cover in our previous interviews. I also hit him with some new rapid-fire questions. Some of the highlights of our conversation include:
- Tony’s best investment ever
- Quotes he lives by (and how he puts them into action)
- The worst advice he regularly hears
- Why he changed his diet for the first time since age 17
- And much, much more
If you only have 5 minutes, listen to this segment where Tony explains “The 90-second rule.”
Without further ado, please enjoy this follow-up conversation with Tony Robbins.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another podcast with Tony Robbins? — Listen to my conversation with Tony and Peter Diamandis, the CEO of the XPRIZE Foundation. In this podcast, you’ll learn from two successful businessmen who regularly advise everyone from Serena Williams to Bill Clinton, from NASA to the world’s fastest growing companies (stream below or right-click here to download):
All you need to do to get your free 30-day Audible trial is go to Audible.com/Tim. Choose one of the above books, or choose any of the endless options they offer. That could be a book, a newspaper, a magazine, or even a class. It’s that easy. Go to Audible.com/Tim and get started today. Enjoy.
This podcast is also brought to you by Wealthfront. Wealthfront is a massively disruptive (in a good way) set-it-and-forget-it investing service led by technologists from places like Apple. It has exploded in popularity in the last two years and now has more than $2.5B under management. Why? Because you can get services previously limited to the ultra-wealthy and only pay pennies on the dollar for them, and it’s all through smarter software instead of retail locations and bloated sales teams.
Check out wealthfront.com/tim, take their risk assessment quiz, which only takes 2-5 minutes, and they’ll show you — for free — exactly the portfolio they’d put you in. If you want to just take their advice and do it yourself, you can. Well worth a few minutes to explore: wealthfront.com/tim.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Tony Robbins:
- Tony Robbins on Morning Routines, Peak Performance, and Mastering Money
- Tony Robbins and Peter Diamandis (XPRIZE) on the Magic of Thinking BIG
- Tony Robbins: I Am Not Your Guru – Official Trailer
- Tiny trampolines
- Date with Destiny
- Dissociative identity disorder
- The Exorcist Trailer (1973)
- The Psychedelic Explorer’s Guide — Risks, Micro-Dosing, Ibogaine, and More
- MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom by Tony Robbins
- Feeding America
- Creative Planning
- Is My Financial Advisor a Fiduciary or a Stockbroker? by Ethan S. Braid, HighPass Asset Management
- What Is Sleep Apnea?, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- The 10 Most Expensive Artworks of 2015 (includes Mark Rothko, No. 10, 1958)
- Mork & Mindy
- Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff and It’s All Small Stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things From Taking Over Your Life by Richard Carlson
- Tony Robbins Sets the Record Straight About Fire Walk ‘Controversy’ by Marianne Schnall, The Huffington Post
- Unleash the Power Within
- Metallica — Some Kind of Monster
- Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills
- Maggie Siff on ‘Billions’: ‘I Might Leave Marks’ by Kathryn Shattuck, The New York Times
- Traverse City Film Festival
- Safety and Efficacy of Repetitive Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy In Patients with Lumber Spinal Stenosis by Miyako Suzuki, et al., Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University and Kitasato University School of Medicine
- Dr. Chris Shade on Mercury Toxicity, Revolution Health Radio with Chris Kresser
- Quicksilver Scientific: The Mercury Speciation Detoxification Company
- When you face a deadline and your brain won’t connect, sometimes you have to ask: What would Tony Robbins do? [06:42]
- How does a small trampoline fit into Tony’s daily routine? [09:56]
- Tony recalls a particularly difficult intervention and how he handled it. [11:04]
- Tony touches on circumstances surrounding interventions he’s done with historical figures. [17:40]
- Tony demonstrates how he unearths what motivates people in order to help them. [18:18]
- Tony’s best investment of money, time, or energy. (Hint: it amounted to $35.) [27:42]
- Tony on the power of decisions, the hunt for excellence, and quotes to live by. [31:28]
- The worst advice Tony hears most often. [34:30]
- “Life is always happening for us, not to us…” [41:20]
- Tony talks about the art (not science) of fulfillment. [44:57]
- Tony tells us the biggest lie on the planet. [49:33]
- Suffering comes from these three thought patterns. [51:26]
- Tony explains the 90-second rule. [55:35]
- What’s the most important decision you can make? [58:56]
- Why self-preservation isn’t selfish. [59:48]
- Tony explains how the 90-second rule helped him cope with some recent trouble in Dallas. [1:04:41]
- Tony demonstrates the 90-second rule process. [1:07:17]
- How has Tony’s Date with Destiny program evolved over the past decade? [1:17:17]
- Tony tells us how the I Am Not Your Guru documentary came to life. [1:18:55]
- Tony talks about the possibility of pain without suffering. [1:26:33]
- John Denver
- Diane Sawyer
- Marc Benioff
- William J. Clinton
- Princess Diana
- Mikhail Gorbachev
- George H. W. Bush
- Margaret Thatcher
- Amelia Boone
- Jim Rohn
- Warren Buffett
- Dale Carnegie
- Peter Mallouk
- Steve Wynn
- Mark Rothko
- Robin Williams
- Paul Tudor Jones II
- Arianna Huffington
- Joe Berlinger
- Maggie Siff
- Brian Koppelman
- Michael Moore
- Christopher Shade
Legal Disclosure: Tony Robbins is a board member and Chief of Investor Psychology at Creative Planning, Inc. (www.CreativePlanning.net), an SEC Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) with wealth managers serving all 50 states. Mr. Robbins receives compensation for serving in this capacity based on increased business derived by Creative Planning from his services. Accordingly, Mr. Robbins has a financial incentive to refer investors to Creative Planning.
Posted on: August 10, 2016.
Please check out Tribe of Mentors, my newest book, which shares short, tactical life advice from 100+ world-class performers. Many of the world's most famous entrepreneurs, athletes, investors, poker players, and artists are part of the book. The tips and strategies in Tribe of Mentors have already changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for a sample chapter and full details. Roughly 90% of the guests have never appeared on my podcast.
Who was interviewed? Here's a very partial list: tech icons (founders of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Craigslist, Pinterest, Spotify, Salesforce, Dropbox, and more), Jimmy Fallon, Arianna Huffington, Brandon Stanton (Humans of New York), Lord Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ben Stiller, Maurice Ashley (first African-American Grandmaster of chess), Brené Brown (researcher and bestselling author), Rick Rubin (legendary music producer), Temple Grandin (animal behavior expert and autism activist), Franklin Leonard (The Black List), Dara Torres (12-time Olympic medalist in swimming), David Lynch (director), Kelly Slater (surfing legend), Bozoma Saint John (Beats/Apple/Uber), Lewis Cantley (famed cancer researcher), Maria Sharapova, Chris Anderson (curator of TED), Terry Crews, Greg Norman (golf icon), Vitalik Buterin (creator of Ethereum), and nearly 100 more. Check it all out by clicking here.