“Let the silence do the work.”
– Cal Fussman
Many of you have asked me about strategies for building a popular blog and podcast. I’ve covered some aspects of growing a podcast in a previous post, and then Mari Takahashi (@atomicmari)—a successful ballerina, gamer, and content creator—sent me some very good questions that I haven’t discussed before.
This episode goes into detail about how I’ve built The Tim Ferriss Show into a podcast that has almost 300 million downloads and how my blog receives between three and four million unique visitors per month.
There are certainly bigger podcasts and blogs, but I share how I’ve been able to grow both with only a couple full-time employees and a few part-time assistants. Enjoy!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another solo episode where I answer your questions? Listen to this episode where I discuss how I would update The 4-Hour Workweek today. I discuss common questions and misperceptions, and how I would adjust certain chapters and recommendations. Listen to it here (stream below or right-click to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Four Sigmatic. While I often praise this company’s Lion’s Mane Mushroom Coffee, I asked the founders if they could help me improve my sleep. Their answer: Reishi Mushroom Elixir. They made a special batch for me and my listeners that comes without sweetener; you can try it at bedtime with a little honey or nut milk, or you can just add hot water to your single-serving packet and embrace its bitterness like I do.
Try it right now by going to foursigmatic.com/ferriss and using the code Ferriss to get 20 percent off this rare, limited run of Reishi Mushroom Elixir. If you are in the experimental mindset, I do not think you’ll be disappointed.
This podcast is also brought to you by FreshBooks. FreshBooks is the #1 cloud bookkeeping software, which is used by a ton of the start-ups I advise and many of the contractors I work with. It is the easiest way to send invoices, get paid, track your time, and track your clients.
FreshBooks tells you when your clients have viewed your invoices, helps you customize your invoices, track your hours, automatically organize your receipts, have late payment reminders sent automatically and much more.
Right now you can get a free month of complete and unrestricted use. You do not need a credit card for the trial. To claim your free month and see how the brand new Freshbooks can change your business, go to FreshBooks.com/Tim and enter “Tim Ferriss” in the “how did you hear about us” section.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Mari Takahashi:
- Zoom H6 Six-Track Portable Recorder
- XLR 3 Pin Microphone Cable (6 feet)
- Shure KSM8/N Dualdyne Vocal Microphone
- Shure SM58-LC Cardioid Vocal Microphone without Cable
- Panasonic Eneloop Rechargable Batteries
- Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone
- Ecamm Call Recorder
- Yellowtec: iXm
- Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You by John Warrillow
- Tribe of Mentors Intro
- The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferriss
- How I Built a #1-Ranked Podcast With 60M+ Downloads
- The 4-Hour Chef Official Trailer
- Contextual Advertising
- Native Advertising
- Disclosure — The Full Monty
- Wait But Why
- Broken Windows Theory
- What equipment do I use on the road; does it differ from what I use at home? [09:32]
- How do I set myself — and my guest — up for a good interview? [14:08]
- What does Cal Fussman mean when he says “Let the silence do the work?” [23:57]
- Questions I’ve stopped asking in interviews. [25:32]
- How far ahead do I bank content or episodes? [27:34]
- Do I recommend seeking out a podcast network? What are the advantages and disadvantages of belonging to one? [30:15]
- Different approaches to monetizing and ranking. [34:02]
- Is it better to name a blog after oneself for recognition, or use a company name to reach a broader audience? [38:40]
- What do I suggest for a blogging platform? [40:20]
- Pointers for getting started blogging without worrying about it being perfect. [43:40]
- What should be outsourced in the interest of saving time? [45:28]
- How do I handle scheduling/automating social media or podcasts? [47:11]
- How much revenue can you get from ads on your blog? [48:20]
- Do users stay longer on a blog that has no advertisements? Is embedded affiliate income a better strategy to bring in revenue? [49:28]
- At what point is it necessary to seek out guest editors to contribute to a blog? [51:05]
- Are there any widgets I can’t live without? [52:37]
- How do I handle comments? [53:20]
- Final thoughts on what it really takes to build popular — and sustainable — podcasts and blogs. [55:11]
- Mari Takahashi
- Bryan Callen
- Brendan Schaub
- James Lipton
- Edward Norton
- Terry Crews
- Cal Fussman
- Mikhail Gorbachev
- George Clooney
- Muhammad Ali
- Derek Sivers
- Elon Musk
- Steve Jobs
- Tony Robbins
- Barack Obama
- Brian Lam
- Tim Urban
- Seth Godin
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 600 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.