“There are three things you can’t fake: 1. Fighting, 2. Sex, and 3. Comedy.” (Tweet It)
– Bryan Callen
Alright, this may be the funniest episode yet.
Bryan Callen is a world-class comic and prolific actor. He travels the globe performing stand-up comedy for sold-out audiences, and — in his spare time — regularly appears on shows like Frasier, Entourage, Law & Order, CSI, Sex and the City, Oz, The King of Queens, and How I Met Your Mother.
Bryan is also INCREDIBLY well read. Don’t miss the show notes and links below.
In this episode, we delve into the craft of comedy, fixing education (or shortcuts within it), habits and tricks for boosting creativity, writing, and the general pursuit of excellence.
And, of course, eating corgis…
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download it as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This podcast is brought to you by 99Designs, the world’s largest marketplace of graphic designers. Did you know I used 99Designs to rapid prototype the cover for The 4-Hour Body? Here are some of the impressive results.
This episode is also brought to you by ExOfficio, which I’ve personally used since 2005 or so. They make ultra-lightweight, quick drying, antimicrobial clothing for men and women. Here’s my own ultra-light packing list (scroll down for video), which went viral.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: Who are your 2-3 favorite comedians? What style or traits make them memorable? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
And PLEASE — Do you enjoy this podcast? If so, please leave a short review here. They’re very important and keep me going.
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Bryan: Website | Twitter
- Warrior with Bryan Callen
- Comedian – Documentary on the craft of comedy
- The Fighter and the Kid – Podcast with Bryan and UFC Heavyweight, Brendan Schaub
- QuestBridge.org – Leverage your support for high-achieving, low-income students
- Excellent Sheep by William Deresiewicz
- 100 Years of Solitude & Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
- Art of Learning (On Audio) by Josh Waitzkin (My interview with Josh is here)
- The Somerset Collection
- The Symposium and Dialogues by Plato
- Dying Every Day by James Romm
- Bryan’s favorite Twitter: Taking Hayek Seriously
- Fed Up – A documentary about the food industry
- Bad Science & Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre
- Nutritional Science Initiative – The Manhattan Project of nutrition (I advise)
- Fiasco by Thomas E. Ricks
- Hardcore History – Specifically, Wrath of the Khans
- The Looming Tower & Going Clear by Lawrence Wright
- Jazz & Baseball – documentaries by Ken Burns
- If This Is a Man & The Truce by Primo Levi
- How Bryan Callen and Tim Ferriss started dating [9:45]
- On fighting, sex, and comedy [10:50]
- How to create a long-term career in comedy [11:45]
- On public education [15:45]
- Bryan Callen’s creative process [23:45]
- Comics who inspire Bryan [34:05]
- Bryan’s first great performance [36:50]
- How Bryan Callen developed his appetite for reading [42:05]
- Bryan Callen’s first paid gig [47:30]
- Rapid fire questions: Pilsner, aged wine, politics, pit bulls, hunting, originality, and eating corgis [01:04:45]
- Niel Brennan
- Joe Rogan
- Keith Ferrazzi
- Travis Kalanick
- Brendan Schaub
- Hunter Maats
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Ernest Hemingway
- Flannery O’Connor
- Fiona Apple
- Harry Connick Jr.
- Steven Wright
- Mitch Hedberg
- George Carlin
- Richard Pryor
- Dov Davidoff
- Sebastian Maniscalco
- Tom Segura
- Bret Ernst
- Ayn Rand
- Friedrich Nietzsche
- Joseph Campbell
- Joshua Waitzkin
- Steve Jobs
- Lawrence Wright
- Ken Burns
- Primo Levi
- David Blaine
Posted on: December 1, 2014.
Please check out Tribe of Mentors, my newest book, which shares short, tactical life advice from 100+ world-class performers. Many of the world's most famous entrepreneurs, athletes, investors, poker players, and artists are part of the book. The tips and strategies in Tribe of Mentors have already changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for a sample chapter and full details. Roughly 90% of the guests have never appeared on my podcast.
Who was interviewed? Here's a very partial list: tech icons (founders of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Craigslist, Pinterest, Spotify, Salesforce, Dropbox, and more), Jimmy Fallon, Arianna Huffington, Brandon Stanton (Humans of New York), Lord Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ben Stiller, Maurice Ashley (first African-American Grandmaster of chess), Brené Brown (researcher and bestselling author), Rick Rubin (legendary music producer), Temple Grandin (animal behavior expert and autism activist), Franklin Leonard (The Black List), Dara Torres (12-time Olympic medalist in swimming), David Lynch (director), Kelly Slater (surfing legend), Bozoma Saint John (Beats/Apple/Uber), Lewis Cantley (famed cancer researcher), Maria Sharapova, Chris Anderson (curator of TED), Terry Crews, Greg Norman (golf icon), Vitalik Buterin (creator of Ethereum), and nearly 100 more. Check it all out by clicking here.