In this episode, I answer the most up-voted questions from subscribers to 5-Bullet Friday, the free newsletter I send out every week.
In this Q&A, I reveal:
- My 3-5 favorite books of the past year.
- Technologies and apps that have made my life easier.
- How to build a new network from scratch.
- My top five supplements for longevity and well-being.
- The exercises and self-talk I use for avoiding (or minimizing) depression.
Want to ask me your own questions? Just subscribe to 5-Bullet Friday, which — every Friday — sends five bullet points of cool things I’ve found that week, including apps, books, gadgets, albums, articles, new hacks or tricks, and — of course — all sorts of weird stuff I dig up around the world. It’s free, it’s always going to be free, and you can check it out here: tim.blog/friday.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another Q&A episode? — Listen to this episode where I discuss the Myer’s-Briggs personality test, diet mistakes, immortality, and much, much more (stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Four Sigmatic. I reached out to these Finnish entrepreneurs after a very talented acrobat introduced me to one of their products, which blew my mind (in the best way possible). It is mushroom coffee featuring chaga. It tastes like coffee, but there are only 40 milligrams of caffeine, so it has less than half of what you would find in a regular cup of coffee. I do not get any jitters, acid reflux, or any type of stomach burn. It put me on fire for an entire day, and I only had half of the packet.
People are always asking me what I use for cognitive enhancement right now — this is the answer. You can try it right now by going to foursigmatic.com/tim and using the code Tim to get 20 percent off your first order. If you are in the experimental mindset, I do not think you’ll be disappointed.
This episode is also brought to you by LegalZoom. I’ve used this service for many of my businesses, as have quite a few of the icons on this podcast — such as Automattic CEO Matt Mullenweg of WordPress fame.
LegalZoom is a reliable resource that more than a million people have already trusted for everything from setting up wills, proper trademark searches, forming LLCs, setting up non-profits, or finding simple cease-and-desist letter templates.
LegalZoom is not a law firm, but it does have a network of independent attorneys available in most states who can give you advice on the best way to get started, provide contract reviews, and otherwise help you run your business with complete transparency and up-front pricing. Check out LegalZoom.com and enter promo code TIM at checkout today to save 15%, and see how the fine folks there can make life easier for you and your business.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Subscribe to 5-Bullet Friday: tim.blog/friday
- How to Build a World-Class Network in Record Time
- Clif Energy Bars
- Chicken Soup for the Soul by Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen
- The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferriss
- Some Practical Thoughts on Suicide
- My recent TED Talk: Fear-Setting: The Most Valuable Exercise I Do Every Month
- Utilize the “Steel Man” Tactic to Argue More Effectively by Eric Ravenscraft, Lifehacker
- Think Twice: Harnessing the Power of Counterintuition by Michael J. Mauboussin
- Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin to Munger by Peter Bevelin
- Poor Charlie’s Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger by Charles T. Munger and Peter D. Kaufman
- The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat Loss, Incredible Sex and Becoming Superhuman by Timothy Ferriss
- The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life by Timothy Ferriss
- BJ Fogg’s Behavior Model
- Microplane 40020 Classic Zester/Grater
- Joule — “The world’s smallest, smartest, and sexiest sous vide tool.”
- Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World by Timothy Ferriss
- Spinal Tap — “These Go to Eleven…”
- “Productivity” Tricks for the Neurotic, Manic-Depressive, and Crazy (Like Me)
- Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers by Timothy Ferriss
- Principles: Life and Work by Ray Dalio
- The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
- Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge A Radical History of Plants, Drugs, and Human Evolution by Terence McKenna
- Tara Brach on Meditation and Overcoming FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out)
- Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
- Momentum extension for Chrome
- A simple countdown timer: E.gg Timer
- How to Get Everything Done in Just 4 Hours, Even in a Coworking Space by Emma Hinchliffe, Mashable
- Wait But Why
- Miele Futura Classic Plus Dishwasher with Cutlery Tray for Silverware
- Ascent Protein
- The Philosophy of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: Stoic Philosophy as Rational and Cognitive Psychotherapy by Donald Robertson
- The Tao of Seneca: Practical Letters from a Stoic Master
- The 30-Day Challenge: No Booze, No Masturbating (NOBNOM)
- My Life Extension Pilgrimage to Easter Island
- Metformin: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects
- Dom D’Agostino on Disease Prevention, Cancer, and Living Longer
- Dom D’Agostino on Fasting, Ketosis, and the End of Cancer
- Should We All Take a Bit of Lithium? by Anna Fels, The New York Times
- Bragg USDA Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- Bedtime Honey Improves Sleep “1000%. Crazy Good Tip” by Seth Roberts, Seth’s Blog
- How do you find great, like-minded people when you’re new in town? [05:02]
- What am I most proud of? [07:22]
- What processes do I use to break a bad habit or convert it into a positive habit? [12:33]
- Simple chef secrets for changing good food to great food. [14:05]
- When is my next book coming out? (Actually, it’s out now!) [17:36]
- What self-talk keeps me from the precipice of suicidal thoughts and depression now? [18:41]
- Top books I’ve read this year. [24:14]
- Why is worldly success apparently so important to me? [26:26]
- What recent apps/technologies have made my life easier? [29:24]
- If I could only ask one question of my guests on this podcast, what would that question be? [31:01]
- What advice would I give a 24-year-old male struggling to control his sex drive? [32:22]
- If I were only able to take five supplements for longevity and well-being, what would they be? [36:08]
- Trip Hawkins
- Ed Byrd
- Gary Erickson
- Jack Canfield
- Naval Ravikant
- Kevin Rose
- Charles Darwin
- Charlie Munger
- Warren Buffett
- BJ Fogg
- Jacques Pépin
- Richa Chadda
- Ricardo Semler
- Ray Dalio
- Bill Gates
- Tony Robbins
- Kahlil Gibran
- Terence McKenna
- Tara Brach
- Viktor E. Frankl
- Tim Urban
- Donald Robertson
- Dom D’Agostino
- Seth Roberts
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 600 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.