Welcome to another episode of The Tim Ferriss Show, where it is usually my job to deconstruct world-class performers to tease out the routines, habits, et cetera that you can apply to your own life.
This episode is something different. It’s an experimental format that I’m super excited about, and it’s back by popular demand.
This is an episode that scratches an itch I’ve had for years. I am not always able to listen to every great podcast episode out there, even when they are by some of my closest friends. The answer to my predicament was to ask them to send me a top segment from their podcast that I could listen to and—more importantly—also share with you, my dear listeners.
My team edited them together, and here we are! This episode is a compilation of 15-to-30–minute clips from some of the best podcasters—and also best interviewees—in the world and certainly some of my favorites.
At the beginning of each clip, you will hear an intro from the host and where to find their work and podcast. I’ll also share one or two of my favorite clips from episodes of The Tim Ferriss Show.
You can view this episode as a buffet, and I strongly suggest that you check out the shows included. If you like my podcast, you will very likely enjoy the featured shows in this episode.
The transcript of this episode can be found here. Transcripts of all episodes can be found here.
This episode is brought to you by Pique! I first learned about Pique through my friends Dr. Peter Attia and Kevin Rose, and now Pique’s fermented pu’er tea crystals have become my daily go-to. I often kickstart my mornings with their Pu’er Green Tea and Pu’er Black Tea, and I alternate between the two. This rare type of naturally fermented tea is more concentrated in polyphenol antioxidants than any other tea. It supports focus and mental clarity, healthy digestion, metabolism, and a healthy immune system. Their crystals are cold extracted, using only wild-harvested leaves from 250-year-old tea trees. Plus, they triple toxin screen for heavy metals, pesticides, and toxic mold—contaminants commonly found in tea. I also use the crystals for iced tea, which saves a ton of time and hassle.
Pique is offering up to 20% off of their pu’er teas, exclusively to my listeners. To sweeten the deal even more, you’ll get a free sampler pack with 6 of their best-selling teas. Simply visit PiqueLife.com/Tim, and the discount will be automatically applied. They also offer a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, so your purchase is completely risk-free. Just go to PiqueLife.com/Tim to learn more.
This episode is brought to you by Athletic Greens. I get asked all the time, “If you could use only one supplement, what would it be?” My answer is usually AG1 by Athletic Greens, my all-in-one nutritional insurance. I recommended it in The 4-Hour Body in 2010 and did not get paid to do so. I do my best with nutrient-dense meals, of course, but AG1 further covers my bases with vitamins, minerals, and whole-food-sourced micronutrients that support gut health and the immune system.
Right now, Athletic Greens is offering you their Vitamin D Liquid Formula free with your first subscription purchase—a vital nutrient for a strong immune system and strong bones. Visit AthleticGreens.com/Tim to claim this special offer today and receive the free Vitamin D Liquid Formula (and 5 free travel packs) with your first subscription purchase! That’s up to a one-year supply of Vitamin D as added value when you try their delicious and comprehensive all-in-one daily greens product.
This episode is brought to you by Shopify! Shopify is one of my favorite platforms and one of my favorite companies. Shopify is designed for anyone to sell anywhere, giving entrepreneurs the resources once reserved for big business. In no time flat, you can have a great-looking online store that brings your ideas to life, and you can have the tools to manage your day-to-day and drive sales. No coding or design experience required.
Go to shopify.com/Tim to sign up for a one-dollar-per-month trial period. It’s a great deal for a great service, so I encourage you to check it out. Take your business to the next level today by visiting shopify.com/Tim.
Want to hear the previous Insights episode? Listen here for nuggets of wisdom from Tara Brach, Ryan Holiday, Maria Popova, and Cal Newport about the meaning of radical acceptance, how to disentangle from self-judgment, 12 questions that will change your life, how sleep quality affects the quality of everything else you do, reading and taking notes at the gym, three properties crucial to any effective time management system, and much more.
What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES…
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
Connect with Matt Walker:
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LinkedIn
- Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams by Matthew Walker | Amazon
- The Matt Walker Podcast
- Matt Walker’s TED Talks
- Center for Human Sleep Science
- Alcohol and Sleep | Sleep Foundation
- REM Sleep: What It Is and Why It Matters | Sleep Foundation
- What is REM Rebound? | Sleep Foundation
- Sleep & Alcohol: Part 1 | The Matt Walker Podcast
- Sleep & Alcohol: Part 2 | The Matt Walker Podcast
- Caffeine and Sleep | Sleep Foundation
- Sleep Pressure | The Matt Walker Podcast
- Fragmented Sleep | Sleep Foundation
- Role of Cytochrome P450 in Drug Interactions | Nutrition & Metabolism
- Sleep & Caffeine: Part 1 | The Matt Walker Podcast
- Sleep & Caffeine: Part 2 | The Matt Walker Podcast
Connect with Adam Grant:
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | LinkedIn
Adam Grant’s Past Appearances on The Tim Ferriss Show podcast:
- Adam Grant — How to Remember Anything | The Tim Ferriss Show #471
- Adam Grant — The Man Who Does Everything | The Tim Ferriss Show #399
Connect with Atul Gawande:
- ReThinking with Adam Grant Podcast
- Complications: A Surgeon’s Notes on an Imperfect Science by Atul Gawande | Amazon
- Being Mortal by Atul Gawande | Amazon
- Atul Gawande’s Articles | The New Yorker
- Atul Gawande’s TED Talks
- Atul Gawande’s Articles | Slate
- The Coach in the Operating Room | The New Yorker
- The Rubber Band Theory | Dennis McIntee
- Deborah Tannen: High Consideration vs. High Involvement Conversation Styles | Georgetown University
Connect with the Conscious Leadership Group:
Website | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube
Diana Chapman’s Appearance on The Tim Ferriss Show podcast:
- Diana Chapman — How to Get Unstuck, Do “The Work,” Take Radical Responsibility, and Reduce Drama in Your Life | The Tim Ferriss Show #536
- The 15 Commitments of Conscious Leadership: A New Paradigm for Sustainable Success by Jim Dethmer, Diana Chapman, and Kaley Klemp | Amazon
- Karpman Drama Triangle | Wikipedia
- Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World by Timothy Ferriss | Amazon
- Jim Dethmer — How to Shift from Victim Consciousness, Reduce Drama, Practice Candor, Be Fully Alive, and More | The Tim Ferriss Show #434
- Mind Those Qs | Think Shift
- Leading and Living from your Whole Body Yes | Conscious Leadership Group
Connect with Rich Roll:
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube
Rich Roll’s Appearance on The Tim Ferriss Show podcast:
Connect with David Goggins:
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram
- The Rich Roll Podcast
- Finding Ultra, Revised and Updated Edition: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World’s Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself by Rich Roll | Amazon
- Can’t Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds by David Goggins | Amazon
- The World’s Toughest Foot Race | Badwater
- Navy SEAL Requirements | Military.com
- Sickle Cell Anemia Symptoms and Causes | Mayo Clinic
- Everything to Know About VO₂ Max | Healthline
- Hematocrit and Hemoglobin | Red Cross Blood Donation
- BUD/S | Navy SEALs
- Accountability Mirror with David Goggins | Impact Theory
- The Twelve Steps | Alcoholics Anonymous
- [07:10] Who is Matt Walker?
- [07:39] Drowsiness is the sincerest form of flattery here.
- [09:01] Alcohol and sleep.
- [16:58] Caffeine and sleep.
- [25:25] Who are Adam Grant and Atul Gawande?
- [26:24] “Just say yes until you’re 40, and after 40, just say no.”
- [30:17] Avoiding burnout during the “say yes” phase.
- [31:57] Worst advice Atul has gotten.
- [32:36] Why should everyone (including a busy surgeon) have a coach?
- [36:22] Receiving and reacting to feedback.
- [39:17] The culture of an organization is the worst behavior you tolerate.
- [42:30] Who is Diana Chapman?
- [42:58] The Drama Triangle.
- [49:25] Body intelligence.
- [51:56] A walkthrough for getting in tune with your whole-body yes (or no).
- [1:00:28] Who are Rich Roll and David Goggins?
- [1:03:56] Why haven’t you done that thing you’ve been talking about for years?
- [1:04:43] Why your flimsy excuses don’t matter to David.
- [1:08:27] The Accountability Mirror.
- [1:11:05] Participation trophies.
- [1:12:00] How do you overcome what’s really holding you back?
- Stephen Jay Gould
- Gary Hart
- Al Gore
- Roger Federer
- Rafa Nadal
- Novak Djokovic
- Renee Fleming
- Itzhak Perlman
- Robert Osteen
- Alan Foster
- Deborah Tannen
- Stephen Karpman
- Jim Dethmer
- Dustin Moskovitz
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 900 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.
Comment Rules: Remember what Fonzie was like? Cool. That’s how we’re gonna be — cool. Critical is fine, but if you’re rude, we’ll delete your stuff. Please do not put your URL in the comment text and please use your PERSONAL name or initials and not your business name, as the latter comes off like spam. Have fun and thanks for adding to the conversation! (Thanks to Brian Oberkirch for the inspiration.)
6 Replies to “Insights from Dr. Matthew Walker, Adam Grant/Atul Gawande, Diana Chapman, and Rich Roll/David Goggins (#630)”
Very Nice Blog…Thanks for sharing this information with us. Here am sharing some information about training institute.
devops training online
I’m exploring the possibility of loving kindness as a currency. Reply if you are interested in discussing this possibility.
that de mello quote, from 5-bullet, REALLY resonates with me right now. Not only am I pondering it, I’m living it. While it brings me serenity, can’t say it brings those around me the same 🙂
Hey Tim, completed the Camino de Santiago in 2019. I think it’s great that you are thinking about it. It was an incredible journey that I imagine that I will complete again at some point when I am called to it again. Hard to beat the amount of purpose felt during my 36 days of walking. Buen Camino
Can agree on various authors being hyperlinks to other works, particularly philosophy. Though Socrates (Though the words of Plato since that’s how we know him) was my into, and certainly remains relevant today.
I loved the coaching reframe of me interupting (bad) is a sign thatI am fully engaged – help me to stop interupting 🙂