Welcome to another episode of The Tim Ferriss Show, where it is usually my job to deconstruct world-class performers to tease out the routines, habits, et cetera that you can apply to your own life.
This episode is something different. It’s an experimental format that I’m super excited about, and it’s back by popular demand.
This is an episode that scratches an itch I’ve had for years. I am not always able to listen to every great podcast episode out there, even when they are by some of my closest friends. The answer to my predicament was to ask them to send me a top segment from their podcast that I could listen to and—more importantly—also share with you, my dear listeners.
My team edited them together, and here we are! This episode is a compilation of 15-to-30–minute clips from some of the best podcasters—and also best interviewees—in the world and certainly some of my favorites.
At the beginning of each clip, you will hear an intro from the host and where to find their work and podcast. I’ll also share one or two of my favorite clips from episodes of The Tim Ferriss Show.
You can view this episode as a buffet, and I strongly suggest that you check out the shows included. If you like my podcast, you will very likely enjoy the featured shows in this episode.
This episode is also brought to you by Maui Nui Venison. I’ve been eating Maui Nui Venison for the past two years, and there’s no going back. My pantry and freezers are full of it, and I restock every month. Why? (1) If I combine Maui Nui Venison with even a little exercise, I drop body fat unbelievably quickly. (2) It tastes delicious and isn’t gamey. (3) Ethically, I feel great about Maui Nui protein, as axis deer are an invasive species on Maui, where their population needs to be managed in order to protect vulnerable ecosystems.
Harvested using stress-free methods, Maui Nui’s fresh venison is clean-tasting, tender, and one of the most nutrient-dense meats on the planet. Maui Nui is a nearly daily go-to for me, both as a supplement to my daily diet (with broth, jerky snacks, etc.) and through main courses (via their fresh-meat subscription program). I fell in love with this company so much that I ended up investing, which is a rarity.
Tim Ferriss Show listeners can get 15% off on practically everything Maui Nui is offering by visiting MauiNuiVenison.com/Tim! Just use code TIM at checkout. This is the first discount they have done in more than a year, so you are getting something special, folks!
This episode is brought to you by AG1! I get asked all the time, “If you could use only one supplement, what would it be?” My answer is usually AG1, my all-in-one nutritional insurance. I recommended it in The 4-Hour Body in 2010 and did not get paid to do so. I do my best with nutrient-dense meals, of course, but AG1 further covers my bases with vitamins, minerals, and whole-food-sourced micronutrients that support gut health and the immune system.
Right now, you’ll get a 1-year supply of Vitamin D free with your first subscription purchase—a vital nutrient for a strong immune system and strong bones. Visit DrinkAG1.com/Tim to claim this special offer today and receive your 1-year supply of Vitamin D (and 5 free AG1 travel packs) with your first subscription purchase! That’s up to a one-year supply of Vitamin D as added value when you try their delicious and comprehensive daily, foundational nutrition supplement that supports whole-body health.
This episode is brought to you by Eight Sleep! Eight Sleep’s Pod Cover is the easiest and fastest way to sleep at the perfect temperature. It pairs dynamic cooling and heating with biometric tracking to offer the most advanced (and user-friendly) solution on the market. Simply add the Pod Cover to your current mattress and start sleeping as cool as 55°F or as hot as 110°F. It also splits your bed in half, so your partner can choose a totally different temperature.
Until November 30th, my listeners can save $350 on the Pod Cover. Go to eightsleep.com/tim for these exclusive holiday savings. That’s eightsleep.com/tim for these exclusive and very special holiday savings! Eight Sleep currently ships within the USA, Canada, the UK, select countries in the EU, and Australia.
What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Want to hear the previous Insights episode? Listen here for nuggets of wisdom from Dr. Andrew Huberman, Greg McKeown, Jocko Willink, Brené Brown, and Naval Ravikant about tuning your dopamine system for discipline and motivation, finding flow through the genius of routine, understanding the opportunities presented by problems, reconciling self-acceptance with the urge to achieve and improve, how to get rich without getting lucky, and much more.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES…
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
Connect with Tara Brach:
Tara Brach’s Appearance on The Tim Ferriss Show podcast:
- Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life with the Heart of a Buddha by Tara Brach | Amazon
- Trusting the Gold: Uncovering Your Natural Goodness by Tara Brach | Amazon
- The Happiest Day in Your Life | Matthieu Ricard
- The Golden Buddha Inside You | Lion’s Roar
- RAIN: Recognize, Allow, Investigate, Nurture | Tara Brach
- Why Loving-Kindness Takes Time by Sharon Salzberg | Mindful
- The Gift by Nancy L. Dahberg | Dharma Talk
- School Prayer: Diane Ackerman’s Poetic Invitation to Attentive Presence as a Means of Transcendence and Secular Spirituality | The Marginalian
Connect with Ryan Holiday:
Ryan Holiday’s Past Appearances on The Tim Ferriss Show podcast:
- Ryan Holiday — Turning the Tables | The Tim Ferriss Show #410
- How to Succeed in High-Stress Situations | The Tim Ferriss Show #319
- What’s Important to You? | The Tim Ferriss Show #179
- Useful Lessons from Workaholics Anonymous, Corporate Implosions, and More | The Tim Ferriss Show #169
- The Canvas Strategy — What Ben Franklin and Bill Belichick Have in Common | The Tim Ferriss Show #165
- Ryan Holiday | The Tim Ferriss Show #4
- Stillness Is the Key by Ryan Holiday | Amazon
- The Obstacle Is the Way by Ryan Holiday | Amazon
- Ego Is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday | Amazon
- The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday | Amazon
- 12 Questions That Will Change Your Life by Ryan Holiday | Medium
- Tell Me Who You Spend Time With, and I Will Tell You Who You Are | Thought Catalog
- 29 Lessons from the Greatest Strategic Minds Who Ever Lived, Fought, or Led | Thought Catalog
- A Man May Do an Immense Deal of Good If He Does Not Care Who Gets the Credit | Quote Investigator
- The Gift of Fear and Other Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence by Gavin de Becker | Amazon
- 21 Life Lessons Learned from Some of the World’s Greatest Sports Coaches | Thought Catalog
- Trust Yourself | Daily Stoic
- 21 Marketing Lessons Every Creative Needs to Master | Thought Catalog
- Stephen Colbert Featured in Ken Bain’s “What the Best College Students Do” | Colbert News Hub
- 23 Lessons I Learned from Robert Greene on Strategy, Mastery, and Power | Thought Catalog
- So You Want to Write a Book? “Want” Is Not Nearly Enough | Thought Catalog
- Alive Time Vs. Dead Time: Which Are You In? | Thought Catalog
- 7 Pieces of Life-Changing Writing Advice from Dear Sugar | Thought Catalog
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl | Amazon
Connect with Maria Popova:
Maria Popova’s Past Appearances on The Tim Ferriss Show podcast:
- Books I’ve Loved — Maria Popova and Tyler Cowen | The Tim Ferriss Show #436
- Maria Popova on Being Interesting, Creating More Time in a Day, And How to Start A Successful Blog | The Tim Ferriss Show #92
- Maria Popova on Writing, Workflow, and Workarounds | The Tim Ferriss Show #39
- Dr. Andrew Huberman — A Neurobiologist on Optimizing Sleep, Enhancing Performance, Reducing Anxiety, Increasing Testosterone, and Using the Body to Control the Mind | The Tim Ferriss Show #521
- Vipassana Meditation | Dhamma.org
- Smile Guided Meditation (25:29) | Tara Brach
- Free Kindle Reading Apps for iOS, Android, Mac, and PC | Amazon
- Literary Jukebox | Tumblr
- On the Shortness of Life by Seneca | Amazon
- Good Will Hunting | Prime Video
Connect with Cal Newport:
Cal Newport’s Past Appearances on The Tim Ferriss Show podcast:
- Cal Newport and Tim Ferriss Revisit “The 4-Hour Workweek” (Plus: The Allure and The Void of Remote Work, Unsustainable Behaviors, Burning Out, The Cult of Productivity, and More) | The Tim Ferriss Show #594
- Cal Newport — The Eternal Pursuit of Craftsmanship, the Deep Life, Slow Productivity, and a 30-Day Digital Minimalism Challenge | The Tim Ferriss Show #568
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World by Cal Newport | Amazon
- Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World by Cal Newport | Amazon
- A World Without Email: Find Focus and Transform the Way You Work Forever by Cal Newport | Amazon
- The Deep Questions Podcast
- Cal Newport’s Planning System (In Detail) | YouTube
- [08:39] Who is Tara Brach?
- [10:29] How meditation allows us to be present in the moment.
- [12:56] Disentangling from self-judgment.
- [19:07] The meaning of radical acceptance.
- [20:24] RAIN: recognize, allow, investigate, and nurture.
- [28:01] A brief RAIN meditation.
- [34:17] A gift to a stranger.
- [38:55] A short prayer.
- [40:00] Who is Ryan Holiday?
- [40:54] Who am I spending time with?
- [41:36] Is this in my control?
- [42:25] What does my ideal day look like?
- [43:27] To be or to do?
- [45:11] What am I missing by choosing to worry or be afraid?
- [45:54] Am I doing my job?
- [46:37] What is the most important thing?
- [47:39] Who is this for?
- [48:20] Does this actually matter?
- [49:17] Will this be alive time or dead time?
- [50:15] Is this who I want to be?
- [50:58] A bonus question from Viktor Frankl.
- [53:01] Who is Maria Popova?
- [54:21] What does Maria’s current day look like?
- [56:04] Good sleep makes everything else possible.
- [59:13] Meditation.
- [1:01:22] Workouts.
- [1:01:46] How Maria reads at the gym.
- [1:02:32] Methods of note-taking.
- [1:08:53] Seneca as a gateway drug into philosophy.
- [1:12:41] Who is Cal Newport?
- [1:14:16] Three properties any time management system should have.
- [1:17:03] Capture.
- [1:19:23] Configure.
- [1:20:49] Control.
- [1:23:36] How Cal implements this system.
- [1:29:47] How this system will benefit you.
- [1:31:17] A bonus property: Constrain.
- Jack Kornfield
- The Dalai Lama
- Gautama Buddha
- Carl Rogers
- Diane Ackerman
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- Annie Dillard
- John Boyd
- Harry S. Truman
- Hillel the Elder
- George C. Marshall
- Gavin de Becker
- Sean Payton
- Bill Belichick
- Marcus Aurelius
- Stephen Colbert
- Robert Greene
- Cheryl Strayed
- Viktor Frankl
- Sitting Bull
- David Allen
- Dean Acheson
- Jesse Miller
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 900 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.