This episode is a rare exception to the rule — unlike my usual long-form interviews, this is a drunk-dialing Q&A with you guys, which I’ve done a few times in the last few years, including for the celebration of the 100th episode of this podcast. In preparation for this episode, I solicited phone numbers from listeners who wanted to receive a call from me, and then I started drinking and dialing, answering questions and getting a little frisky along the way.
In this episode, I cover topics such as:
- How Jocko Willink has made me more disciplined
- My thoughts on sex as a “doorway to a higher perception”
- My past experiences with stimulants and psychedelics
- How I determine if a project is working or not. In other words, how do I decide when I should persevere or quit a project and move on?
- How I think about teaching
- And much, much more!
Please enjoy this tequila-fueled Q&A!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another episode when I’m drunk? — Listen to my 100th podcast. In this episode, we discuss tantric sex, how I view and organize my various income streams, marketing yourself in job interviews, and much, much more (stream below or right-click here to download):
This episode is brought to you by Peloton, which has become a staple of my daily routine. I picked up this bike after seeing the success of my friend Kevin Rose, and I’ve been enjoying it more than I ever imagined. Peloton is an indoor cycling bike that brings live studio classes right to your home. No worrying about fitting classes into your busy schedule or making it to a studio with a crazy commute.
New classes are added every day, and this includes options led by elite NYC instructors in your own living room. You can even live stream studio classes taught by the world’s best instructors, or find your favorite class on demand.
Peloton is offering listeners to this show a special offer. Visit onepeloton.com and enter the code TIM at checkout to receive $100 off accessories with your Peloton bike purchase. This is a great way to get in your workouts or an incredible gift. Again, that’s onepeloton.com and enter the code TIM.
This episode is also brought to you by Sotheby’s Wine, which offers a selection of the world’s best wines for every palate and occasion. Sotheby’s is a global auctioneer and retailer of fine wine with locations in New York, London, and Hong Kong.
They recently created an online store where you can buy wine directly. Their retail wines range from $14 per bottle to $25,000.
Sotheby’s allows you to sort by region, grape, producer — or you can search for a particular bottle or by your budget. If you’re gifting wine, Sotheby’s suggests champagne, red Bordeaux, Burgundy, or Californian wines. Just one restriction — at this time, Sotheby’s can only ship to New York, California, D.C., New Hampshire, and Idaho.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Jocko Willink’s first, second, and third appearances on this podcast.
- Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual by Jocko Willink
- Time Is Running Out (Jocko Motivation)
- Casa Dragones
- Best-selling Author Tim Ferriss Visits Cross Campus Santa Monica
- Brendan McCaughey
- The Complete Kama Sutra by Vatsyayana
- Jack Kornfield — Finding Freedom, Love, and Joy in the Present
- The 30-Day Challenge: No Booze, No Masturbating (NOBNOM)
- The Multi-Orgasmic Man: Sexual Secrets Every Man Should Know by Mantak Chia and Douglas Abrams
- Real Mind Control: The 21-Day No-Complaint Experiment
- Are Psychedelic Drugs the Next Medical Breakthrough?
- Why a Breathing Technique That Makes You Trip — without Drugs — should Be Your New Year’s Resolution by Eviana Hartman, Vogue
- Usona Institute
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS)
- Register your interest in supporting psychedelic scientific research and development here.
- Home of the Waking Up Podcast with Sam Harris
- The 4-Hour Chef: The Simple Path to Cooking Like a Pro, Learning Anything, and Living the Good Life by Timothy Ferriss
- Rust and Iron Episode 1 with Kelly Starrett
- Robin’s Cafe
- Responsive Conference
- The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferriss
- The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat Loss, Incredible Sex and Becoming Superhuman by Timothy Ferriss
- Team of Teams: New Rules of Engagement for a Complex World by General Stanley McChrystal, Tantum Collins, and Chris Fussell
- Shopify Build a Business
- The Robin Zander Show
- Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman! (Adventures of a Curious Character) by Richard P. Feynman and Ralph Leighton
- The Tim Ferriss Show, Episode 22: Ed Catmull, President of Pixar, on Steve Jobs, Stories, and Lessons Learned
- Does having Jocko Willink in my life make me more disciplined? [5:36]
- What am I drinking today? [11:51]
- What states of higher perception can we cultivate through training? [16:50]
- How might this type of training translate into other areas of life? [22:45]
- Alternatives to psychedelics for people living in places where their use is criminalized (and what we might do to change this). [26:45]
- What (aside from luck) has contributed to my ability to reach and teach my current audience? [32:36]
- How do I determine when a project that might be exciting to me isn’t exciting to my audience? [44:57]
- Why it sometimes pays to power through a dreadfully uncomfortable project with or without feedback from others. [51:06]
- Brendan McCaughey
- Jocko Willink
- Jack Kornfield
- Mantak Chia
- Sam Harris
- Robin Zander
- Jenny Sauer-Klein
- Chris Fussell
- Charlie Munger
- Warren Buffett
- Richard Feynman
- Ed Catmull
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 900 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.