DISCLAIMER: DO NOT USE ANY DRUGS OR SUBSTANCES WITHOUT CONSULTING A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL. THIS IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY.
“Be curious.” – Dr. Dan Engle
Martin Polanco (@Martin_Polanco7), M.D., is the founder and program director of Crossroads Treatment Center, based in Rosarito, Mexico. Crossroads specializes in helping patients conquer powerful addictions (heroin, cocaine, etc.) by using the African hallucinogen ibogaine and 5-MeO-DMT, also referred to as “the God molecule.” Martin’s areas of expertise also include addiction medicine and therapeutic neurotechnologies.
Dan Engle (@drdanengle), M.D., is a psychiatrist and neurologist, who combines functional medicine with integrative psychiatry to enhance regenerative health and peak performance. His prior and relevant experience includes traumatic brain injury (TBI) and working in the Peruvian jungle with plant medicines such as ayahuasca.
In this episode, we step outside the lines of traditional medicine and discuss impulse control, introspection, and self-awareness through the use of powerful psychedelic and hallucinogenic agents like iboga, ibogaine, and 5-MeO-DMT.
We also discuss flotation tanks, which can simulate or even replicate many of the benefits that can result from the use of psychedelic and psychotropic agents. So you don’t have to be willing to experiment with these drugs to receive something valuable from this episode.
If you are interested in optimizing your psychological performance, emotional control, and exploring alternative medicine, then this episode is for you. Enjoy!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
Want to hear more from a world-class scientist? Check out my conversations with James Fadiman, Ph.D. In the below episode, we discuss LSD and micro-dosing for creative problem solving, anxiety reduction, and more (stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by TrunkClub. I hate shopping with a passion. And honestly I’m not good at it, which means I end up looking like I’m colorblind or homeless. Enter TrunkClub, which provides you with your own personal stylist and makes it easier than ever to shop for clothes that look great on your body.
Just go to trunkclub.com/tim and answer a few questions, and then you’ll be sent a trunk full of awesome clothes. They base this on your sizes, preferences, etc. The trunk is then delivered free of charge both ways, so you only pay for clothes that you keep. If you keep none, it costs you nothing. To get started, check it out at trunkclub.com/tim.
This podcast is also brought to you by Vimeo Pro, which is the ideal video hosting platform for entrepreneurs. In fact, a bunch of my start-ups are already using Vimeo Pro. WealthFront uses it to explain how WealthFront works. TaskRabbit uses it to tell the company’s story. There are many other names who you would recognize among their customers (AirBnB, Etsy, etc.) Why do they use it? Vimeo Pro provides enterprise level video hosting for a fraction of the usual cost. Features include:
- Gorgeous high-quality playback with no ads
- Up to 20 GB of video storage every week
- Unlimited plays and views
- A fully customizable video player, which can include your company logo, custom outro, and more
You get all this for just $199 per year (that’s only $17 per/mo.). There are no complicated bandwidth calculations or hidden fees. Try it risk-free for 30 days. Just go to Vimeo.com/business to check it out. If you like it, you can use the promo code “Tim” to get 25% off. This is a special discount just for you guys.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What other methods of alternative medicine and therapy are you interested in learning more about? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- More background and history about the psychedelic iboga.
- More background and history about the psychedelic ibogaine.
- More background and history about the psychedelic ayahuasca.
- Commonly prescribed benzodiazepines:
- More about traditional ayahuasca.
- Quality resources for people who want to learn more about psychedelic drugs and their uses:
- The background of 5-MeO-DMT.
- More about the brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF)
- Mating in Captivity: Unlocking Erotic Intelligence by Esther Perel
- The Cosmic Serpent by Jeremy Narby
- Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda
- The Journey Home by Radhanath Swami
- Ibogaine Explained by Peter Frank
- Who by Geoff Smart
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
- If This Is a Man and The Truce by Primo Levi
- The Psychedelic Explorer’s Guide by James Fadiman
- Transcendental Meditation
- True Rest Floatation Labs
- Connect with Dr. Martin Polanco:
- Connect with Dr. Dan Engle:
- Dr. Dan Engle & Dr. Martin Polanco share their background experiences that led them to be working in the field of psychedelics [08:56]
- Martin’s first experiences with psychedelics and Ibogaine [11:01]
- The primary differences between Ayahuasca and Ibogaine [14:20]
- Dan explains what happens when you experiment with Ayahuasca, and the most common characteristics during the experience [19:45]
- What most people feel during the start of an Iboga experience, and the common characteristics reported after use [23:15]
- The reasons some people don’t have visions while taking Ibogaine [26:34]
- The commonly prescribed benzodiazepines that don’t allow people to have visions taking Ibogaine [27:44]
- What happens to your central nervous system during an ibogaine experience [29:58]
- How should people view the use of psychedelics? [36:24]
- The scarier aspects of the iboga experiences, and how to prepare for them? [43:06]
- Martin explains how iboga works on a chemical level and what types of addictions it can help [46:15]
- The resources people can use to educate themselves about psychedelic drugs and current research [48:34]
- The background of 5-MeO-DMT and how it is incorporated into his program [54:48]
- Different uses for ayahuasca and 5-MeO-DMT [1:00:26]
- The relative importance of plant medicine and non-traditional treatments [1:08:36]
- How often should psychedelic treatments be used for the maximum effect [1:11:11]
- How people can use psychedelics to help with traumatic brain injuries [1:16:30]
- The first person who comes to mind when Dan and Martin think of the word successful [1:26:39]
- The books Dan and Martin have given the most as gifts [1:28:45]
- The quote or statement Dan would have on a billboard [1:31:01]
- The advice Dan and Martin would give their 30-year-old selves [1:31:49]
- Who should and shouldn’t try ibogaine [1:34:15]
- Flotation theory and other entry points for psychedelic experiences [1:35:28]
- The single ask or recommendation Dan and Martin have for The 4-Hour Workweek audience [1:44:50]
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with over 400 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.