“Your will doesn’t break. It never shows up in the first place.” — Jocko Willink
In this episode, Jocko shares lessons from his new book Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual. Trust me, it’s fantastic. In this talk, he discusses:
- The success mindset
- How to stop laziness and procrastination
- Behaviors that lead to failure
- His exact workouts
- How he adapts his training when he’s on the road
- And much, much more
Jocko is a legend in the Special Operations world. His eyes look through you more than at you.
Jocko enlisted in the Navy after high school and spent 20 years in the SEAL Teams, first as an enlisted SEAL operator and then as a SEAL officer. During his second tour in Iraq, he led SEAL Task Unit Bruiser in the Battle of Ramadi–some of the toughest and sustained combat in the SEAL Teams since Vietnam.
Under his leadership, Task Unit Bruiser became the most highly decorated Special Operations Unit of the entire war in Iraq and helped bring stability to Ramadi. Jocko was awarded the Bronze Star and a Silver Star.
Jocko is also the co-author of Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win — which I loved. I hope you enjoy this episode!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another podcast episode with Jocko? — Listen to our first interview together. Jocko might be the scariest Navy SEAL alive, and this episode shares how he earned that reputation. Learn what he taught me (stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Helix Sleep. I recently moved into a new home and needed new beds, and I purchased mattresses from Helix Sleep.
They offer mattresses personalized to your preferences and sleeping style — without costing thousands of dollars. Visit Helixsleep.com/TIM and take their simple 2-3 minute sleep quiz to get started, and they’ll build a mattress you’ll love.
Their customer service makes all the difference. The mattress arrives within a week, and the shipping is completely free. You can try the mattress for 100 nights, and if you’re not happy, they’ll pick it up and offer a full refund. To personalize your sleep experience, visit Helixsleep.com/TIM and you’ll receive $50 off your custom mattress. Enjoy!
This episode is also brought to you by LegalZoom. I’ve used this service for many of my businesses, as have quite a few of the icons on this podcast — such as Automattic CEO Matt Mullenweg of WordPress fame.
LegalZoom is a reliable resource that more than a million people have already trusted for everything from setting up wills, proper trademark searches, forming LLCs, setting up non-profits, or finding simple cease-and-desist letter templates.
LegalZoom is not a law firm, but it does have a network of independent attorneys available in most states who can give you advice on the best way to get started, provide contract reviews, and otherwise help you run your business with complete transparency and up-front pricing. Check out LegalZoom.com and enter promo code TIM at checkout today to save 15%, and see how the fine folks there can make life easier for you and your business.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Jocko and his organizations on Twitter:
- Connect with Jocko and his organizations on Facebook:
- Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual by Jocko Willink
- TFS #107: The Scariest Navy SEAL Imaginable…And What He Taught Me
- TFS #187: Jocko Willink on Discipline, Leadership, and Overcoming Doubt
- Extreme Ownership: How US Navy SEALs Lead and Win by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
- Learn more about Victory MMA and Fitness, Jocko Willink’s gym in San Diego
- Seeking solutions in business or leadership? Check out Echelon Front
- The Second Battle of Ramadi
- The Joe Rogan Experience #729: Jocko Willink
- Jocko Podcast
- Way of the Warrior Kid: From Wimpy to Warrior the Navy SEAL Way: A Novel by Jocko Willink and Jon Bozak
- 8 Metabolic Conditioning Workouts for MMA Fighters by Funk Roberts, Onnit Academy
- Preaching the Pull-Up: Dead-Hang vs. Kipping by Bob Doucette, proactiveoutside
- The Hang Clean, CrossFit
- The Ring Dip, CrossFit
- The Ring Push-Up, CrossFit
- The Perfect Push Up, Calisthenicmovement
- The Snatch, CrossFit
- Planks for Beginners: How to do a Plank, Bowflex
- The Burpee, CrossFit
- Coaching the Clean and Jerk with Natalie Burgener, CrossFit
- The Overhead Squat, CrossFit
- The Front Squat, CrossFit
- The Back Squat, CrossFit
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
- Jocko introduces himself. [3:14]
- How Jocko got started podcasting. [07:52]
- You might be surprised to learn that Jocko is now a children’s book author — but his new book for grown-ups has just been published. [09:30]
- Discipline Equals Freedom: Field Manual is divided into two sections: Thoughts and Actions. [11:50]
- One example from the Thoughts section: How to stop laziness and procrastination. [12:13]
- How to build discipline one morning at a time. [16:16]
- What happens when we stray from the path of discipline. [17:31]
- How to start getting up early in the morning. [18:52]
- What do Jocko’s workouts look like? [20:42]
- Pull. Push. Lift. Squat. Gut. [25:12]
- How long do Jocko’s workouts last? [28:39]
- Why Jocko changed his mind about doing curls. [34:39]
- What an advanced push day workout looks like. [37:04]
- What an advanced lift day workout looks like. [39:54]
- What an advanced squat day workout looks like. [41:51]
- Training on the road. [44:43]
- What’s Jocko’s criteria for finding a good, local jiu-jitsu school/instructor? [55:51]
- Traditional vs. non-traditional jiu-jutsu schools. [58:04]
- The benefits of other martial arts and combat skills discussed in the book. [1:02:00]
- Parting thoughts on discipline. [1:04:04]
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 900 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.