“The world always makes sense; we just don’t understand it.”
This episode sets a new record with five guests — each considered among the best in their field. It features Adam Robinson (@IAmAdamRobinson), Debbie Millman (@debbiemillman), Neil Strauss (@neilstrauss), Scott Belsky (@scottbelsky), and Veronica Belmont (@Veronica).
This roundtable conversation discusses best investments, favorite failures, and bad advice to avoid. I really enjoyed all of the answers from the guests as there’s lots of actionable advice. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear a conversation with a mentor from Tribe of Mentors? Listen to this episode with Tim Urban, in which we discuss the future, how to deal with procrastination, AI, and much much more. Listen to it here (stream below or right-click to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Four Sigmatic. While I often praise this company’s lion’s mane Mushroom Coffee for a minimal caffeine dose wakeup call that lasts, I asked the founders if they could help me — someone who’s struggled with insomnia for decades — improve my sleep. Their answer: Reishi Mushroom Elixir. They made a special batch for me and my listeners that comes without sweetener; you can try it with a little honey or nut milk, or you can just add hot water to your single-serving packet and embrace its bitterness like I do.
Try it right now by going to foursigmatic.com/ferriss and using the code Ferriss to receive 20 percent off this rare, limited run of Reishi Mushroom Elixir. If you are in the experimental mindset, I do not think you’ll be disappointed.
This podcast is also brought to you by Athletic Greens. I get asked all the time, “If you could only use one supplement, what would it be?” My answer is, inevitably, Athletic Greens. It is my all-in-one nutritional insurance. I recommended it in The 4-Hour Body and did not get paid to do so. As a listener of The Tim Ferriss Show, you’ll get 30 percent off your first order at AthleticGreens.com/Tim.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Adam Robinson:
- Connect with Debbie Millman:
- Connect with Neil Strauss:
- Connect with Scott Belsky:
- Connect with Veronica Belmont:
- Books by Adam Robinson
- Judgment Under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases by Daniel Kahneman, Paul Slovic, and Amos Tversky
- Adam’s method of meditation is heart rate variability training (HRV).
- A book on HRV: The HeartMath Solution: The Institute of HeartMath’s Revolutionary Program for Engaging the Power of the Heart’s Intelligence by Doc Lew Childre and Howard Martin
- Adam’s recommendation for tracking HRV.
- Books by Debbie Millman
- AIGA: Sold Out — the Speak Up open letter that Debbie credits as “the most important defining experience of [her] life.”
- Books by Neil Strauss
- Who Knows What’s Good or Bad? by David Allan, Medium
- No B.S. Time Management for Entrepreneurs: The Ultimate No Holds Barred Kick Butt Take No Prisoners Guide to Time Productivity and Sanity by Dan S. Kennedy
- Mastery by Robert Greene
- Books by Scott Belsky
- Books by Veronica Belmont
- Veronica hosting the Game of Thrones season six premiere.
- Introducing Adam Robinson. [05:55]
- Bad recommendations Adam hears often. [07:17]
- One of Adam’s most worthwhile investments. [13:09]
- Introducing Debbie Millman. [17:12]
- What is Debbie’s favorite failure? [18:44]
- One of Debbie’s most worthwhile investments. [20:30]
- Bad recommendations Debbie hears often. [26:48]
- Introducing Neil Strauss. [27:47]
- Neil’s favorite failure. [28:40]
- One of Neil’s most worthwhile investments. [31:54]
- Introducing Scott Belsky. [35:41]
- Bad recommendations Scott hears often. [36:46]
- What advice would Scott give to a smart, driven college student about to enter the so-called “real” world? [39:32]
- Introducing Veronica Belmont. [41:16]
- Veronica’s favorite failure. [42:28]
- Bad recommendations Veronica hears often. [44:07]
- What advice would Veronica give to a smart, driven college student about to enter the so-called “real” world? [44:38]
- Adam Robinson
- Debbie Millman
- Neil Strauss
- Scott Belsky
- Veronica Belmont
- Bobby Fischer
- Paul Slovic
- Daniel Kahneman
- Josh Waitzkin
- Seth Godin
- Kevin Hart
- Dan Kennedy
- Robert Greene
- Joe Gebbia
Posted on: January 26, 2018.
Please check out Tribe of Mentors, my newest book, which shares short, tactical life advice from 100+ world-class performers. Many of the world's most famous entrepreneurs, athletes, investors, poker players, and artists are part of the book. The tips and strategies in Tribe of Mentors have already changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for a sample chapter and full details. Roughly 90% of the guests have never appeared on my podcast.
Who was interviewed? Here's a very partial list: tech icons (founders of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Craigslist, Pinterest, Spotify, Salesforce, Dropbox, and more), Jimmy Fallon, Arianna Huffington, Brandon Stanton (Humans of New York), Lord Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ben Stiller, Maurice Ashley (first African-American Grandmaster of chess), Brené Brown (researcher and bestselling author), Rick Rubin (legendary music producer), Temple Grandin (animal behavior expert and autism activist), Franklin Leonard (The Black List), Dara Torres (12-time Olympic medalist in swimming), David Lynch (director), Kelly Slater (surfing legend), Bozoma Saint John (Beats/Apple/Uber), Lewis Cantley (famed cancer researcher), Maria Sharapova, Chris Anderson (curator of TED), Terry Crews, Greg Norman (golf icon), Vitalik Buterin (creator of Ethereum), and nearly 100 more. Check it all out by clicking here.