“You want to change your life fast? Then trade your expectation for appreciation; you’ll have a whole new life.”
Welcome to the second installment of The Tim Ferriss Radio Hour.
After more than 200 conversations with the world’s top performers, you start to spot certain patterns. These are the shared habits, hacks, philosophies, and tools that are the common threads of success, happiness, health, and wealth.
These commonalities were the premise of my most recent book, The New York Times #1 bestseller Tools of Titans — a compilation of my favorite lessons, routines, and tips of many of my guests.
In this particular episode, I’ve gathered some of the best advice from past guests about fitness, nutrition, and wellness. This includes conversations with:
- General Stanley McChrystal about thriving on one meal per day.
- Tony Robbins about morning discipline and routines.
- Wim Hof about consciously controlling his autonomic immune system.
- Dominic D’Agostino about nutritional strategies for peak performers.
Without further ado, let’s get started. I hope you enjoy this episode of The Tim Ferriss Radio Hour!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another episode of The Tim Ferriss Radio Hour? In this episode, we explore meditation and mindfulness with Chase Jarvis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sam Harris, and Rainn Wilson (stream below or right-click here to download):
All you need to do to get your free 30-day Audible trial is go to Audible.com/Tim. Choose one of the above books, or choose any of the endless options they offer. That could be a book, a newspaper, a magazine, or even a class. It’s that easy. Go to Audible.com/Tim and get started today. Enjoy.
This podcast is also brought to you by Headspace, the world’s most popular meditation app (with more than four million users). It’s used in more than 150 countries, and many of my closest friends swear by it. Try Headspace’s free Take10 program — 10 minutes of guided meditation a day for 10 days. It’s like a warm bath for your mind. Meditation doesn’t need to be complicated or expensive, and it’s had a huge impact on my life. Try Headspace for free for a few days and see what I mean.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with General Stanley McChrystal:
- Connect with Tony Robbins:
- Connect with Wim Hof:
- Connect with Dr. Dominic D’Agostino:
- Episodes with General Stanley McChrystal: General Stan McChrystal on Eating One Meal Per Day, Special Ops, and Mental Toughness and General Stan McChrystal on Anti-War Americans, Pushing Your Limits, and The Three Military Tests You Should Take
- Episodes with Tony Robbins: Tony Robbins: How to Suffer Less (and Invest Intelligently), Tony Robbins on How to Resolve Internal Conflict, Tony Robbins On Achievement Versus Fulfillment, Tony Robbins on Morning Routines, Peak Performance, and Mastering Money, and Tony Robbins and Peter Diamandis (XPRIZE) on the Magic of Thinking BIG
- Compared with the size of my head, evidence suggests that Tony Robbins has substantial mitts.
- Tony recommends cryotherapy products by JUKA, and Cryo Healthcare for people in Los Angeles.
- Tony’s breathing routine, courtesy of Fast Company (at about 70:30)
- Wim Hof’s appearance on the show: “The Iceman,” Wim Hof
- Wim Hof: Farthest Swim under Ice, Guinness World Records
- Wim Hof Breaks The World Record in an Ice Bath in New York City
- Iceman Wim Hof on Kilimanjaro Summit
- The Vice documentary about Wim Hof
- Wim Hof the Iceman in Radboud Hospital Research Facility
- The Wim Hof Method free three-part video mini class
- Episodes with Dominic D’Agostino: Dom D’Agostino on Fasting, Ketosis, and the End of Cancer, Dom D’Agostino — The Power of the Ketogenic Diet, and Dom D’Agostino on Disease Prevention, Cancer, and Living Longer
- How the Ketogenic Diet Weakens Cancer Cells by Dr. David Jockers, The Truth About Cancer
- Exogenous ketones
- Abbott Precision Xtra Glucose Monitor
- Dom’s go-to resource for questions about the ketogenic diet
- Quest Nutrition MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) Powder Oil
- Learn more about the modified Atkins Diet and Eric Kossoff at Johns Hopkins.
- General Stanley McChrystal’s background, his one-meal-a-day regimen, and how I use intermittent fasting in my own life. [06:06]
- Why does General McChrystal only eat one meal a day? [09:28]
- General McChrystal’s former Aide-de-Camp Chris Fussell explains why his old boss’s diet isn’t for everyone. [11:24]
- What exercises does General McChrystal include in his daily workout, and why? [13:39]
- On the importance of working out daily as a leader in the military. [16:56]
- An introduction to Tony Robbins and the idea of state priming. [18:54]
- Tony’s morning routine and diet. [21:04]
- Tony explains how cryotherapy helps mitigate the wear and tear of his active lifestyle. [23:14]
- Tony’s daily priming ritual. [27:35]
- On Wim Hof and his many qualifications for being called “the Iceman.” How his breathing methods have given me seemingly superhuman abilities (and the caution you should exercise if you choose to try them yourself). [33:59]
- Wim’s first world record and his most challenging cold exposures. [36:13]
- How does Wim deal with unexpected situations? [38:20]
- How Wim controlled stress hormones and his autonomic immune response — and was able to teach others to do the same in well under a week. [40:22]
- How Wim gets his trainees into a gladiator mindset. [44:15]
- An introduction to Dr. Dominic D’Agostino and the ketogenic diet. [53:30]
- What is ketosis? [57:16]
- The implications of fasting, nutritional ketosis, and/or exogenous ketones for preventing/mitigating the onset of neurodegenerative diseases. [58:33]
- Thoughts on getting big and strong while in a state of ketosis. [1:06:10]
- General Stanley McChrystal
- Tony Robbins
- Wim Hof
- Dominic D’Agostino
- Robert Gates
- Abu Musab al-Zarqawi
- Art De Vany
- Ori Hofmekler
- Walter Voegtlin
- Loren Cordain
- Chris Fussell
- Rick Rubin
- Sage Robbins
- Oprah Winfrey
- Russell Simmons
- Ray Dalio
- Laird Hamilton
- Tim Noakes
- David Blaine
- Stephen D. Phinney
- Eric Kossoff
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with over 400 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.