I’m excited to bring you a little taste test of a new show format that I’ve been working on — The Tim Ferriss Radio Hour.
After 200 conversations with a variety of fascinating people, including Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jamie Foxx, Tony Robbins, Maria Popova, Peter Thiel, Marc Andreessen, Amanda Palmer, Malcolm Gladwell, Rick Rubin, Reid Hoffman, Chase Jarvis, Sam Harris, Rainn Wilson, and so many others, I started to spot patterns. This is the premise of my new book Tools of Titans, which is a compilation of all of my favorite habits, philosophies, and tools of world-class performers.
This is where Tim Ferriss Radio Hour comes in. In each episode, we’ll take a deep dive into one specific topic or tactic, bringing together the collective genius of past guests — with some new insights from yours truly — to help you become world class in your own right (if you aren’t already).
In this episode, we’ll be exploring meditation and mindfulness. You’ll hear from Chase Jarvis as he explains his top priorities for feeling fulfilled. I talk transcendental meditation with Arnold Schwarzenegger. I cover a wide spectrum with Sam Harris, and ask him about everything from hallucinogens to meditation techniques. And then I wrap up with Rainn Wilson, discussing how to handle life when you feel overwhelmed.
Without further ado, let’s jump into the first episode of The Tim Ferriss Radio Hour!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
In this podcast, we talk with Arnold Schwarzenegger. In his first episode on the podcast, we discussed psychological warfare, never-told-before stories, how he became a millionaire outside of Hollywood, and much more (stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by 99Designs, the world’s largest marketplace of graphic designers. I have used them for years to create some amazing designs. When your business needs a logo, website design, business card, or anything you can imagine, check out 99Designs.
I used them to rapid prototype the cover for The 4-Hour Body, and I’ve also had them help with display advertising and illustrations. If you want a more personalized approach, I recommend their 1-on-1 service. You get original designs from designers around the world. The best part? You provide your feedback, and then you end up with a product that you’re happy with or your money back. Click this link and get a free $99 upgrade. Give it a test run.
This podcast is also brought to you by Four Sigmatic. I reached out to these Finnish entrepreneurs after a very talented acrobat introduced me to one of their products, which blew my mind (in the best way possible). It is mushroom coffee featuring chaga. It tastes like coffee, but there are only 40 milligrams of caffeine, so it has less than half of what you would find in a regular cup of coffee. I do not get any jitters, acid reflux, or any type of stomach burn. It put me on fire for an entire day, and I only had half of the packet.
People are always asking me what I use for cognitive enhancement right now, this is the answer. You can try it right now by going to foursigmatic.com/tim and using the code Tim to get 20 percent off your first order. If you are in the experimental mindset, I do not think you’ll be disappointed.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers by Timothy Ferriss
- The Tim Ferriss Show: Chase Jarvis, Master Photographer
- What is transcendental meditation (TM)?
- The Rise of Superman by Stephen Kotler
- Burning Man
- What is Wim Hof breathing?
- 5 Morning Rituals That Help Me Win The Day
- Check out the blog post and video documenting how I make my Titanium Tea.
- Headspace meditation app
- Tim Ferriss Interviews Arnold Schwarzenegger on Psychological Warfare (And Much More)
- Sam Harris on Daily Routines, The Trolley Scenario, and 5 Books Everyone Should Read
- The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason by Sam Harris
- Free Will by Sam Harris
- Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion by Sam Harris
- Are Psychedelic Drugs the Next Medical Breakthrough?
- How to Meditate, Sam Harris’s blog
- Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Gunaratana
- The Experience of Insight: A Simple and Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation by Joseph Goldstein
- Wherever You Go, There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- 9 minutes of guided mindfulness meditation from Sam Harris
- Drugs and the Meaning of Life, Sam Harris’s blog
- Food of the Gods: The Search for the Original Tree of Knowledge by Terence McKenna
- Rainn Wilson on Meditation, The Sexy Nostril Exercise, and Acting as Therapy
- Roland Griffiths — The science of psilocybin and its use to relieve suffering, TEDMED
- Life Lessons From The World’s Happiest Man by Mat Smith, Esquire
- Tara Brach on Meditation and Overcoming FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out)
- Watch Amy, the documentary about Amy Winehouse
- The Hilarious “Sexy Nostril” Game for Writers by Christopher Kokoski
- Chase Jarvis lays out his top priorities for feeling happy and fulfilled. [07:02]
- How TM (transcendental meditation) puts Chase in flow state (aka “the zone”). [08:40]
- You don’t have to be a Burning Man aficionado to benefit from TM. [010:45]
- Some of my current meditation routines, and how I incorporate mindfulness into my day. [14:57]
- Why Arnold Schwarzenegger started practicing TM in the ’70s. [17:30]
- Arnold applies the lessons of meditation to focus on everything from studying scripts to working out. [21:33]
- Sam Harris talks about various ways of achieving valuable altered states (e.g., transcendence) without invoking religion. [23:34]
- What type of meditation does Sam recommend to the novice? [29:17]
- Sam’s resources for those new to meditation. [33:46]
- Psychedelics Sam has found therapeutically valuable in his own life. [36:19]
- Why Terence McKenna argued that psychedelics are superior to meditation and yoga. [41:11]
- Are there benefits to a bad trip? [43:05]
- What does Rainn Wilson do when he’s feeling overwhelmed? [45:25]
- What scientists learned from scanning the brain of the world’s happiest man. [49:38]
- Acting can be a wonderful escape from your own head. How can non-actors benefit from playing theater games? [52:11]
- What is the sexy nostril game? [55:20]
- How Rainn gets to “normal.” [56:50]
- Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Jamie Foxx
- Tony Robbins
- Maria Popova
- Peter Thiel
- Marc Andreessen
- Amanda Palmer
- Malcolm Gladwell
- Rick Rubin
- Reid Hoffman
- Chase Jarvis
- Sam Harris
- Rainn Wilson
- Paul McCartney
- Arianna Huffington
- David Lynch
- Ray Dalio
- Russell Simmons
- Howard Stern
- Jerry Seinfeld
- Wim Hof
- Jeff Bridges
- Sally Field
- Gautama Buddha
- Terence McKenna
- Roland Griffiths
- Adam Gazzaley
- Matthieu Ricard
- Tara Brach
- Amy Winehouse
- Paul Walker
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 600 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.