“Hope is not a strategy. Luck is not a factor. Fear is not an option.” — James Cameron
James Cameron (@jimcameron) is a filmmaker and deep sea explorer. He is writer, director and producer of The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator 2, True Lies, Titanic, and Avatar. Both Titanic and Avatar (the highest grossing film of all time) won the Golden Globe for Best Director and Best Picture and were nominated for a record number of awards. Cameron was also at the vanguard of the 3D renaissance, developing cutting edge 3D camera systems. As an explorer, in 2012, Cameron set the world’s solo deep diving record of 35,787′ in the Challenger Deep in a vehicle of his own design.
A dedicated environmentalist, Cameron founded The Avatar Alliance Foundation to take action on climate change, energy policy, deforestation, indigenous rights, ocean conservation, and sustainable agriculture.
He is currently in production on Avatar 2, 3, 4, and 5.
Suzy Amis Cameron (@suzymusing) is a noted environmental advocate, mother of five, and the author of OMD: The Simple, Plant-Based Program to Save Your Health, Save Your Waistline, and Save the Planet and the founder of the OMD Movement, a multi-pronged effort to transform eating habits and the food system. She is also a founder of Plant Power Task Force, focused on showing the impact of animal agriculture on climate change and the environment, founded in 2012 with her husband James Cameron and Craig McCaw. In 2005, she founded MUSE School, the first school in the country to be 100% solar powered with zero waste and a 100% organic, plant-based lunch program. Additionally, she is a founder of Verdient Foods, Cameron Family Farms, Food Forest Organics, and Red Carpet Green Dress. As an actor she has been featured in more than 25 films, including The Usual Suspects and Titanic.
I thought this episode would be a good opportunity to give some air time to discussion of plant-based diets, but even if you disagree with the idea of plant-based diets, I suggest listening for at least three reasons: One, there’s plenty of non-plant talk. Two, as an exercise in patience. I do my best to expose people to different perspectives, and this is no exception. Three, OMD (One Meal Per Day) is worth learning about to understand the discipline that goes into conscious eating and habit formation.
Also not to be missed, James mentions in the full audio that unlike on previous films he didn’t get sick during the simultaneous filming of Avatar 2 and 3, which is astonishing considering, as he put it, that “they [meaning all staff] know coming in when they sign up that it’s going to be the most difficult production in human history.” So how did he do it? He credits it to his new routine, including a plant-based diet, supplements, exercise, etc. I asked him for a sample day, which he provided. You can find James’s super dialed-in daily routine for Avatar 2 and 3 at tim.blog/jamescameron.
P.S. And if you want to hear more from Suzy and James, you can find below two bonus episodes published on the Tribe of Mentors podcast.
- Listen to it on Apple Podcasts.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Listen to the full set of questions and answers on the Tribe of Mentors podcast:
Listen to the short episode on the Tribe of Mentors podcast, which features Suzy and James’s favorite failures, bad advice they hear, as well as they are favorite and most gifted books:
This podcast is brought to you by Four Sigmatic. I reached out to these Finnish entrepreneurs after a very talented acrobat introduced me to one of their products, which blew my mind (in the best way possible). It is mushroom coffee featuring chaga. It tastes like coffee, but there are only 40 milligrams of caffeine, so it has less than half of what you would find in a regular cup of coffee. I do not get any jitters, acid reflux, or any type of stomach burn. It put me on fire for an entire day, and I only had half of the packet.
People are always asking me what I use for cognitive enhancement right now — this is the answer. You can try it right now by going to foursigmatic.com/tim and using the code Tim to get 20 percent off your first order. If you are in the experimental mindset, I do not think you’ll be disappointed.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODES
- Connect with James Cameron:
- Connect with Suzy Amis Cameron:
- OMD: The Simple, Plant-Based Program to Save Your Health, Save Your Waistline, and Save the Planet by Suzy Amis Cameron and Dean Ornish
- Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World by Timothy Ferriss
- The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman by Timothy Ferriss
- The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, and Long-Term Health by T. Colin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell II
- The Forks Over Knives Plan: How to Transition to the Life-Saving, Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet by Alona Pulde and Matthew Lederman
- The Cheese Trap: How Breaking a Surprising Addiction Will Help You Lose Weight, Gain Energy, and Get Healthy by Neal D. Barnard and Marilu Henner
- Miyoko’s Kitchen
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari
- Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder by Arianna Huffington
- The Abyss
- MUSE School
- The Game Changers
- A Personal Testimony Of The Migrant Caravan by Laura Beltr·n Villamizar and Veronica G. Cardenas, NPR
- Planet Has Only until 2030 to Stem Catastrophic Climate Change, Experts Warn by Brandon Miller and Jay Croft, CNN
- James’ Daily Routine
SHORT [TFS] SHOW NOTES
- When the Camerons feel overwhelmed or unfocused or have lost their focus temporarily, what do they do? What questions do they ask themselves? [10:32]
- What would their billboard say? [17:57]
- What are the Camerons currently most excited about? [24:27]
- A request, ask or suggestion for the listeners of this podcast. [27:18]
FULL EPISODE [TOM] SHOW NOTES
- Influential books the Camerons have given most as gifts. [08:18]
- Favorite failures. [14:22]
- Bad recommendations heard often in their areas of expertise. [25:06]
- What new belief, behavior, or habit has most improved their lives? [32:41]
- When the Camerons feel overwhelmed or unfocused or have lost their focus temporarily, what do they do? What questions do they ask themselves? [36:26]
- What would their billboard say? [43:50]
- What are the Camerons currently most excited about? [50:21]
- A request, ask or suggestion for the listeners of this podcast. [53:12]
SHORT [TOM] SHOW NOTES
- Favorite failures. [08:27]
- Bad recommendations heard often in their areas of expertise. [19:10]
- Influential books the Camerons have given most as gifts. [26:38]
- Craig McCaw
- Scott Jurek
- Jonathan Sacks
- Sam Harris
- Dr. Neal Barnard
- Arianna Huffington
- Rebecca Amis
- Jeff King
- Louie Psihoyos
- Allan Savory
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 500 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.