“Welcome to heaven. Population: everyone.”
– Aubrey Marcus
Aubrey Marcus (IG: @aubreymarcus) is the founder and CEO of Onnit, a lifestyle brand based on a holistic health philosophy he calls Total Human Optimization. Onnit is an Inc. 500 company and an industry leader with products touching millions of lives, including many top professional athletes around the world.
Aubrey currently hosts The Aubrey Marcus Podcast, a motivational destination for conversations with the brightest minds in athletics, business, science, relationships and spirituality with over 10 million downloads on iTunes. Aubrey regularly provides commentary to outlets like Entrepreneur, Forbes, The Doctors, and The Joe Rogan Experience.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another episode about spirituality, happiness, and mindfulness? — Listen to this episode with Sharon Salzberg (stream below or right-click here to download):
This episode is brought to you by Peloton, which has become a staple of my daily routine. I picked up this bike after seeing the success of my friend Kevin Rose, and I’ve been enjoying it more than I ever imagined. Peloton is an indoor cycling bike that brings live studio classes right to your home. No worrying about fitting classes into your busy schedule or making it to a studio with a crazy commute.
New classes are added every day, and this includes options led by elite NYC instructors in your own living room. You can even live stream studio classes taught by the world’s best instructors, or find your favorite class on demand.
Peloton is offering listeners to this show a special offer. Visit onepeloton.com and enter the code TIM at checkout to receive $100 off accessories with your Peloton bike purchase. This is a great way to get in your workouts or an incredible gift. Again, that’s onepeloton.com and enter the code TIM.
This episode is also brought to you by 99Designs, the world’s largest marketplace of graphic designers. I have used them for years to create some amazing designs. When your business needs a logo, website design, business card, or anything you can imagine, check out 99Designs.
I used them to rapid prototype the cover for The Tao of Seneca, and I’ve also had them help with display advertising and illustrations. If you want a more personalized approach, I recommend their 1-on-1 service. You get original designs from designers around the world. The best part? You provide your feedback, and then you end up with a product that you’re happy with or your money back. Click this link and get a free $99 upgrade. Give it a test run…
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Aubrey Marcus:
- Own the Day, Own Your Life: Optimized Practices for Waking, Working, Learning, Eating, Training, Playing, Sleeping, and Sex by Aubrey Marcus
- Ecstacy dance playlist
Part 1: In the womb, all is good. Start on the ground, get moving, warm up your joints stretch and flow. Breathe into abundance.
Part 2: Water breaks, chaos. Harder to find the beat, harder to move. Breathe into heartbreak, letting go, and surrender. Then build up your warrior spirit for the fight ahead.
Part 3: Birth canal is available, time to fight for breath, for light. Everything you got, dance as hard as you can–yell, growl, feel the wolf inside. Claim your space and dance for those you love and those you wish to protect.
Part 4: The ecstasy of birth, your first breath. The first time light splashes against your eyes, and you see your mother. A celebration of being alive and in body. Finish in classic yoga shavasana for last song.
- What Is a Vision Quest and Why Do One? by Maddisen K. Krown, HuffPost
- The Psychedelic Explorer’s Guide — Risks, Micro-Dosing, Ibogaine, and More
- Onnit Alpha Brain
- Bulletproof Coffee
- The Joe Rogan Experience
- War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
- Moby Dick by Herman Melville
- Books by Carlos Castaneda
- The Toltec Art of Life and Death: Living Your Life as a Work of Art by Don Miguel Ruiz and Barbara Emrys
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Don Miguel Ruiz
- The Mastery of Love: A Practical Guide to the Art of Relationship by Don Miguel Ruiz
- Island by Aldous Huxley
- Sex at Dawn: How We Mate, Why We Stray, and What It Means for Modern Relationships by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jetha
- Aubrey Marcus Gets Real about His Open Relationship by Ashley Uzer, Galore
- Sam Harris’ Waking Up App
- The Healing Practice of Ecstatic Dance by Ian Faulkner, Elephant Journal
- Grof’s Basic Perinatal Matrices
- Music by Lindsey Stirling
- Beats Antique
- A Tribe Called Red
- Sleep: The Myth of 8 Hours, the Power of Naps, and the New Plan to Recharge Your Body and Mind by Nick Littlehales
- Is Austin past its prime or just getting better? [06:57]
- When was the last time Aubrey cried tears of joy? [09:02]
- How did a vision quest help Aubrey shift gears and stop being miserable? [12:09]
- If Aubrey someday has kids, would he encourage a similar rite of passage for them? [17:19]
- Which element does Aubrey feel contributed most heavily to his vision quest experience: psychedelics, ceremony, or guidance? [18:41]
- When he was younger, what did Aubrey want to be when he grew up? [20:38]
- What projects did Aubrey try that didn’t quite work out? [21:25]
- What is Onnit, and what about it is Aubrey most proud of? [23:10]
- How many people does Onnit now employ, and how much has the company grown since it started in 2010? [24:39]
- Aubrey talks about the complicated relationship with his father and how it affected his relationships with others. [26:53]
- Learning what causes our own trauma allows us to help others overcome theirs. [34:24]
- When was the first time Aubrey felt successful? [37:13]
- How did Aubrey become business partners with Joe Rogan? [40:46]
- Influential books. [47:55]
- Aubrey’s guidelines for exploring open relationships. [52:40]
- Failures that set the stage for later success. [54:20]
- What’s Aubrey’s pattern interrupt for anger management? [56:40]
- What would Aubrey’s billboard say? [1:01:27]
- Tools for a more fulfilling life. [1:02:44]
- The music Aubrey uses for ecstatic dance. [1:07:10]
- On getting comfortable with discomfort. [1:13:05]
- Aubrey gives us a preview of what we can expect from his book Own the Day, Own Your Life. [1:13:59]
- What advice would Aubrey give his younger self? [1:18:08]
- Parting thoughts and a term of cannibal affection. [1:21:00]
- Jerzy Gregorek
- Michael Hebb
- Stan Grof
- Michael Marcus
- Genghis Khan
- Caitlyn Howe
- Bode Miller
- Ram Dass
- Kyle Kingsbury
- William Wallace
- Joe Rogan
- Alice Little
- Carlos Castaneda
- Don Miguel Ruiz
- Aldous Huxley
- Whitney Miller
- Duncan Trussell
- Wim Hof
- Sam Harris
- Lindsey Stirling
- Neale Donald Walsch
- Jim Rohn
- Nick Littlehales
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with over 500 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.