“Trauma isn’t what happens to you, it’s what happens inside you.”
– Gabor Maté
[HOUSEKEEPING NOTE: Some people in the comments are asking “Which ayahuasca/ibogaine retreat center would you recommend?” and similar questions. To avoid DIY medicine, potential injuries, and other liability headaches, we have decided not to publish these comments. There’s plenty of other material to work with.]
Dr. Gabor Maté (@drmate) is a physician who specializes in neurology, psychiatry, and psychology. He’s well known for studying and treating addiction.
Dr. Maté has written several books, including the award-winning In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction. His work has been published internationally in 20 languages, and he’s received the Hubert Evans Non-Fiction Prize; an Honorary Degree (Law) from the University of Northern British Columbia; an Outstanding Alumnus Award from Simon Fraser University; and the 2012 Martin Luther King Humanitarian Award from Mothers Against Teen Violence. He is an adjunct professor in the Faculty of Criminology, Simon Fraser University.
I’ve wanted to invite Dr. Maté to this podcast for a while because he is not only an expert in the pathologies of addiction, but he’s experimented with — and used successfully — tools that are perhaps outside the realm of traditional psychiatry. He is also a co-founder, along with Vicky Dulai, of Compassion for Addiction, a group that advocates for a new way to understand and treat addiction.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
Want to hear more about alternative medicine? Check out my conversations with James Fadiman, Ph.D. In the below episode, we discuss LSD and micro-dosing for creative problem solving, anxiety reduction, and more (stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Ascent Protein, the only US-based company that offers native proteins — both whey and micellar casein — directly to the consumer for improved muscle health and performance. Because the product is sourced from Ascent’s parent company, Leprino Foods — the largest producer of mozzarella cheese in the world — it’s entirely free of artificial ingredients and completely bypasses the bleaching process common to most other whey products on the market.
If you want cleaner, more pure, less processed protein — which I certainly do — go to ascentprotein.com/tim for 20 percent off your entire order! I’m a big fan of all of their flavors — the chocolate, vanilla, and even their newest option, cappuccino. Enjoy!
This podcast is also brought to you by 99Designs, the world’s largest marketplace of graphic designers. I have used them for years to create some amazing designs. When your business needs a logo, website design, business card, or anything you can imagine, check out 99Designs.
I used them to rapid prototype the cover for The Tao of Seneca, and I’ve also had them help with display advertising and illustrations. If you want a more personalized approach, I recommend their 1-on-1 service. You get original designs from designers around the world. The best part? You provide your feedback, and then you end up with a product that you’re happy with or your money back. Click this link and get a free $99 upgrade. Give it a test run…
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Gabor Maté:
- In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction by Gabor Maté
- Compassion for Addiction
- Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World by Timothy Ferriss
- The Scourge of the Swastika: A History of Nazi War Crimes During World War II by E.F.L. Russell
- Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne
- Goodbye Christopher Robin
- The Drama of the Gifted Child: The Search for the True Self by Alice Miller
- Psychoanalytic Theory
- Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
- The Dhammapada by Anonymous
- What Is Palliative Care?
- American Society of Addiction Medicine
- An Integrated Scientific Framework for Child Survival and Early Childhood Development by Jack P. Shonkoff, Linda Richter, Jacques van der Gaag, Zulfiqar A. Bhutta
- Temper Trap: The Genetics of Aggression and Self-Control by Tom Denson, The Conversation
- Take the ACE (Adverse Childhood Experiences) Quiz — and Learn What It Does and Doesn’t Mean by Laura Starecheski, NPR
- The Drug of Choice for the Age of Kale (Ayahuasca) by Ariel Levy, The New Yorker
- Lovingkindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness by Sharon Salzberg
- Compassionate Inquiry with Dr. Gabor Maté
- Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma by Peter A. Levine and Ann Frederick
- Peter Levine on Trauma Healing: A Somatic Approach by Victor Yalom and Marie-Helene Yalom
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Emotional Freedom Techniques
- Sensory Integration Therapy
- Inner Engineering
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS)
- Heffter Research Institute
- Usona Institute
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- The Gift of Fear and Other Survival Signals that Protect Us From Violence by Gavin de Becker
- Any Way You Want Me (That’s How I Will Be) by Elvis Presley
- Vipassana Meditation
- Date with Destiny
- Spirit Rock — An Insight Meditation Center
- Glossary of Spiritual Wisdom by A.H. Almaas
- In Your Mind by Johnny Cash
- Scattered: How Attention Deficit Disorder Originates and What You Can Do About It by Gabor Maté
- Hold On to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter More Than Peers by Gordon Neufeld and Gabor Maté M.D.
- Gabor shares his family history and how it motivated him to understand people as a medical doctor. [09:58]
- On influential books and gaining, rather than losing, something in translation. [14:06]
- The link between sensitivity, pain, and creativity. [21:33]
- How does Gabor start helping someone who’s outwardly successful but inwardly tortured? [24:31]
- When did Gabor’s interest in medicine begin? [29:58]
- How did Gabor end up working in palliative care? [33:49]
- How did Gabor start focusing on his work with addiction? [36:29]
- What nontraditional methods did Gabor use that raised eyebrows and got him fired, which opened opportunities he couldn’t have foreseen? [37:10]
- How does Gabor define addiction, and how is it at odds with other definitions? [39:16]
- What prompted my high school drug addiction? [41:32]
- How a coping mechanism becomes the root of addiction. [47:39]
- Looking at the causes of addiction instead of the consequences. [52:10]
- To what extent do genetics play a role in addiction? [1:01:56]
- What do the Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) studies tell us about the nature of addiction? [1:04:50]
- How I’ve used loving kindness meditation to shed certain behaviors. [1:07:17]
- Once Gabor identifies why an addiction exists, what’s the next step? [1:11:37]
- Recommendations for someone looking to reconnect with themselves. [1:14:34]
- After a lifetime of believing himself unaffected by the benefits of yoga, what kind of yoga has Gabor recently started practicing with great success? [1:18:42]
- How did Gabor begin researching the therapeutic value of psychedelics? What was revealed by his first experience with ayahuasca? [1:20:56]
- The right way and the wrong way to experience ayahuasca. [1:26:46]
- Where can people learn more about current scientific studies into the therapeutic benefits of psychedelics? [1:30:40]
- An important caveat about powerful tools and exploitative gurus. [1:35:05]
- How I’ve been trying to reconnect with myself and my own gut feelings. [1:38:29]
- Why we shut down our gut feelings. [1:41:14]
- Elvis Presley’s lack of love song. [1:45:55]
- Some powerful modalities aren’t for everyone. [1:47:26]
- How did humans discover ayahuasca? How might it differ from place to place? [1:49:17]
- Gabor’s pre- and post-ayahuasca practices. [1:53:14]
- The importance of integrating by sharing our powerful experiences with others. [1:59:41]
- The clear intention you set is not the same as an expectation. “The task which hinders your task is your task.” [2:01:20]
- How can we view such a task as a gift? [2:05:07]
- An exercise for understanding how we respond not to what happens but to our perception of what happens. [2:07:18]
- Why blaming others for our problems turns us into victims, while identifying ourselves as the source of those problems is empowering. [2:14:01]
- What Gabor’s books are about and where he and his work can be found. [2:19:25]
- The problem with the way the United States deals with trauma. [2:24:47]
- Parting thoughts. [2:27:05]
- Vicky Dulai
- John Price
- Christopher Robin Milne
- A.A. Milne
- Walt Disney
- Alice Miller
- Sigmund Freud
- Elvis Presley
- Marilyn Monroe
- Gautama Buddha
- Donald Trump
- George Sarlo
- Tony Robbins
- Vincent Felitti
- Chade-Meng Tan
- Jack Kornfield
- Peter Levine
- Rick Doblin
- William Griffith Wilson
- Joe Gebbia
- Marc Benioff
- A.H. Almaas
- Robert Rodriguez
- Johnny Cash
- Ramana Maharshi
- Bettina Goering
- Hermann Goering
- Gordon Neufeld
Posted on: February 20, 2018.
Please check out Tribe of Mentors, my newest book, which shares short, tactical life advice from 100+ world-class performers. Many of the world's most famous entrepreneurs, athletes, investors, poker players, and artists are part of the book. The tips and strategies in Tribe of Mentors have already changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for a sample chapter and full details. Roughly 90% of the guests have never appeared on my podcast.
Who was interviewed? Here's a very partial list: tech icons (founders of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Craigslist, Pinterest, Spotify, Salesforce, Dropbox, and more), Jimmy Fallon, Arianna Huffington, Brandon Stanton (Humans of New York), Lord Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ben Stiller, Maurice Ashley (first African-American Grandmaster of chess), Brené Brown (researcher and bestselling author), Rick Rubin (legendary music producer), Temple Grandin (animal behavior expert and autism activist), Franklin Leonard (The Black List), Dara Torres (12-time Olympic medalist in swimming), David Lynch (director), Kelly Slater (surfing legend), Bozoma Saint John (Beats/Apple/Uber), Lewis Cantley (famed cancer researcher), Maria Sharapova, Chris Anderson (curator of TED), Terry Crews, Greg Norman (golf icon), Vitalik Buterin (creator of Ethereum), and nearly 100 more. Check it all out by clicking here.