“Tragedies are the result of a series of small forks in the road.”
– Caroline Paul
Caroline is the author of four published books. Her latest is the New York Times bestseller The Gutsy Girl: Escapades for Your Life of Epic Adventure.
Once a young scaredy-cat, Caroline decided that fear got in the way of excitement, confidence, and self-reliance. She has since flown planes, climbed tall mountains, and fought fires as one of the first female firefighters in San Francisco.
In this episode, Caroline answers your most popular questions, including:
- The best starting point for overcoming your fears
- How to stay focused in the moment and not let your mind create anxiety and stress
- Her biggest life-changing experiences
- Coping strategies for dealing with life’s most difficult events
- And much, much more!
I hope you enjoy this round 2 Q&A with Caroline Paul.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another conversation with Caroline Paul? — Listen to her first appearance on the podcast. In this episode, we discuss various types of fear and how to overcome them, using stories, habits, and tactics.(stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Four Sigmatic. I reached out to these Finnish entrepreneurs after a very talented acrobat introduced me to one of their products, which blew my mind (in the best way possible). It is mushroom coffee featuring chaga. It tastes like coffee, but there are only 40 milligrams of caffeine, so it has less than half of what you would find in a regular cup of coffee. I do not get any jitters, acid reflux, or any type of stomach burn. It put me on fire for an entire day, and I only had half of the packet.
People are always asking me what I use for cognitive enhancement right now — this is the answer. You can try it right now by going to foursigmatic.com/tim and using the code Tim to get 20 percent off your first order. If you are in the experimental mindset, I do not think youíll be disappointed.
This podcast is also brought to you by Wealthfront. Wealthfront is the future of financial advice. It’s become especially popular among my friends in Silicon Valley and across the country because it provides the same high-end financial advice that the best private wealth managers deliver to the ultra wealthy — but for any account size, at a fraction of the cost.
Wealthfront monitors your portfolio every day across more than a dozen asset classes to find opportunities for rebalancing and harvesting tax losses, and now manages more than $5B in assets. Unlike old-fashioned private wealth managers, Wealthfront is powered by innovative technology, making it the most tax-efficient, low-cost, hassle-free way to invest. Go to wealthfront.com/tim to take the risk assessment quiz, which only takes 2-5 minutes, and it’ll show you — for free — exactly the portfolio it would recommend. If you want to just take the advice and do it yourself, you can. Or, as I would, you can set it and forget it. Well worth a few minutes: wealthfront.com/tim. As a Tim Ferriss Show listener, you’ll get your first $15,000 managed for free if you decide to go with its services.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Caroline Paul:
- How to Overcome Fear — Lessons from Firefighter and Luger, Caroline Paul (her first appearance on this show)
- The Gutsy Girl: Escapades for Your Life of Epic Adventure by Caroline Paul, illustrated by Wendy MacNaughton
- Brave Is Built, Not Born: Why We All Need Microbravery Now by Rachel Simmons, Girls Leadership
- Fighting Fire by Caroline Paul
- Why Boys Should Read Girl Books by Caroline Paul
- Sea Kayaking in Baja by Andromeda Romano-Lax
- This is what it looks like when you go paragliding off a mountain top.
- Denali National Park & Preserve
- If you’re trying to change your relationship with fear, where do you start? [05:43]
- Suggestions for people who work in the emergency medical community. [11:09]
- What’s the best gift to get a firefighter? [17:19]
- How does Caroline focus and stay rooted in the present? [19:39]
- The Checklist Theory and coping strategies for exposure to horrific human events. [24:16]
- Avoiding gender bias with kids. [27:44]
- What adventures have been most life-changing for Caroline — and why? [32:41]
- What is Caroline’s nighttime routine? [37:27]
- Why did Caroline start flying, and what made her switch from Cessnas to paragliders to ultralights? [38:36]
- While firefighting or adventuring, has Caroline ever been trapped or in need of rescue? [45:03]
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 500 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.