Caroline Paul (@carowriter) is a blast and can also probably kick my ass… seriously.
Caroline is the author of four published books. Her latest is the New York Times best seller The Gutsy Girl: Escapades for Your Life of Epic Adventure.
Once a young scaredy-cat, Caroline decided that fear got in the way of the life she wanted–of excitement, confidence, and self-reliance. She has since flown planes, rafted big rivers, climbed tall mountains, and fought fires as one of the first female firefighters in San Francisco.
In this episode, we discuss various types of fear and how to overcome them, using stories, habits, and tactics.
If you only have a couple of minutes, you might find this section valuable.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another podcast featuring a daring woman who challenges perceived limitations? — Listen to my conversation with Amelia Boone. In this episode, we discuss how she beats 99% of men in endurance races like the World’s Toughest Mudder (stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Wealthfront. Wealthfront is a massively disruptive (in a good way) set-it-and-forget-it investing service, led by technologists from places like Apple. It has exploded in popularity in the last two years and now has more than $2.5B under management. Why? Because you can get services previously limited to the ultra-wealthy and only pay pennies on the dollar for them, and it’s all through smarter software instead of retail locations and bloated sales teams.
Check out wealthfront.com/tim, take their risk assessment quiz, which only takes 2-5 minutes, and they’ll show you—for free–exactly the portfolio they’d put you in. If you want to just take their advice and do it yourself, you can. Well worth a few minutes to explore: wealthfront.com/tim.
All you need to do to get your free 30-day Audible trial is go to Audible.com/Tim. Choose one of the above books, or choose between more than 180,000 audio programs. That could be a book, a newspaper, a magazine, or even a class. It’s that easy. Go to Audible.com/Tim and get started today. Enjoy!
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What creates the most fear in your life, and how might you overcome this fear? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- The Gutsy Girl by Caroline Paul, illustrated by Wendy MacNaughton
- Why Do We Teach Girls That It’s Cute to Be Scared? by Caroline Paul
- Learn more about Pacifica Radio
- How to join the San Francisco Fire Department
- Cus D’Amato – The Coward and The Hero
- Watch Amy Cuddy: Your body language shapes who you are
- Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
- Learn more about Olympic Women’s Skeleton
- Learn more about Wendy MacNaughton
- The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien
- The Dog Stars by Peter Heller
- West with the Night by Beryl Markham
- Watch Maidentrip (on iTunes) about Laura Dekker, the 13-year-old girl who sailed around the world
- Lost Cat by Caroline Paul
- Connect with Caroline Paul:
- On Chris Sacca’s excellent introductions [6:18]
- Providing context for “pulling a dead body from the bay” [7:51]
- The story of the milk cartons [12:13]
- On “free range” parenting [18:13]
- How Caroline Paul became a firefighter [22:02]
- How fighting fires works [27:28]
- What makes a good firefighter [33:13]
- On being the 15th woman in an organization of 1,500 men [37:36]
- Life lessons from fighting fires [39:28]
- Specific memories from medical calls as a firefighter [41:11]
- Most terrifying moments [46:41]
- Strategies for prioritizing fear and other emotions [50:58]
- On coming out in the 1980s [54:33]
- The thinking behind the op-ed, “Why Do We Teach Girls That It’s Cute to Be Scared [1:01:53]
- Most gifted books [1:09:55]
- Caroline Paul’s current workout routine [1:10:43]
- The path to the Olympics [1:11:55]
- When you think of the word successful, who is the first person who comes to mind and why? [1:23:31]
- Three books Caroline Paul would give every college graduate[1:25:50]
- Most important historical figures [1:27:34]
- If you could have one billboard anywhere, what would it say and why? [1:32:30]
- Morning and daily routines [1:32:53]
- Do you wish people would break more bones as kids? [1:37:05]
- Caroline Paul’s request to the audience [1:40:21]
Posted on: April 5, 2016.
Please check out Tools of Titans, my latest book, which shares the tactics, routines, and habits of billionaires, icons, and world-class performers. It was distilled from more than 10,000 pages of notes, and everything has been vetted and tested in my own life in some fashion. The tips and tricks in Tools of Titans changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for sample chapters, full details, and a Foreword from Arnold Schwarzenegger.