This is a truly random episode of Random. What has Kevin learned in his new role as CEO of Digg? Which new books, people, and websites are we finding interesting? From management lessons to language learning (and a critique of Rosetta Stone), this episode meanders all over the place.
Tim talks about his week in Amsterdam, the Queen’s Day celebration, The Next Web, the status to his upcoming book and DailyBurn’s business exit.
Kevin Rose, Digg Inc. CEO discusses product development, work frustrations, and the new Digg version with Cassandra back-end. The new version includes 3-5 core features, followed by weekly releases.
Show sponsor: Sonos—http://sonos.com/random
• Reference: The Next Web http://thenextweb.com
• Reference: Queens Day http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koninginnedag
• Reference: Tim’s upcoming book http://su.pr/2iZgRr
• Reference: DailyBurn.com Exit http://techcrunch.com/2010/05/20/iac-dailyburn
-Business Exit def. http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/exit.html
• Book: How to Break A Terrorist http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Break_a_Terrorist
• Clothing: Cordaround http://www.cordarounds.com/blog
• Person: Nassim Nicholas Taleb http://www.fooledbyrandomness.com
– Taleb’s book: The Black Swan (same link as above)
– Nassim Taleb on Twitter: http://twitter.com/nntaleb
• Website: Livemocha.com- Language learning http://www.livemocha.com
• Product: Pimsleur Direct- Language learning http://www.pimsleurdirect.com
– Turkish: Lonely Planet Phrasebook (Paperback) http://www.amazon.com/Turkish-Lonely-Phrasebook-Arzu-Kurklu/dp/1864503165
• Websites: www.livemocha.com and eduFire.com
Show Sponsor: http://www.sonos.com/random
• Reference: http://cassandra.apache.org
• Reference: Six Apart Co. http://www.sixapart.com
• Reference: Digg iPad App http://about.digg.com/blog/announcing-diggs-iphone-app
• Book: Rework 37 Signals- business minimalist philosophy http://smarterware.org/5373/rework-37signals-recipe-for-running-a-business (includes PDF excerpt)
• Person: Phillip Rosedale- Founder of Second Life, Founder of LoveMachineInc.com http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Rosedale
– employee 2 employee praise http://www.lovemachineinc.com
– Phillip Rosedale on Twitter: http://twitter.com/philiplinden
Philip’s awesome pants: Cordarounds— http://www.cordarounds.com/catalog
• Website: Evernote http://www.evernote.com
• Glenn on tour with Delivering Happiness Book Team http://www.deliveringhappinessbook.com
Elsewhere on the web:
5 Alternatives to Traditional Retirement – US News and World Report
Posted on: June 7, 2010.
Please check out Tribe of Mentors, my newest book, which shares short, tactical life advice from 100+ world-class performers. Many of the world's most famous entrepreneurs, athletes, investors, poker players, and artists are part of the book. The tips and strategies in Tribe of Mentors have already changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for a sample chapter and full details. Roughly 90% of the guests have never appeared on my podcast.
Who was interviewed? Here's a very partial list: tech icons (founders of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Craigslist, Pinterest, Spotify, Salesforce, Dropbox, and more), Jimmy Fallon, Arianna Huffington, Brandon Stanton (Humans of New York), Lord Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ben Stiller, Maurice Ashley (first African-American Grandmaster of chess), Brené Brown (researcher and bestselling author), Rick Rubin (legendary music producer), Temple Grandin (animal behavior expert and autism activist), Franklin Leonard (The Black List), Dara Torres (12-time Olympic medalist in swimming), David Lynch (director), Kelly Slater (surfing legend), Bozoma Saint John (Beats/Apple/Uber), Lewis Cantley (famed cancer researcher), Maria Sharapova, Chris Anderson (curator of TED), Terry Crews, Greg Norman (golf icon), Vitalik Buterin (creator of Ethereum), and nearly 100 more. Check it all out by clicking here.