“Busy is a decision.”
– Debbie Millman
This special episode is shorter than usual and features one of the most popular guests we’ve ever had on the podcast. Debbie Millman (@debbiemillman) was named by Graphic Design USA as “one of the most influential designers working today.” She is also the founder and host of Design Matters, the world’s first and longest-running podcast about design, where she’s interviewed nearly 300 design luminaries and cultural commentators including Massimo Vignelli and Milton Glaser.
Debbie’s done it all. Her artwork has been exhibited around the world. She is the President Emeritus of AIGA (one of only five women to hold the position in the organization’s one-hundred-year history), the editorial and creative director of Print magazine, and the author of six books. In 2009, Debbie co-founded (with Steven Heller) the world’s first masters program in branding at the School of Visual Arts in New York City, which has received international acclaim.
In this episode, Debbie outlines:
- How to bounce back from rejection and criticism.
- The importance of mental health.
- Whether courage or confidence is more important.
- Five questions to help clarify your own purpose.
- And much, much more.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear my first episode with Debbie Millman? — Listen to this episode, where we discuss how to recover from rejection, how to overcome personal crises of faith, class exercises from her most impactful mentors, and much more. (stream below or right-click here to download):
This episode is brought to you by Ascent Protein, the only US-based company that offers native proteins — both whey and micellar casein — directly to the consumer for improved muscle health and performance. Because the product is sourced from Ascent’s parent company, Leprino Foods — the largest producer of mozzarella cheese in the world — it’s entirely free of artificial ingredients and completely bypasses the bleaching process common to most other whey products on the market.
If you want cleaner, more pure, less processed protein — which I certainly do — go to ascentprotein.com/tim for 20 percent off your entire order! I’m a big fan of all of their flavors — the chocolate, vanilla, and even their newest option, cappuccino. Enjoy!
This episode is also brought to you by Four Sigmatic. While I often praise this company’s lion’s mane mushroom coffee for a minimal caffeine wakeup call that lasts, I asked the founders if they could help me — someone who’s struggled with insomnia for decades — sleep. Their answer: Reishi Mushroom Elixir. They made a special batch for me and my listeners that comes without sweetener; you can try it at bedtime with a little honey or nut milk, or you can just add hot water to your single-serving packet and embrace its bitterness like I do.
Try it right now by going to foursigmatic.com/ferriss and using the code Ferriss to get 20 percent off this rare, limited run of Reishi Mushroom Elixir. If you are in the experimental mindset, I do not think you’ll be disappointed.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Debbie Millman:
- Debbie’s first and second appearances on this show.
- Books by Debbie Millman
- The Voice That Is Great Within Us: American Poetry of the Twentieth Century edited by Hayden Carruth
- Maximus, to Himself by Charles Olson
- Apple Pencil
- AIGA: Sold Out — the Speak Up open letter by Felix Sockwell and its follow up, Is the Dark Side Prevailing?
- Why It’s Time To Take A New Look At Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy by Todd Essig, Forbes
- Debbie’s Design Matters interview with Dani Shapiro
- Influential and most-gifted books. [08:31]
- Debbie reads us her favorite poem. [09:47]
- What recent purchase of $100 or less has had the most positive impact on Debbie’s life? [11:31]
- Does Debbie have a favorite failure that set her up for later success? [11:54]
- What would Debbie’s billboard say? [13:38]
- One of the most worthwhile investments Debbie has made. [15:16]
- An unusual habit or absurd thing Debbie loves. [21:32]
- What belief, behavior, or habit has most improved Debbie’s life in the past five years? [22:37]
- What advice would Debbie give to a smart, driven college student about to enter the “real” world (and what advice should they ignore)? [26:04]
- Bad recommendations Debbie hears in her field often. [28:52]
- What fortune cookie advice does Debbie heed to overcome feeling overwhelmed or unfocused? [29:49]
- Massimo Vignelli
- Milton Glaser
- Steven Heller
- Hayden Carruth
- Charles Olson
- Denise Levertov
- Adrienne Rich
- Ezra Pound
- Wallace Stevens
- Seth Godin
- Dani Shapiro
Posted on: March 21, 2018.
Please check out Tribe of Mentors, my newest book, which shares short, tactical life advice from 100+ world-class performers. Many of the world's most famous entrepreneurs, athletes, investors, poker players, and artists are part of the book. The tips and strategies in Tribe of Mentors have already changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for a sample chapter and full details. Roughly 90% of the guests have never appeared on my podcast.
Who was interviewed? Here's a very partial list: tech icons (founders of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Craigslist, Pinterest, Spotify, Salesforce, Dropbox, and more), Jimmy Fallon, Arianna Huffington, Brandon Stanton (Humans of New York), Lord Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ben Stiller, Maurice Ashley (first African-American Grandmaster of chess), Brené Brown (researcher and bestselling author), Rick Rubin (legendary music producer), Temple Grandin (animal behavior expert and autism activist), Franklin Leonard (The Black List), Dara Torres (12-time Olympic medalist in swimming), David Lynch (director), Kelly Slater (surfing legend), Bozoma Saint John (Beats/Apple/Uber), Lewis Cantley (famed cancer researcher), Maria Sharapova, Chris Anderson (curator of TED), Terry Crews, Greg Norman (golf icon), Vitalik Buterin (creator of Ethereum), and nearly 100 more. Check it all out by clicking here.