Kevin Kelly (@kevin2kelly) might be the real-life Most Interesting Man In The World. I’ve always wanted to travel with him, and we recently headed to Uzbekistan together. This episode covers some of our favorite travel tools.
Kevin is Senior Maverick at Wired Magazine, which he co-founded in 1993. He also co-founded the All Species Foundation, a non-profit aimed at cataloging and identifying every living species on earth. In his spare time, he writes bestselling books, co-founded The Rosetta Project, which is building an archive of all documented human language, and serves on the board of The Long Now Foundation. As part of The Long Now Foundation, he’s investigating how to revive and restore endangered or extinct species, including the Wooly Mammoth.
His newest critically acclaimed book is The Inevitable: Understanding the 12 Technological Forces That Will Shape Our Future. As journalist David Pogue has said: “Anyone can claim to be a prophet, a fortune teller, or a futurist, and plenty of people do. What makes Kevin Kelly different is that he’s right…”
This episode touches on a lot of cool stuff, and we had a blast recording it in the back of a car in the mountains. Enjoy!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear my earlier conversations with Kevin Kelly, in which we discuss population implosions, The Long Now Foundation, organizational methods for learning, and much more? — Listen to them here (stream below or right-click to download part 1 | part 2 | part 3):
This podcast is brought to you by WordPress, my go-to platform for 24/7-supported, zero downtime blogging, writing online, creating websites — everything! I love it to bits, and the lead developer, Matt Mullenweg, has appeared on this podcast many times.
Whether for personal use or business, you’re in good company with WordPress — used by The New Yorker, Jay Z, FiveThirtyEight, TechCrunch, TED, CNN, and Time, just to name a few. A source at Google told me that WordPress offers “the best out-of-the-box SEO imaginable,” which is probably why it runs nearly 30% of the Internet. Go to WordPress.com/Tim to get 15% off your website today!
This podcast is also brought to you by TrunkClub. I hate shopping with a passion. And honestly, I’m not good at it, which means I end up looking like I’m colorblind or homeless. Enter TrunkClub, which provides you with your own personal stylist and makes it easier than ever to shop for clothes that look great on your body. Just go to trunkclub.com/tim and answer a few questions, and then you’ll be sent a trunk full of awesome clothes. They base this on your sizes, preferences, etc. The trunk is then delivered free of charge both ways, so you only pay for clothes that you keep. If you keep none, it costs you nothing. To get started, check it out at trunkclub.com/tim.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Kevin Kelly:
- The Inevitable: Understanding the 12 Technological Forces That Will Shape Our Future by Kevin Kelly
- Kevin’s first appearance on The Tim Ferriss Show, his second, and third.
- Wired Magazine
- Learn more about the All Species Foundation
- The Rosetta Project
- The Long Now Foundation
- The Tien Shan Mountains, Encyclopaedia Britannica
- Uzbekistan, Lonely Planet
- Nau Vice II Blazer
- Logitech Keys-To-Go Ultra-Portable Stand-Alone Keyboard
- Mack’s Pillow Soft Silicone Earplugs
- Cabeau Evolution Memory Foam Travel Neck Pillow
- Apnea Trainer by Jan Luther
- myTracks GPS Logger by Dirk Stichling
- A compact umbrella with top spray-painted silver to reflect the sun
- My most recent TED Talk: Why You Should Define Your Fears Instead of Your Goals (and if you’re interested, here’s my last one).
- I’ll be making the written and illustrated version of The Tao of Seneca available for free soon; in the meantime, here’s the audiobook version.
- Yellowtec USA YT5040 iXM Handheld Recorder with Dynamic Omnidirectional Mic Head
- Rode iXY Recording Microphone for iPhone/iPad
- We cross a pass in the Tian Shan mountains at two thousand meters; Kevin explains the relative geography of Uzbekistan. [07:46]
- My first cool tool [08:34]
- My second cool tool [13:46]
- My third cool tool [16:19]
- My fourth cool tool [18:58]
- An app I use a lot when traveling [22:00]
- An app Kevin uses often [24:14]
- Kevin’s Cool Tool [26:36]
- What I’m up to next. [28:52]
- What Kevin’s up to now. [30:32]
- A final, bonus cool tool [31:35]
Posted on: June 20, 2017.
Please check out Tools of Titans, my latest book, which shares the tactics, routines, and habits of billionaires, icons, and world-class performers. It was distilled from more than 10,000 pages of notes, and everything has been vetted and tested in my own life in some fashion. The tips and tricks in Tools of Titans changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for sample chapters, full details, and a Foreword from Arnold Schwarzenegger.