“Part of being successful is to give something back.”
– Arnold Schwarzenegger
Arnold Schwarzenegger (@Schwarzenegger) told you he’d be back.
In our first conversation (Episode 60), the former Mr. Olympia, Terminator, and Governator shared daily routines, psychological warfare tactics, favorite books, early entrepreneurial ventures (and tips), and many stories no one had heard before. This time around, the new host of The Celebrity Apprentice answered your most popular and upvoted questions, including some controversial ones. He does not shy away from anything, and this is no exception.
In this episode, Arnold talks about his recent Twitter battle with President-elect Donald Trump, his investment strategies, politics, the state of bodybuilding, his sleep schedule, and much more. [Special thanks to Daniel Ketchell for pitching the questions here.]
I hope you enjoy this incredible round two with Arnold Schwarzenegger! It doesn’t disappoint.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another episode with Arnold Schwarzenegger? — Listen to his first appearance on the podcast. In this episode, we discuss the art of psychological warfare, how Twins became his most lucrative movie, mailing cow balls to politicians, how Arnold made millions before his acting career took off, and much, much more (stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Wealthfront. Wealthfront is a massively disruptive (in a good way) set-it-and-forget-it investing service, led by technologists from places like Apple and world-famous investors. It has exploded in popularity in the last two years and now has more than $4B under management. In fact, some of my good investor friends in Silicon Valley have millions of their own money in Wealthfront. Why? Because you can get services previously limited to the ultra-wealthy and only pay pennies on the dollar for them, and it’s all through smarter software instead of retail locations and bloated sales teams.
Check out wealthfront.com/tim, take their risk assessment quiz, which only takes 2-5 minutes, and they’ll show you — for free — exactly the portfolio they’d put you in. If you want to just take their advice and do it yourself, you can. Or, as I would, you can set it and forget it. Well worth a few minutes: wealthfront.com/tim.
This podcast is also brought to you by Athletic Greens. I get asked all the time, “If you could only use one supplement, what would it be?” My answer is, inevitably, Athletic Greens. It is my all-in-one nutritional insurance. I recommended it in The 4-Hour Body and did not get paid to do so. Listeners of The Tim Ferriss Show get $100 worth of travel packs for free when placing an order — that’s twenty free additional travel pouches. Just visit AthleticGreens.com/Tim.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Arnold Schwarzenegger:
- Tim Ferriss Interviews Arnold Schwarzenegger on Psychological Warfare (And Much More)
- The New Celebrity Apprentice
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Takes The High Road After Trump’s Twitter Diss by Tod Perry, Good
- Conan the Barbarian
- Arnold Schwarzenegger for Governor of California — 2003 Commercial
- Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
- 2016 Arnold Classic Women’s Physique International Highlights
- Ms. Olympia
- I Don’t Give a **** If We Agree about Climate Change by Arnold Schwarzenegger, Facebook
- Prop 23: Schwarzenegger, Van Jones Say No by Siel Ju, 89.3 KPCC Pacific Swell
- USC Schwarzenegger Institute for State and Global Policy
- The Surprisingly Lucrative Pre-Fame Career of Arnold Schwarzenegger by Karl Smallwood, Today I Found Out
- No, Arnold Schwarzenegger Can’t Be President — and This Is Dumb by Ian Millhiser, ThinkProgress
- Sylmar-San Fernando Earthquake: 45 Years Ago Tuesday, 64 Killed by Dana Bartholomew, Los Angeles Daily News
- Arnold sets the scene and talks about his mic-drop response to a tweet from President-elect and former Celebrity Apprentice host Donald Trump. [05:56]
- What’s been the hardest choice in Arnold’s life, and the biggest sacrifice he’s made while climbing the ladder of success? [08:34]
- What is the most important thing a woman needs to know if she wants to lead both men and women effectively? [10:55]
- On women in bodybuilding (or anything else, for that matter). [13:07]
- Arnold talks sleep habits and time management. [14:32]
- Going green and having a strong economy aren’t mutually exclusive. [18:38]
- Arnold’s tips on preparing mentally for competition. [20:52]
- How does aging affect diet and fitness? [23:10]
- How can environmentalists better communicate the urgency of tackling climate change now rather than later? [26:06]
- On learning from failures. [31:51]
- What wisdom does Arnold know today that he could have used in his twenties? [34:40]
- Has pursuit of success ever made Arnold blind to other parts of life? [37:48]
- What circumstances led to Arnold befriending Warren Buffett? [42:20]
- What’s Arnold’s take on modern bodybuilding and steroid use? What’s changed in the sport — on a professional and personal level — since he began? [45:02]
- How does Arnold approach risk? Is it possible to train yourself to take better risks? [51:01]
- How does Arnold stay motivated? [55:14]
- What specific things did Arnold look for in his real estate investments? [57:20]
- Arnold’s worst real estate investment is still growing in value. [1:01:46]
- What law would Arnold pass, remove, or amend if given the power? [1:03:07]
- How did Arnold and his partner Franco Columbu drum up business when they owned a construction company? [1:07:37]
- Who would win in a fight between Arnold and me? [1:10:44]
- Closing thoughts. [1:11:28]
- Donald Trump
- Daniel Ketchell
- Maria Shriver
- Indira Gandhi
- Margaret Thatcher
- Golda Meir
- Angela Merkel
- Catherine the Great
- Harold Schneider
- Michael Jordan
- Ted Williams
- Reg Park
- Warren Buffett
- George Shultz
- Steve Reeves
- John Grimek
- Clint Eastwood
- Charles Bronson
- Warren Beatty
- Joe Weider
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Franco Columbu
Posted on: January 18, 2017.
Please check out Tribe of Mentors, my newest book, which shares short, tactical life advice from 100+ world-class performers. Many of the world's most famous entrepreneurs, athletes, investors, poker players, and artists are part of the book. The tips and strategies in Tribe of Mentors have already changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for a sample chapter and full details. Roughly 90% of the guests have never appeared on my podcast.
Who was interviewed? Here's a very partial list: tech icons (founders of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Craigslist, Pinterest, Spotify, Salesforce, Dropbox, and more), Jimmy Fallon, Arianna Huffington, Brandon Stanton (Humans of New York), Lord Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ben Stiller, Maurice Ashley (first African-American Grandmaster of chess), Brené Brown (researcher and bestselling author), Rick Rubin (legendary music producer), Temple Grandin (animal behavior expert and autism activist), Franklin Leonard (The Black List), Dara Torres (12-time Olympic medalist in swimming), David Lynch (director), Kelly Slater (surfing legend), Bozoma Saint John (Beats/Apple/Uber), Lewis Cantley (famed cancer researcher), Maria Sharapova, Chris Anderson (curator of TED), Terry Crews, Greg Norman (golf icon), Vitalik Buterin (creator of Ethereum), and nearly 100 more. Check it all out by clicking here.