This episode is a special double header. It features one interview and one performance.
First up is Kaskade (@Kaskade), widely considered one of the Founding Fathers of Progressive House Music. He’s been voted “America’s Best DJ” twice by DJ Times, headlined Coachella 4 times, and been nominated for a Grammy 5 times.
If you want to hear a cool behind-the-scenes story about how he created the hit song 4 am, check out this 2-minute clip.
Next, you’ll hear Sekou Andrews (@SekouAndrews), the most impressive poetic voice I’ve ever heard. I first saw him perform at TED, where he blew my mind. Sekou is a schoolteacher turned 2x National Poetry Slam champion. He has presented privately for Barack Obama, Bono, Oprah Winfrey, Maya Angelou, as well as for many Fortune 500 companies. If you ever have the chance to hear him live or hire him, take it.
Or, just spend a minute and learn about the “soul selfie.”
Each one of these takes a few minutes to get warmed up, so be patient. There are gems in both. Among other things…
- Kaskade covers his first breaks, making his own luck, formative musical influences, and we dig into his notetaking process, and the origins of one of his biggest hits.
- Sekou will inspire you to be inspired by your story. Do you want to change your narrative, your internal dialogue, to be more successful? Do you need to get back on the horse, or have an effective pep talk in your back pocket?
This might be the recording you listen to over and over again. There is a lot of practical philosophy embedded in and between the lines, so listen to it all.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another podcast with a mega-successful performer? — Listen to my conversation with Jamie Foxx. In this episode, we discuss his workout routines, untold Hollywood stories, and he shares many of his best impressions. (Stream below or right-click here to download):
All you need to do to get your free 30-day Audible trial is go to Audible.com/Tim. Choose one of the above books, or choose between more than 180,000 audio programs. That could be a book, a newspaper, a magazine, or even a class. It’s that easy. Go to Audible.com/Tim and get started today. Enjoy!
This podcast is also brought to you by 99Designs, the world’s largest marketplace of graphic designers. I have used them for years to create some amazing designs. When your business needs a logo, website design, business card, or anything you can imagine, check out 99Designs.
I used them to rapid prototype the cover for The 4-Hour Body, and I’ve also had them help with display advertising and illustrations. If you want a more personalized approach, I recommend their 1-on-1 service. You get original designs from designers around the world. The best part? You provide your feedback, and then you end up with a product that you’re happy with or your money back. Click this link and get a free $99 upgrade. Give it a test run.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What are your thoughts on my first live episode of the podcast? Would you like me to do more of these? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Om Records in San Francisco
- Club Manhattan in Salt Lake City (closed)
- The Cure
- King King in Los Angeles
- Kaskade – 4 AM
- Kaskade Radio on Spotify
- Daft Punk – Homework
- Daft Punk – Discovery
- Lights Out: A Cyberattack, A Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath by Ted Koppel
- Electric Zoo in New York
- Kaskade Redux EP
- Connect with Kaskade:
- Connect with Sekou Andrews:
- Kaskade on his first big break [05:52]
- When Kaskade realized he could make a living from music [06:55]
- Kaskade describes what it was like to move from a thriving music scene in Chicago to Utah. [08:26]
- How Kaskade started making his own music [09:47]
- Recommendations for someone getting started in dance music today [12:09]
- Kaskade’s songwriting influences [16:40]
- What rituals or self-care Kaskade uses to keep from getting run down on long tours [18:12]
- Kaskade’s parenting style. [19:52]
- Kaskade’s on taking notes. (And how they got him in trouble on tour.) [21:32]
- Kaskade tells a behind-the-scenes story of his song 4 AM. [23:51]
- Kaskade’s recommendations for a new listener to dance music. [26:17]
- Kaskade talks about how most music — even rock n’ roll — is electronic these days. [27:42]
- Most gifted books [28:43]
- What Kaskade believes is the most underappreciated festival. [29:22]
- The first person who comes to mind when Kaskade thinks of the word “successful.” [30:11]
- What Kaskade’s billboard would say (and where it would be). [30:42]
- Sekou Andrews shows how to take a “soul selfie.” [32:22]
- Do you live what you love and love incorrigibly? Do you sleep well, but go to bed horribly? [36:05]
- Sekou talks about the science of miracles and the mathematics of purpose. [37:35]
- “I am not perfect. I’m perfect like I am.” [38:01]
- Sekou on celebration. [38:41]
- Sekou’s perfect day. [39:36]
- How Sekou stays positive in the face of adversity. [41:00]
- Sekou’s most powerful lessons. [41:29]
- Sekou on paper-cutting despair “one positive affirmation at a time.” [44:12]
- Where Sekou finds his inspiration. [46:18]
Posted on: February 24, 2016.
Please check out Tribe of Mentors, my newest book, which shares short, tactical life advice from 100+ world-class performers. Many of the world's most famous entrepreneurs, athletes, investors, poker players, and artists are part of the book. The tips and strategies in Tribe of Mentors have already changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for a sample chapter and full details. Roughly 90% of the guests have never appeared on my podcast.
Who was interviewed? Here's a very partial list: tech icons (founders of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Craigslist, Pinterest, Spotify, Salesforce, Dropbox, and more), Jimmy Fallon, Arianna Huffington, Brandon Stanton (Humans of New York), Lord Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ben Stiller, Maurice Ashley (first African-American Grandmaster of chess), Brené Brown (researcher and bestselling author), Rick Rubin (legendary music producer), Temple Grandin (animal behavior expert and autism activist), Franklin Leonard (The Black List), Dara Torres (12-time Olympic medalist in swimming), David Lynch (director), Kelly Slater (surfing legend), Bozoma Saint John (Beats/Apple/Uber), Lewis Cantley (famed cancer researcher), Maria Sharapova, Chris Anderson (curator of TED), Terry Crews, Greg Norman (golf icon), Vitalik Buterin (creator of Ethereum), and nearly 100 more. Check it all out by clicking here.