“Be useful.” – Scott Adams
Scott Adams (@scottadamssays) is the creator of the Dilbert comic strip, which has been published in more than 2,000 newspapers in 57 countries and in 19 languages.
In my conversation with Scott, we cover topics ranging from the rise of Dilbert, to how he uses affirmations to impact stock market decisions, success with women, and building his career.
We also talk about Scott’s interest in hypnosis and its relationship to his writing process. Plus, we dive into his current fascination with Donald Trump.
You’ll also find out more about:
- Goals vs. systems, and how he has used the latter to get what he wants in life
- His first ever Dilbert paycheck
- The six dimensions of humor
- How he got into the best shape of his life at age 58, and much, much more.
It is a really fun conversation. Scott is one hell of a character and a hilarious guy.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear a podcast related to creativity? — Listen to my conversation with Ed Catmull, who is President and Co-Founder of Pixar and author of Creativity, Inc. Stream this episode below or right-click here to download:
This podcast is brought to you by Vimeo Pro, which is the ideal video hosting platform for entrepreneurs. In fact, a bunch of my start-ups are already using Vimeo Pro. WealthFront uses it to explain how WealthFront works. TaskRabbit uses it to tell the company’s story. There are many other names who you would recognize among their customers (AirBnB, Etsy, etc.) Why do they use it? Vimeo Pro provides enterprise level video hosting for a fraction of the usual cost. Features include:
- Gorgeous high-quality playback with no ads
- Up to 20 GB of video storage every week
- Unlimited plays and views
- A fully customizable video player, which can include your company logo, custom outro, and more
You get all this for just $199 per year (that’s only $17 per/mo.). There are no complicated bandwidth calculations or hidden fees. Try it risk-free for 30 days. Just go to Vimeo.com/business to check it out. If you like it, you can use the promo code “Tim” to get 25% off. This is a special discount just for you guys.
This episode is also sponsored by 99Designs, the world’s largest marketplace of graphic designers. Did you know I used 99Designs to rapid prototype the cover for The 4-Hour Body? Here are some of the impressive results. Click this link and get a free $99 upgrade. Give it a test run…
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What is your biggest struggle with the creative process? Which experts would you like me to interview about their methods? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- More information about the reticular activation system
- The Luck Factor by Richard Wiseman
- The definition of selective memory
- Judo foot sweeps
- Neuro-linguistic programming (NLP)
- Scott’s blog on The iPhone 4 “High Ground Maneuver“
- The tools Scott uses to draw his cartoons:
- Scott’s blog post on the 6 elements of humor
- Other cartoons
- Background on the condition of spasmodic dysphonia.
- Influence by Robert B. Cialdini
- How To Stop Worrying And Start Living by Dale Carnegie
- Scott’s book God’s Debris
- Connect with Scott:
- How Scott started using affirmations [08:45]
- The beginning stages of Scott’s journey as a cartoonist [20:45]
- The process Scott uses to create his affirmations and the reasons they work [22:39]
- How God’s Debris came about [32:01]
- How Scott incorporates hypnosis into his life [35:25]
- Scott’s first hypnosis experience and why he started [39:15]
- Scott’s definition of hypnosis [45:50]
- How writing has helped his practice of hypnosis [48:41]
- Hypnosis, NLP, and Donald Trump [51:00]
- How the way Trump phrases his statements help him in the media [59:43]
- Scott’s view on goals vs. systems, and why each approach can work [1:02:39]
- Scott’s practical approach to dieting [1:12:29]
- The first time Scott was paid for Dilbert, his ‘day job,’ and where his first ideas came from [1:18:27]
- How he came up with the name Dogbert [1:21:51]
- The aspects of Dilbert that have changed over time and what the characters mean to Scott [1:23:07]
- Scott’s techniques to help Dilbert succeed and gain a competitive advantage over other cartoon strips [1:24:31]
- The tools and routines Scott uses to get in the creative mood [1:30:42]
- Scott’s morning routine [1:34:09]
- Scott’s six elements of humor [1:37:26]
- Other cartoons Scott respects and reads [1:41:26]
- How Scott got his voice back after identifying he had spasmodic dysphonia [1:42:36]
- The book Scott would recommend everyone read [1:51:30]
- When Scott thinks of the word “successful,” who is the first person that comes to mind? [1:58:58]
- The advice Scott would give his 30-year old self [2:01:54]
- Richard Wiseman
- Milton Erickson
- John Grinder
- Tony Robbins
- Steve Jobs
- James Altucher
- Donald Trump
- Bill Gates
Posted on: September 22, 2015.
Please check out Tribe of Mentors, my newest book, which shares short, tactical life advice from 100+ world-class performers. Many of the world's most famous entrepreneurs, athletes, investors, poker players, and artists are part of the book. The tips and strategies in Tribe of Mentors have already changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for a sample chapter and full details. Roughly 90% of the guests have never appeared on my podcast.
Who was interviewed? Here's a very partial list: tech icons (founders of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Craigslist, Pinterest, Spotify, Salesforce, Dropbox, and more), Jimmy Fallon, Arianna Huffington, Brandon Stanton (Humans of New York), Lord Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ben Stiller, Maurice Ashley (first African-American Grandmaster of chess), Brené Brown (researcher and bestselling author), Rick Rubin (legendary music producer), Temple Grandin (animal behavior expert and autism activist), Franklin Leonard (The Black List), Dara Torres (12-time Olympic medalist in swimming), David Lynch (director), Kelly Slater (surfing legend), Bozoma Saint John (Beats/Apple/Uber), Lewis Cantley (famed cancer researcher), Maria Sharapova, Chris Anderson (curator of TED), Terry Crews, Greg Norman (golf icon), Vitalik Buterin (creator of Ethereum), and nearly 100 more. Check it all out by clicking here.