James Cameron is writer and director of Avatar ($2.7 billion grossed), The Terminator, Aliens, and Titanic, among other blockbusters and genre-defining films.
On October 9th, James Cameron, Jim Gianopoulos (Fox Films Chairman/CEO), Peter Diamandis (X PRIZE Foundation Founder and Chairman), Tim Ferriss (that’s me), and a select group of others will experience zero gravity. And you could be with us…
I have one extra ticket (one seat), and I’m auctioning it off this week, starting now. 100% of the proceeds will go to the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital:
The mission of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is to find cures for children with catastrophic illnesses through research and treatment. Children are treated without regard to a family’s ability to pay. St. Jude covers all costs not covered by insurance for medical treatment rendered at St. Jude. Families without insurance do not pay. St. Jude freely shares research findings with doctors and scientists around the world.
The auction is here and ends at 8pm PDT this Saturday, Sept. 25. Not interested in an auction? No problem. There is a “buy it now” option for the first person to grab it.
[UPDATE: The seat sold for the “buy it now” $20,000 within 24 hours. Incredible thanks to M.L.! $20,000 will do a tremendous amount of good at St. Jude.]
This once-in-a-lifetime experience, which will last about 8 hours, includes:
• VIP lunch reception with lecture from James Cameron discussing Avatar, Zero Gravity Corporation (ZERO-G), and humanity’s future in space.
• Pre-flight training to maximize your ZERO-G Flight Experience. This will include an orientation video, a chance for you to meet the group joining the flight, and a chance to ask questions and learn about the science behind ZERO-G.
• 90-minute flight of approximately 15 parabolas including Lunar gravity (one sixth your weight), Martian gravity (one third your weight), and Zero gravity (weightlessness). You will experience approximately eight minutes of weightlessness, which is about as much zero-gravity time Alan Shepard experienced on America’s first human spaceflight.
• Your very own ZERO-G flight suit, which is yours to keep.
• Personal in-flight photography and video of you floating with James Cameron.
• Post-flight photo with James Cameron and X PRIZE chairman Peter Diamandis.
• Special Avatar gift bag from Twentieth Century Fox.
The flight is identical to those used by NASA to train its astronauts, and you will be able to fly like Superman or flip like an Olympic gymnast.
Martha Stewart, Ozzy Osbourne and Stephen Hawking are just a few notable passengers who have flown with ZERO-G and proclaimed it to be one of the most thrilling experiences of their lives.
Please note: This is a non-refundable ticket for the XPRIZE Charter flight only. ZERO-G cannot issue a credit or certificate for a future flight should the purchaser be unable to fly on the XPRIZE flight.
Posted on: September 22, 2010.
Please check out Tribe of Mentors, my newest book, which shares short, tactical life advice from 100+ world-class performers. Many of the world's most famous entrepreneurs, athletes, investors, poker players, and artists are part of the book. The tips and strategies in Tribe of Mentors have already changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for a sample chapter and full details. Roughly 90% of the guests have never appeared on my podcast.
Who was interviewed? Here's a very partial list: tech icons (founders of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Craigslist, Pinterest, Spotify, Salesforce, Dropbox, and more), Jimmy Fallon, Arianna Huffington, Brandon Stanton (Humans of New York), Lord Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ben Stiller, Maurice Ashley (first African-American Grandmaster of chess), Brené Brown (researcher and bestselling author), Rick Rubin (legendary music producer), Temple Grandin (animal behavior expert and autism activist), Franklin Leonard (The Black List), Dara Torres (12-time Olympic medalist in swimming), David Lynch (director), Kelly Slater (surfing legend), Bozoma Saint John (Beats/Apple/Uber), Lewis Cantley (famed cancer researcher), Maria Sharapova, Chris Anderson (curator of TED), Terry Crews, Greg Norman (golf icon), Vitalik Buterin (creator of Ethereum), and nearly 100 more. Check it all out by clicking here.