“We spend far too much time complaining about the way things are and forget that we have the power to change anything and everything.”
– Bozoma Saint John
Bozoma Saint John (@badassboz) is the Chief Brand Officer at Uber. Until June 2017, she was a marketing executive at Apple Music after joining the company in its acquisition of Beats Music.
Bozoma was featured in Tribe of Mentors, but this conversation covers topics that go far beyond what was covered in the book. Enjoy!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear a conversation with a mentor from Tribe of Mentors? Listen to this episode with Terry Crews, in which we discuss his workout and diet routine, overcoming failure, discovering happiness, and much much more. Listen to it here (stream below or right-click to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Peloton, which has become a staple of my daily routine. I picked up this bike after seeing the success of my friend Kevin Rose, and I’ve been enjoying it more than I ever imagined. Peloton is an indoor cycling bike that brings live studio classes right to your home. No worrying about fitting classes into your busy schedule or making it to a studio with a crazy commute.
New classes are added every day, and this includes options led by elite NYC instructors in your own living room. You can even live stream studio classes taught by the world’s best instructors, or find your favorite class on demand.
Peloton is offering listeners to this show a special offer. Visit onepeloton.com and enter the code “TIM” at checkout to receive $100 off accessories with your Peloton bike purchase. This is a great way to get in your workouts or an incredible gift. Again, that’s onepeloton.com and enter the code TIM.
This podcast is also brought to you by Helix Sleep. I recently moved into a new home and needed new beds, and I purchased mattresses from Helix Sleep.
It offers mattresses personalized to your preferences and sleeping style — without costing thousands of dollars. Visit Helixsleep.com/TIM and take the simple 2-3 minute sleep quiz to get started, and Helix Sleep will build a mattress you’ll love.
Its customer service makes all the difference. The mattress arrives within a week, and the shipping is completely free. You can try the mattress for 100 nights, and if you’re not happy, the company will pick it up and offer a full refund. To personalize your sleep experience, visit Helixsleep.com/TIM and you’ll receive $50 off your custom mattress. Enjoy!
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Bozoma Saint John:
- Bozoma’s pinned Nietzsche tweet
- Is This the Woman Who Will Save Uber? by Sheila Marikar, The New York Times
- Harlem’s Floridita
- Ashley Stewart
- Beats Music
- The Defiant Ones
- Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
- DDB Worldwide
- Uber’s Bozoma Saint John Says She Should Have Ignored This Career Advice from a Female Executive by Courtney Connley, CNBC
- Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
- Ain’t 2 Proud 2 Beg by TLC
- Introducing this year’s most-requested guest. [06:46]
- Why is Bozoma’s currently pinned tweet a Nietzsche quote? [07:38]
- Bozoma’s journey from the US to Africa and back to the US. [10:25]
- Why did Bozoma’s family wind up in Colorado, and what were her takeaways from this time in her life? [12:00]
- How did Bozoma develop the ability to pursue goals so boldly, and does it run in the family? [17:09]
- What was Bozoma’s parents’ reaction when she lost her race for student council? [19:18]
- How did Bozoma manage to bring Jay-Z to her university? [22:04]
- How did Bozoma lobby her parents for a year-long sabbatical from medical school, and what were her plans for that time? [27:50]
- Armed with smarts and hustle, here’s how Bozoma got by without money or parental financial support. [32:49]
- What happened when Spike Lee asked Bozoma to read an early draft of Bamboozled while she was answering phones at his ad agency. [39:11]
- Critical decisions that forged Bozoma’s career. [43:43]
- Why did Bozoma fail at her first attempt at helping run a company in the fashion world? [48:46]
- Bozoma talks about coping with her husband’s terminal cancer diagnosis. [50:50]
- How Bozoma got involved in Beats Music. [54:29]
- Why has Toni Morrison’s Song of Solomon had such an impact on Bozoma’s life? [57:19]
- What helped Bozoma through the grieving process after losing her husband? [1:01:20]
- What has helped Bozoma overcome feelings of anger and learn self-forgiveness? [1:05:26]
- Elaborating on a policy of not making pro and con lists — and being sure to listen to what instinct is trying to tell us. [1:11:42]
- Worst career advice encountered, and people who inspire Bozoma to live more boldly. [1:17:03]
- In what way does Bozoma find Arianna Huffington particularly inspiring? [1:22:00]
- How did Bozoma know Uber was the next stop on her journey — and what’s more important than saving its brand? [1:25:23]
- How would Bozoma encourage people to be positive but constructively dissenting against what we see wrong in our society at the moment? [1:28:34]
- Final words and asks of the audience. [1:35:32]
- Friedrich Nietzsche
- Tupac Shakur
- Spike Lee
- Naval Ravikant
- Jimmy Iovine
- Dr. Dre
- Toni Morrison
- Kris Jenner
- Arianna Huffington
- Agapi Stassinopoulos
- Maya Angelou
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Posted on: December 27, 2017.
Please check out Tribe of Mentors, my newest book, which shares short, tactical life advice from 100+ world-class performers. Many of the world's most famous entrepreneurs, athletes, investors, poker players, and artists are part of the book. The tips and strategies in Tribe of Mentors have already changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for a sample chapter and full details. Roughly 90% of the guests have never appeared on my podcast.
Who was interviewed? Here's a very partial list: tech icons (founders of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Craigslist, Pinterest, Spotify, Salesforce, Dropbox, and more), Jimmy Fallon, Arianna Huffington, Brandon Stanton (Humans of New York), Lord Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ben Stiller, Maurice Ashley (first African-American Grandmaster of chess), Brené Brown (researcher and bestselling author), Rick Rubin (legendary music producer), Temple Grandin (animal behavior expert and autism activist), Franklin Leonard (The Black List), Dara Torres (12-time Olympic medalist in swimming), David Lynch (director), Kelly Slater (surfing legend), Bozoma Saint John (Beats/Apple/Uber), Lewis Cantley (famed cancer researcher), Maria Sharapova, Chris Anderson (curator of TED), Terry Crews, Greg Norman (golf icon), Vitalik Buterin (creator of Ethereum), and nearly 100 more. Check it all out by clicking here.