“Be easy. Life is good.”
– Jason Khalipa
Jason Khalipa (@jasonkhalipa IG, Twitter) is one of the fittest men in the world – a title that was officially his when he won the CrossFit Games in 2008. He is an 8-time CrossFit Games competitor, a 3-time Team USA CrossFit member, and — among other athletic feats — he has deadlifted 550 pounds, squatted 450 pounds, and performed 64 pullups at a bodyweight of 210 pounds.
This podcast also has a bunch of video bonuses and tutorials from Jason, which you can find at youtube.com/timferriss.
Beyond sports, Jason is also a successful entrepreneur. He is the founder and CEO of NC Fit, which has more than 20 locations in 8 different cities. And he is the co-founder of “Box to Business,” a non-profit that helps gyms become profitable businesses. Jason uses the proceeds from “Box to Business” to help fight pediatric cancer.
In this episode, we cover a lot of cool stuff, including:
- His training and diet
- The hardest workouts he’s ever performed
- The mentor who taught him how to sell anything
- How he and his family has coped with his daughter’s battle with cancer
- How he’s navigated going from competitive athlete to business owner
- And much, much more
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another episode about building muscle and strength? — Listen to this interview with Charles Poliquin. In this episode, we discuss, muscle-building techniques, how to become stronger, warmup routines, why people struggle to lose fat, and more (stream below or right-click here to download):
This episode is brought to you by Inktel. Ever since I wrote The 4-Hour Workweek, I’ve been frequently asked about how I choose to delegate tasks. At the root of many of my decisions is a simple question: “How can I invest money to improve my quality of life?” Or “how can I spend moderate money to save significant time?”
Inktel is one of those investments. They are a turnkey solution for all of your customer care needs. Their team answers more than 1 million customer service requests each year. They can also interact with your customers across all platforms, including email, phone, social media, text, and chat.
Inktel removes the logistics and headache of customer communication, allowing you to grow your business by focusing on your strengths. And as a listener of this podcast, you can get up to $10,000 off your start-up fees and costs waived by visiting inktel.com/tim. That’s inktel.com/tim.
This episode is also brought to you by LegalZoom. I’ve used this service for many of my businesses, as have quite a few of the icons on this podcast — such as Automattic CEO Matt Mullenweg of WordPress fame.
LegalZoom is a reliable resource that more than a million people have already trusted for everything from setting up wills, proper trademark searches, forming LLCs, setting up non-profits, or finding simple cease-and-desist letter templates.
LegalZoom is not a law firm, but it does have a network of independent attorneys available in most states who can give you advice on the best way to get started, provide contract reviews, and otherwise help you run your business with complete transparency and up-front pricing. Check out LegalZoom.com and enter promo code TIM at checkout today to save 15% and see how the fine folks there can make life easier for you and your business.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Jason Khalipa:
- CrossFit Games
- 2008 CrossFit Games
- CrossFit WOD: Fran by Will Lanier, Men’s Fitness
- “Fight Gone Bad” CrossFit WOD Demo via WODwell
- RISE Challenge via NC Fit
- Jason Khalipa Teaching a Basic Snatch
- Thoracic Extension with Kelly Starrett via MobilityWOD
- How to Win at the Sport of Business: If I Can Do It, You Can Do It by Mark Cuban
- CrossFit Star Faces Daughter’s Leukemia by Using His Celebrity Status for Greater Good by Stacy Finz, Lucille Packard Children’s Hospital
- The AMRAP Mentality by Jason Khalipa
- AMRAP Mindset with Jason Khalipa
- Western Digital
- What did Jason have for breakfast today? [02:04]
- What were the advantages Jason had (at his peak) for standing out in CrossFit? [03:18]
- Tests Jason would use to gauge a CrossFit beginner’s fitness. [05:12]
- What is a “fight gone bad” workout? [05:56]
- What advice would Jason give to an accomplished athlete who wants to start their own gym or fitness line? [11:25]
- Most important decisions Jason made when preparing to start his business. [13:26]
- How did Jason initially get his mentor to spend time with him? [15:20]
- What was Jason’s “why” when he began competing in the CrossFit Games? [16:04]
- What triggered Jason’s course correction from slacking class clown to driven fitness magnate? [18:08]
- How might one of Jason’s NC Fit coaches create a new CrossFit program? [22:13]
- How does Jason safely introduce Olympic lifting in a CrossFit beginner’s routine? [24:05]
- Advice for someone entering CrossFit with bad thoracic mobility. [25:07]
- How did Jason build his aerobic capacity with Chris Hinshaw without sacrificing his size or strength? [26:10]
- What did Jason’s nutrition look like at the peak of his training? Did he have any go-to supplements? [27:34]
- What does Jason picture his workout to be when he hits sixty? [29:21]
- Where does Jason see room for improvement in his own routine now? [30:08]
- Jason talks about the components of a good marriage, and how his daughter Ava’s leukemia diagnosis has affected the family. [31:13]
- What practices and routines help Jason’s family through Ava’s treatment? [35:36]
- Advice for parents receiving such a diagnosis for their child. [37:03]
- What is the AMRAP mentality? [38:26]
- Jason explains his goals for operating a service-based fitness business. [42:37]
- What advice would Jason give his 2008 CrossFit Games champion self? [43:39]
- How does Jason quantify balance in his work and personal life? [44:52]
- Favorite book. [46:55]
- Morning rituals and daily routines. [47:27]
- Wearing so many hats, does Jason ever have difficulty sleeping? [49:43]
- Does Jason have any wind-down routines or bedtime rituals? [50:35]
- Who does Jason go to for business advice? [51:07]
- What makes a good salesperson? [53:06]
- What does a good “smile and dial” sales call sound like for Jason? [54:10]
- What kind of facility tour translates into a sale? [54:53]
- What would Jason’s billboard say? [56:24]
- B.J. Penn
- Greg Glassman
- Ralph Gracie
- Kelly Starrett
- Chris Hinshaw
- Mark Cuban
- Ava Khalipa
- Ashley Khalipa
- Paul Gomez
- Mike Cordano
- Jerry Kagele
- Joe Gigantino
- Jarett Perelmutter
- Mark Bell
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 900 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.