Now, on to our guest…
James Altucher is an American hedge fund manager, entrepreneur, and bestselling author. He has founded or co-founded more than 20 companies, including Reset Inc. and StockPickr. 17 have failed, and 3 have made him tens of millions. He has published 11 books, the newest of which is The Power of No.
Join us in a conversation about just about everything, including: how to say “no” to requests, how to learn from failure, and how to build businesses. More in the show notes below.
For those who enjoy reading, here is the full transcript.
If you have a second, please leave me an honest rating and review on iTunes by clicking here. It will help the show tremendously, including my ability to bring on more incredible guests. Thanks!
Show Notes and Select Links from Episode 17…
- Why James almost ended up homeless after making millions
- How a daily routine can mitigate risk
- The “1% goal” that changes his life drastically every 6 months
- Why he considers news media to be “junk food,” and what he reads instead
- Why and how his writing exploded in popularity
- How “being vulnerable” on his blog almost permanently damaged James’s relationship with his daughter
- The myth of “job security,” and how to chart your own path
- And much more…
LINKS FROM EPISODE 17
- Visit the Tim Ferriss Book Club to find a new book each month (or so) that has changed my life
- Seth Godin’s blog
- The Bloggess
- David Thorne’s Blog
- Read my blog post: “Productivity” Tricks for the Neurotic, Manic-Depressive, and Crazy (Like Me)
- Learn more about High on Crack Street: Lost Lives in Lowell
- The transportation network company that’s taking the world by storm (100+ cities and counting): www.Uber.com
- Learn more about Oingo – James’s worst venture capital decision
- Learn more about Hoop Dreams
- Jerry Seinfeld Documentary: Comedian
- Maria Popova’s blog
- Read Tucker Max’s stories
- James Altucher’s blog
- James Altucher on Twitter: @jaltucher
- The James Altucher Show Podcast
- Ask Altucher Daily Podcast
Books Mentioned in the Episode
- Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
- Brain Rules: 12 Principles for Surviving and Thriving at Work, Home, and School by John Medina
- The Power of No: Because One Little Word Can Bring Health, Abundance, and Happiness by James Altucher
- Choose Yourself! by James Altucher
- Dynamic Hedging: Managing Vanilla and Exotic Options by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- The Black Swan: Second Edition: The Impact of the Highly Improbable: With a new section: “On Robustness and Fragility” by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
- Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell
- Losing My Virginity: How I Survived, Had Fun, and Made a Fortune Doing Business My Way by Richard Branson
- Jesus’ Son: Stories by Denis Johnson
- Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
Other Authors Mentioned in the Episode
- Books by Ernest Hemingway
- Books by Stephen J. Dubner
- Stories and books by Raymond Carver
- Stories and books by Denis Johnson
- Stories and books by Amy Hempel
Posted on: July 11, 2014.
Please check out Tribe of Mentors, my newest book, which shares short, tactical life advice from 100+ world-class performers. Many of the world's most famous entrepreneurs, athletes, investors, poker players, and artists are part of the book. The tips and strategies in Tribe of Mentors have already changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for a sample chapter and full details. Roughly 90% of the guests have never appeared on my podcast.
Who was interviewed? Here's a very partial list: tech icons (founders of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Craigslist, Pinterest, Spotify, Salesforce, Dropbox, and more), Jimmy Fallon, Arianna Huffington, Brandon Stanton (Humans of New York), Lord Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ben Stiller, Maurice Ashley (first African-American Grandmaster of chess), Brené Brown (researcher and bestselling author), Rick Rubin (legendary music producer), Temple Grandin (animal behavior expert and autism activist), Franklin Leonard (The Black List), Dara Torres (12-time Olympic medalist in swimming), David Lynch (director), Kelly Slater (surfing legend), Bozoma Saint John (Beats/Apple/Uber), Lewis Cantley (famed cancer researcher), Maria Sharapova, Chris Anderson (curator of TED), Terry Crews, Greg Norman (golf icon), Vitalik Buterin (creator of Ethereum), and nearly 100 more. Check it all out by clicking here.