Shay Carl (@shaycarl) got his first computer at age 27.
He was a manual laborer for ages and uploaded his first YouTube video while on break from a granite counter top job.
Flash forward to today:
- His SHAYTARDS channel now has roughly 2.3 BILLION views. Celebs like Steven Spielberg have appeared alongside Shay and his family.
- He co-founded Maker Studios, which sold to Disney for nearly $1 billion.
- He has been married 13 years and has 5 kids.
- He has lost more than 100 pounds since his overweight peak.
Shay came to San Francisco to spend 2 days with me, we did a bunch of weird shit together (a lot of firsts for Shay), and we covered a ton, including:
- The most important decisions and inflection points in his life
- Tools of the trade and tips for creating on YouTube
- Favorite books, quotes, etc. that he lives by
- Stories he’s never shared anywhere before
- And much, much more
If you only have 5 minutes, listen to Shay’s thoughts on the decisions that helped Maker Studios become a massive success.
And here is the pic of his hilarious driver’s license that we mention a few times 🙂
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another podcast related to YouTube stardom? — Listen to my conversation with Casey Neistat. In this episode, we discuss how one renegade filmmaker breaks rules, reinvents himself, and gets thanked for it (stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Wealthfront. Wealthfront is a massively disruptive (in a good way) set-it-and-forget-it investing service led by technologists from places like Apple. It has exploded in popularity in the last two years and now has more than $2.5B under management. Why? Because you can get services previously limited to the ultra-wealthy and only pay pennies on the dollar for them, and it’s all through smarter software instead of retail locations and bloated sales teams.
Check out wealthfront.com/tim, take their risk assessment quiz, which only takes 2-5 minutes, and they’ll show you — for free — exactly the portfolio they’d put you in. If you want to just take their advice and do it yourself, you can. Well worth a few minutes to explore: wealthfront.com/tim.
This podcast is also brought to you by Born Fitness Coaching. Born Fitness Coaching offers concierge coaching, a 3:1 coach-to-client model that is customized to your needs, goals, and preferences. That means you receive unlimited interaction and coaching with one certified coach for diet, one for fitness, and one to keep track of all the rest (lifestyle, accountability, and consistency.)
Born Fitness Coaching is offering a special coaching experience based on the principles of The 4-Hour Body. You guys have asked me for this, and this is why I partnered with them for this offer. There are only 100 spots available because I insisted that quality never drops. Each Tim Ferriss Show listener receives $100 off per month. For full details, please visit BornFitness.com/tim.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Shay Carl:
- Shay Carl’s Instagram video with Joe Biden
- As a Man Thinketh by James Allen
- Watch the first episode of SHAYTARDS
- Watch Shay Carl’s first YouTube video or the leotard video
- Check out Philip DeFranco’s YouTube channel
- Check out Kassem G’s YouTube channel
- Watch Amy Cuddy’s TED talk on body language and happiness
- Check out Shay’s driver’s license (Don’t be alarmed by the video title. See 3:16 in the video.)
- Listen to my podcast with Tony Robbins on priming
- Learn more about Maker Studios
- Shay Carl’s clothing company, Trixin
- Join a diet betting pool to win or lose money with DietBet.com
- Shay Carl’s vlogging equipment:
- My simple podcasting equipment:
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie
- Shay Carl’s favorite podcasts:
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
- Looking for Alaska by John Green
- Learn more about Hank and John Green on their YouTube channel, the vlogbrothers
- A Facebook page focused on cutting-edge technology – Hashem Al-Ghaili
- Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University
- The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- Read Chapter 2 of the Book of Mormon, The Book of Alma (Some commenters have pointed out that it might be Alma Chapter 32 (specifically versus 26 – 43))
- Interested in immortality? Check out Transcendent Man with Ray Kurzweil
- Want to learn about vlogging? Check out Vlogumentary
- Captain Fantastic with Viggo Mortensen
- Check out Boosted Board – Shay Carl’s favorite electric skateboard
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey
- Use SocialBlueBook.com, a tool for influencers to find their value
- Shay Carl’s origin story [11:05]
- On growing up a Mormon [13:33]
- What Shay looked for in a mentor [23:11]
- On near death experiences [31:17]
- On the duration between starting and experiencing success as a YouTuber [34:21]
- How Shay got his first gig in entertainment [39:11]
- How daily vlogging helps Shay choose to be happy each day [43:09]
- A funny story about great driver license photographs [46:07]
- When did Shay Carl realize daily vlogging could be more than a hobby? [50:07]
- From grocery money to mortgage money on YouTube [52:55]
- The day Shay Carl decided to drop out of college [57:41]
- How Shay Carl defines success, and who is the first person who comes to mind when you hear the word “success?” [1:04:27]
- Thoughts on how physical tranformation impacts your mental state [1:10:08]
- Discussing alcohol abuse [1:12:57]
- Important decisions that allowed Maker Studios to succeed [1:36:00]
- The story behind Trixin Clothing [1:51:03]
- Suggestions for someone interested in vlogging [1:56:42]
- Shay Carl’s vlogging camera equipment and editing software [2:16:02]
- Favorite motivational quotes [2:22:12]
- Fatherhood tips for first-time dads [2:23:25]
- Favorite podcasts and audiobooks [2:29:08]
- Most gifted books [2:33:34]
- Chapters from the Book of Mormon that can help non-believers [2:35:31]
- What purchase of $100 or less has most positively effected your life [2:41:35]
- Morning rituals [2:45:30]
- If you could put anything on a billboard, where would it be and what would it say? [2:47:19]
- Families are forever [2:48:08]
- Advice to your 25-year-old self [2:51:05]
- Philip DeFranco
- Kassem G
- Danny ‘Diamond’ Zappin
- Lisa Donovan
- Casey Neistat
- John & Hank Green
- Ray Kurzweil
- Morgan Spurlock
- Matt Mullenweg
- Eric Weinstein
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 500 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.