Technologist, serial entrepreneur, world-class investor, self-experimenter, and all-around wild and crazy guy Kevin Rose (@KevinRose) rejoins me for another episode of The Random Show.
In this one we discuss the books that we are currently reading, outdated behaviors, healing with men’s groups, masculinity, Kevin’s new Moonbirds project (a collection of 10,000 utility-enabled PFPs), my first NFT, and much, much more.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube here.
Brought to you by Wealthfront automated investing, Ascent Protein premium protein, and Shopify global commerce platform providing tools to start, grow, market, and manage a retail business. More on all three below.
The transcript of this episode can be found here. Transcripts of all episodes can be found here.
This episode is brought to you by Wealthfront! Wealthfront is an app that helps you save and invest your money. Right now, you can earn 4.05% APY—that’s the Annual Percentage Yield—with the Wealthfront Cash Account. That’s more than twelve times more interest than if you left your money in a savings account at the average bank, according to FDIC.gov.
It takes just a few minutes to sign up, and then you’ll immediately start earning 4.05% interest on your savings. And when you open an account today, you’ll get an extra fifty-dollar bonus with a deposit of five hundred dollars or more. Visit Wealthfront.com/Tim to get started.
This episode is brought to you by Ascent Protein! Ever since I wrote The 4-Hour Body, starting my day with ~30 grams of protein has been an essential part of my routine. I’ve been using Ascent’s whey protein for the last several years, and I recently tried their new plant-based protein. I’ve experimented with many other plant-based proteins, and most compromise on taste or efficacy, but Ascent Plant Protein is delicious and provides 25 grams of protein with 4 grams of BCAAs to support muscle health.
To ensure their product tastes great, Ascent verified it with third-party consumer research, and it won on taste and texture against the market leader. What’s more, it’s made from organic, real-food sources like organic pea, pumpkin, and sunflower and contains zero artificial ingredients, artificial sweeteners, or added sugars. Visit AscentProtein.com/Tim and use the code 20TFASCENT and you’ll receive 20% off of your entire purchase. This code is valid on their website and on Amazon.com. If you want a quick dose of protein to start your day or end a workout, this is a great option and my default. Enjoy!
This episode is brought to you by Shopify! Shopify is one of my favorite platforms and one of my favorite companies. Shopify is a platform designed for anyone to sell anywhere, giving entrepreneurs the resources once reserved for big business. In no time flat, you can have a great looking online store that brings your ideas to life, and you can have the tools to manage your day-to-day and drive sales. No coding or design experience required.
More than a store, Shopify grows with you, and they never stop innovating, providing more and more tools to make your business better and your life easier. Go to Shopify.com/tim for a FREE 14-day trial and get full access to Shopify’s entire suite of features.
What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES…
Want to hear another Random Show? Listen to my last conversation with Kevin Rose, in which we discussed generative art, pet biohacking, saffron highs, bad ideas for conquering COVID, good TV for anyone passing time in convalescence, decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs), mainstream acceptance of psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy, making good decisions in the face of scientific unknowns, and much more.
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- Connect with Kevin Rose:
Website | PROOF | Modern Finance | Instagram | Twitter
- The Official PROOF PFP | Moonbirds
- Spotify Premium Duo | Spotify
- Compare Models | Tesla
- Dinty Moore Beef Stew | Amazon
- Betty Crocker Tuna Helper | Amazon
- Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper | Amazon
- Visions of Japan: Kawase Hasui’s Masterpieces by Kawase Hasui | Amazon
- Hokusai: The Great Wave That Swept the World | The Guardian
- Of Trees, Tenderness, and the Moon: Hasui Kawase’s Stunning Japanese Woodblock Prints from the 1920s-1950s | The Marginalian
- AMORALMAN: A True Story and Other Lies by Derek DelGaudio | Amazon
- Dr. Mark Plotkin on Ethnobotany, Real vs. Fake Shamans, Hallucinogens, and the Dalai Lamas of South America | The Tim Ferriss Show #469
- The Plants of the Gods Podcast with Mark J. Plotkin
- Tobacco and Shamanism in South America by Johannes Wilbert | Amazon
- Health Risks of Smokeless Tobacco | American Cancer Society
- Comprehensive Chemical Characterization of Rapé Tobacco Products: Nicotine, Un-ionized Nicotine, Tobacco-specific N’-Nitrosamines, Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons, and Flavor Constituents | Food and Chemical Toxicology
- Hamilton Morris on Iboga, 5-MeO-DMT, the Power of Ritual, New Frontiers in Psychedelics, Excellent Problems to Solve, and More | The Tim Ferriss Show #511
- Bufo Alvarius: The Psychedelic Toad of the Sonoran Desert by Ken Nelson, Expanded and Updated Edition by Hamilton Morris | Department of Information
- Tales of a Shaman’s Apprentice: An Ethnobotanist Searches for New Medicines in the Amazon Rain Forest by Mark J. Plotkin | Amazon
- Protecting the Amazon in Partnership with Indigenous and Other Local Communities | Amazon Conservation Team
- Derek DelGaudio’s In & Of Itself | Hulu
- Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr by John Crowley and Melody Newcomb | Amazon
- Little, Big by John Crowley | Amazon
- Finding the One Decision That Removes 100 Decisions (or, Why I’m Reading No New Books in 2020) | Tim Ferriss
- Aegypt by John Crowley and Grzegorz Domaradzki | Amazon
- Terry Real: Breaking the Cycle of Shame, Anger, and Depression | The Peter Attia Drive
- Fierce Intimacy by Terence Real | Amazon
- We Are Not a Men’s Group | The Spooky Men’s Chorale
- What Is Toxic Masculinity? | The New York Times
- “Current Thing” | Marc Andreessen, Twitter
- “Whenever You Find Yourself on the Side of the Majority, It Is Time to Reform (Or Pause and Reflect).” | Mark Twain Quotations
- Grails | PROOF Collective
- How to Make an NFT | The Motley Fool
- “Choose Wisely.” | Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- How to Start a War by Tim Ferriss | Grails by PROOF Collective
- More Than Just a JPEG: Breaking Down NFT Utility | Portion Blog
- Bored Apes NFT Project Gets Official ‘Apecoin’ Token | TechCrunch
- What is FUD? | Coin Rivet
- Jaws | David Yarrow, Facebook
- Warren Buffett: “Don’t Ask the Barber Whether You Need a Haircut” | CNBC
- Bluefin Tuna Sells for a Record $3.1M in Tokyo Auction | CBS News
- The 30-Day Challenge: No Booze, No Masturbating (NOBNOM) | Tim Ferriss
- Harlan Estate
- Meadowood | Visit California
- Five Tech Predictions for 2016 by Kevin Rose | Medium
- Hibiki 30 Years Old | Dekantā
- The Random Show — Biohacking, Tim’s COVID Experience, Holiday Gift Ideas, Favorite New Apps, Bad Science, Quarantine Delights, and a Small Dose of NFTs and DAOs | The Tim Ferriss Show #549
- Why Software Is Eating the World | Andreessen Horowitz
- Burning Man
- The History of SXSW | SXSW Conference & Festivals
- Chris Dixon and Naval Ravikant — The Wonders of Web3, How to Pick the Right Hill to Climb, Finding the Right Amount of Crypto Regulation, Friends with Benefits, and the Untapped Potential of NFTs | The Tim Ferriss Show #542
- Apeing | Alexandria
- Commission-Free Stock Trading & Investing App | Robinhood
- Blockchain 101: The Simplest Guide You Will Ever Read | Velotio
- Boyd Varty — The Lion Tracker’s Guide to Life | The Tim Ferriss Show #571
- What are Kevin and I stupidly frugal about? [06:15]
- Tobacco talk, Zoom group therapy, and books we’ve been reading. [10:20]
- Thoughts on men’s groups, healthy venting, the demonization of masculinity, and groupthink. [37:11]
- How my first NFT came to be, and the story behind PROOF Collective’s Grails project. [45:45]
- What’s a utility NFT, and will my NFT have utility attached to it? While a great idea in theory, what problems might arise over the lifetime of a utility NFT? How is the PROOF Collective trying to alleviate such problems? [52:30]
- Can FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) be a good thing in the NFT world? [59:29]
- The difficulties presented by trying to serve a massive audience on a reasonable budget, and how PROOF Collective’s new PFP project, Moonbirds, will try to do it right. [1:03:15]
- Could an NFT project get me canceled? Perhaps someday we’ll see. [1:06:15]
- Is Harlan Estate the Moonbirds of wine, or is Moonbirds the Harlan Estate of NFTs? Kevin explains why he’s particularly excited about the possibilities of Web3 — and why Adam Gazzaley owes him a bottle of Hibiki 30. [1:08:43]
- “Apeing” into position while mitigating downside when opportunity seems to be knocking. [1:12:52]
- Why Kevin believes now is the time to get a foundational understanding of how blockchains and NFTs work even if you don’t have big money to spend in the game. [1:16:57]
- Don’t want to mingle with people at a conference? Tell them this. [1:17:37]
- Parting thoughts. [1:20:05]
- Hasui Kawase
- Katsushika Hokusai
- Maria Popova
- Mark Plotkin
- Kenneth Nelson
- Richard Evans Schultes
- Derek DelGaudio
- John Crowley
- Peter Attia
- Terry Real
- Darya Rose
- Marc Andreessen
- Mark Twain
- Abraham Lincoln
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Groucho Marx
- Mae West
- Warren Buffett
- Bill and Will Harlan
- Adam Gazzaley
- Chris Dixon
- Naval Ravikant
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 900 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.
Comment Rules: Remember what Fonzie was like? Cool. That’s how we’re gonna be — cool. Critical is fine, but if you’re rude, we’ll delete your stuff. Please do not put your URL in the comment text and please use your PERSONAL name or initials and not your business name, as the latter comes off like spam. Have fun and thanks for adding to the conversation! (Thanks to Brian Oberkirch for the inspiration.)
6 Replies to “The Random Show with Kevin Rose — Current Books, Men’s Groups, Tuna Helper, the Latest in NFTs, Fierce Intimacy, and More (#586)”
Just finished tools for Titans and have an amazing idea that would greatly reduce suicide. I’m an entrepreneur myself and am in the middle of trying to manage multiple business myself or I’d see it through. 2 minutes (120 seconds) of your time will definitely save lives. Hope you get this.
For anyone interested in animal communication and sound healing :
Cymatics is the study of the relationship between geometric patterns which emit frequencies that are formed by sound vibrations and how these sound waves can directly influence and create forms in physical matter.
Dolphins produce sound waves that coincide with the Schumann Resonance Frequency of 7.83 Hz (Earth’s natural heartbeat rhythm). According to the AquaThought Foundation, human contact with dolphins induces both alpha brain state and hemispheric synchronization in the brain.
Samples of blood were analysed before and after the (dolphin) therapy, results showed that after swimming with dolphins there is a change of hormones, endorphins and enzymes as well as T-cells, how this is possible is still not well understood.
The Monroe Institute has a Dolphin Energy Club to request energy healing frequencies be sent to a loved one :
After 3-4 years of (almost religiously) listening to your podcast, I am finally reading The Four Hour Chef. Reading your deconstruction questions in the “meta” section, most of which I’ve heard you ask some form of on the podcast, helped me think of one that I was excited to share (even though I’m a decade late!).
This question would fall under the interviewing high performers genre. Here goes: When you did or accomplished X, would the people who knew you best growing up have been like, “oh, that makes total sense,” or would they have been super surprised? Why?
I like this question because it tries to get at a more elusive question, “In what ways did you have to change to become the high performer you are today?” which feels far too general to ask/answer. Anyway, wanted to share a question with the person who inspired me to ask better questions. Thank you for being you, Tim.
As a long time listener from outside of the US, I have to say that it’s very frustrating to be hearing ads all the time and when I am ever interested in something, it doesn’t ship to my country. It already happened with Magic Spoon, and now with Ascent Protein. I’m not sure how many of the other sponsors have the same problem, but I have to guess more than one.
I was one of the people who joined as a backer when you did the experiment to move the podcast to a supporter-backed model, because I hate ads. Now that I’m realizing that ads are only for US customers, they make even less sense to me. I have to imagine a lot of people are listening to this outside of the US.
Great to see the two of you back together! I wish you’d do it more often. I’ve now listened to at least 3 episodes with the dynamic duo.
Regarding animal communication, I highly recommend you check out Anna Breytenbach.
Inspired by the short doc about her, I took a workshop with Anna and Jon Young: “Interspecies Communication and Intuitive Tracking.” Jon Young is a tracker, author, speaker, and major leader in the nature connection movement, mentoring people in deep nature connection and cultural repair and change. He himself has had many notable mentors, including Tom Brown. I have spent time with Jon Young connecting with San Bushmen in the Kalahari desert and would love to talk more with you about tracking and nature connection.
With gratitude for this discussion,