Technologist, serial entrepreneur, world-class investor, self-experimenter, and all-around wild and crazy guy Kevin Rose (@KevinRose) rejoins me for another episode of The Random Show.
In this one we discuss the books that we are currently reading, outdated behaviors, healing with men’s groups, masculinity, Kevin’s new Moonbirds project (a collection of 10,000 utility-enabled PFPs), my first NFT, and much, much more.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Overcast, Podcast Addict, Pocket Casts, Stitcher, Castbox, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, or on your favorite podcast platform. You can watch the interview on YouTube here.
Brought to you by Wealthfront automated investing, Ascent Protein premium protein, and Shopify global commerce platform providing tools to start, grow, market, and manage a retail business. More on all three below.
This episode is brought to you by Wealthfront! Wealthfront pioneered the automated investing movement, sometimes referred to as ‘robo-advising,’ and they currently oversee $28 billion of assets for their clients. It takes about three minutes to sign up, and then Wealthfront will build you a globally diversified portfolio of ETFs based on your risk appetite and manage it for you at an incredibly low cost.
Smart investing should not feel like a rollercoaster ride. Let the professionals do the work for you. Go to Wealthfront.com/Tim and open a Wealthfront account today, and you’ll get your first $5,000 managed for free, for life. Wealthfront will automate your investments for the long term. Get started today at Wealthfront.com/Tim.
This episode is brought to you by Ascent Protein! Ever since I wrote The 4-Hour Body, starting my day with ~30 grams of protein has been an essential part of my routine. I’ve been using Ascent’s whey protein for the last several years, and I recently tried their new plant-based protein. I’ve experimented with many other plant-based proteins, and most compromise on taste or efficacy, but Ascent Plant Protein is delicious and provides 25 grams of protein with 4 grams of BCAAs to support muscle health.
To ensure their product tastes great, Ascent verified it with third-party consumer research, and it won on taste and texture against the market leader. What’s more, it’s made from organic, real-food sources like organic pea, pumpkin, and sunflower and contains zero artificial ingredients, artificial sweeteners, or added sugars. Visit AscentProtein.com/Tim and use the code 20TFASCENT and you’ll receive 20% off of your entire purchase. This code is valid on their website and on Amazon.com. If you want a quick dose of protein to start your day or end a workout, this is a great option and my default. Enjoy!
This episode is brought to you by Shopify! Shopify is one of my favorite platforms and one of my favorite companies. Shopify is a platform designed for anyone to sell anywhere, giving entrepreneurs the resources once reserved for big business. In no time flat, you can have a great looking online store that brings your ideas to life, and you can have the tools to manage your day-to-day and drive sales. No coding or design experience required.
More than a store, Shopify grows with you, and they never stop innovating, providing more and more tools to make your business better and your life easier. Go to Shopify.com/tim for a FREE 14-day trial and get full access to Shopify’s entire suite of features.
What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES…
Want to hear another Random Show? Listen to my last conversation with Kevin Rose, in which we discussed generative art, pet biohacking, saffron highs, bad ideas for conquering COVID, good TV for anyone passing time in convalescence, decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs), mainstream acceptance of psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy, making good decisions in the face of scientific unknowns, and much more.
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- Connect with Kevin Rose:
- The Official PROOF PFP | Moonbirds
- Spotify Premium Duo | Spotify
- Compare Models | Tesla
- Dinty Moore Beef Stew | Amazon
- Betty Crocker Tuna Helper | Amazon
- Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper | Amazon
- Visions of Japan: Kawase Hasui’s Masterpieces by Kawase Hasui | Amazon
- Hokusai: The Great Wave That Swept the World | The Guardian
- Of Trees, Tenderness, and the Moon: Hasui Kawase’s Stunning Japanese Woodblock Prints from the 1920s-1950s | The Marginalian
- AMORALMAN: A True Story and Other Lies by Derek DelGaudio | Amazon
- Dr. Mark Plotkin on Ethnobotany, Real vs. Fake Shamans, Hallucinogens, and the Dalai Lamas of South America | The Tim Ferriss Show #469
- The Plants of the Gods Podcast with Mark J. Plotkin
- Tobacco and Shamanism in South America by Johannes Wilbert | Amazon
- Health Risks of Smokeless Tobacco | American Cancer Society
- Comprehensive Chemical Characterization of Rapé Tobacco Products: Nicotine, Un-ionized Nicotine, Tobacco-specific N’-Nitrosamines, Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons, and Flavor Constituents | Food and Chemical Toxicology
- Hamilton Morris on Iboga, 5-MeO-DMT, the Power of Ritual, New Frontiers in Psychedelics, Excellent Problems to Solve, and More | The Tim Ferriss Show #511
- Bufo Alvarius: The Psychedelic Toad of the Sonoran Desert by Ken Nelson, Expanded and Updated Edition by Hamilton Morris | Department of Information
- Tales of a Shaman’s Apprentice: An Ethnobotanist Searches for New Medicines in the Amazon Rain Forest by Mark J. Plotkin | Amazon
- Protecting the Amazon in Partnership with Indigenous and Other Local Communities | Amazon Conservation Team
- Derek DelGaudio’s In & Of Itself | Hulu
- Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr by John Crowley and Melody Newcomb | Amazon
- Little, Big by John Crowley | Amazon
- Finding the One Decision That Removes 100 Decisions (or, Why I’m Reading No New Books in 2020) | Tim Ferriss
- Aegypt by John Crowley and Grzegorz Domaradzki | Amazon
- Terry Real: Breaking the Cycle of Shame, Anger, and Depression | The Peter Attia Drive
- Fierce Intimacy by Terence Real | Amazon
- We Are Not a Men’s Group | The Spooky Men’s Chorale
- What Is Toxic Masculinity? | The New York Times
- “Current Thing” | Marc Andreessen, Twitter
- “Whenever You Find Yourself on the Side of the Majority, It Is Time to Reform (Or Pause and Reflect).” | Mark Twain Quotations
- Grails | PROOF Collective
- How to Make an NFT | The Motley Fool
- “Choose Wisely.” | Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- How to Start a War by Tim Ferriss | Grails by PROOF Collective
- More Than Just a JPEG: Breaking Down NFT Utility | Portion Blog
- Bored Apes NFT Project Gets Official ‘Apecoin’ Token | TechCrunch
- What is FUD? | Coin Rivet
- Jaws | David Yarrow, Facebook
- Warren Buffett: “Don’t Ask the Barber Whether You Need a Haircut” | CNBC
- Bluefin Tuna Sells for a Record $3.1M in Tokyo Auction | CBS News
- The 30-Day Challenge: No Booze, No Masturbating (NOBNOM) | Tim Ferriss
- Harlan Estate
- Meadowood | Visit California
- Five Tech Predictions for 2016 by Kevin Rose | Medium
- Hibiki 30 Years Old | Dekantā
- The Random Show — Biohacking, Tim’s COVID Experience, Holiday Gift Ideas, Favorite New Apps, Bad Science, Quarantine Delights, and a Small Dose of NFTs and DAOs | The Tim Ferriss Show #549
- Why Software Is Eating the World | Andreessen Horowitz
- Burning Man
- The History of SXSW | SXSW Conference & Festivals
- Chris Dixon and Naval Ravikant — The Wonders of Web3, How to Pick the Right Hill to Climb, Finding the Right Amount of Crypto Regulation, Friends with Benefits, and the Untapped Potential of NFTs | The Tim Ferriss Show #542
- Apeing | Alexandria
- Commission-Free Stock Trading & Investing App | Robinhood
- Blockchain 101: The Simplest Guide You Will Ever Read | Velotio
- Boyd Varty — The Lion Tracker’s Guide to Life | The Tim Ferriss Show #571
- What are Kevin and I stupidly frugal about? [06:15]
- Tobacco talk, Zoom group therapy, and books we’ve been reading. [10:20]
- Thoughts on men’s groups, healthy venting, the demonization of masculinity, and groupthink. [37:11]
- How my first NFT came to be, and the story behind PROOF Collective’s Grails project. [45:45]
- What’s a utility NFT, and will my NFT have utility attached to it? While a great idea in theory, what problems might arise over the lifetime of a utility NFT? How is the PROOF Collective trying to alleviate such problems? [52:30]
- Can FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) be a good thing in the NFT world? [59:29]
- The difficulties presented by trying to serve a massive audience on a reasonable budget, and how PROOF Collective’s new PFP project, Moonbirds, will try to do it right. [1:03:15]
- Could an NFT project get me canceled? Perhaps someday we’ll see. [1:06:15]
- Is Harlan Estate the Moonbirds of wine, or is Moonbirds the Harlan Estate of NFTs? Kevin explains why he’s particularly excited about the possibilities of Web3 — and why Adam Gazzaley owes him a bottle of Hibiki 30. [1:08:43]
- “Apeing” into position while mitigating downside when opportunity seems to be knocking. [1:12:52]
- Why Kevin believes now is the time to get a foundational understanding of how blockchains and NFTs work even if you don’t have big money to spend in the game. [1:16:57]
- Don’t want to mingle with people at a conference? Tell them this. [1:17:37]
- Parting thoughts. [1:20:05]
- Hasui Kawase
- Katsushika Hokusai
- Maria Popova
- Mark Plotkin
- Kenneth Nelson
- Richard Evans Schultes
- Derek DelGaudio
- John Crowley
- Peter Attia
- Terry Real
- Darya Rose
- Marc Andreessen
- Mark Twain
- Abraham Lincoln
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Groucho Marx
- Mae West
- Warren Buffett
- Bill and Will Harlan
- Adam Gazzaley
- Chris Dixon
- Naval Ravikant
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 700 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.