“If all we’re doing is asking ourselves questions, but never coming up with an answer, well, that can lead to some very imbalanced insanity at times.”— Matthew McConaughey
Matthew McConaughey (@McConaughey) is a Texas native and one of Hollywood’s most sought-after leading men. A chance meeting in Austin with casting director and producer Don Phillips led him to director Richard Linklater, who launched the actor’s career in the cult classic Dazed and Confused. Since then, he has won an Academy Award for his portrayal of Ron Woodroof in Dallas Buyers Club, appeared in more than 40 feature films that have grossed more than $1 billion, and has become a producer, director, and philanthropist with his Just Keep Livin’ Foundation—all the while sticking to his Texas roots and “jk livin'” philosophy.
McConaughey also serves as creative director for Wild Turkey and has co-created his own bourbon, Longbranch. He serves as Minister of Culture/M.O.C. for the University of Texas Athletic Department and the Austin FC Soccer Club, where he is part owner. McConaughey will launch his first book, Greenlights, on October 20, 2020. He currently resides in Austin, Texas, with his wife Camilla and their three kids while he is a professor at the University of Texas in Austin.
This episode is brought to you by Wealthfront! Wealthfront pioneered the automated investing movement, sometimes referred to as ‘robo-advising,’ and they currently oversee $28 billion of assets for their clients. It takes about three minutes to sign up, and then Wealthfront will build you a globally diversified portfolio of ETFs based on your risk appetite and manage it for you at an incredibly low cost.
Smart investing should not feel like a rollercoaster ride. Let the professionals do the work for you. Go to Wealthfront.com/Tim and open a Wealthfront account today, and you’ll get your first $5,000 managed for free, for life. Wealthfront will automate your investments for the long term. Get started today at Wealthfront.com/Tim.
This episode is brought to you by Helix Sleep! Helix was selected as the #1 overall mattress of 2020 by GQ magazine, Wired, Apartment Therapy, and many others. With Helix, there’s a specific mattress to meet each and every body’s unique comfort needs. Just take their quiz—only two minutes to complete—that matches your body type and sleep preferences to the perfect mattress for you. They have a 10-year warranty, and you get to try it out for a hundred nights, risk-free. They’ll even pick it up from you if you don’t love it. And now, Helix is offering up to 200 dollars off all mattress orders plus two free pillows at HelixSleep.com/Tim.
This episode is brought to you by Magic Spoon cereal! Magic Spoon is a low-carb, high-protein, and zero sugar cereal that tastes just like your favorite sugary cereal. Each serving has 13–14g of protein, 4g of net carbs, and 0g of sugar. It’s also gluten free, grain free, soy free, and keto friendly. And it’s delicious! It comes in your favorite, traditional cereal flavors like Cocoa, Frosted, Peanut Butter, and Blueberry.
Magic Spoon cereal has received a lot of attention since their launch. Time magazine included it in their list of Best Inventions of 2019, and Forbes called it “the future of cereal.” My listeners—that’s you—get $5 off and a 100% happiness guarantee when you visit MagicSpoon.com/Tim and use code TIM. And some great news for Canadian listeners: Magic Spoon now also ships to Canada!
What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES…
Want to hear an episode with a friend Matthew and I have in common? Listen to my most recent conversation with Ryan Holiday in which we discuss using Stoicism to cope with pandemic lockdowns, managing fear when everything seems out of control, fast decisions versus rushed decisions, and much more.
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- Connect with Matthew McConaughey:
- Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey
- Just Keep Livin’ Foundation
- Longbranch | Wild Turkey
- Dallas Buyers Club | Prime Video
- Dazed and Confused | Prime Video
- Matthew McConaughey: ‘My Agent Said No to Romcoms. And Then There Was Nothing’ | The Guardian
- Matthew McConaughey Was Voted ‘Most Handsome’ After Struggles with Acne | HuffPost India
- The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino
- Delta Tau Delta
- The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost | Poetry Foundation
- Best of the Goth Kids | South Park
- Die Hard | Prime Video
- Stoicism Resources and Recommendations | tim.blog
- The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph by Ryan Holiday
- Socratic Dialogue Definition and Examples | ThoughtCo.
- A Time To Kill | Prime Video
- Yes, Impostor Syndrome is Real: Here’s How to Deal With It | Time
- Matthew McConaughey: My Baby Will Be a Surfer Dude, Too | People
- Hollywood Tried Really Hard to Keep Matthew McConaughey in Rom-Coms | CinemaBlend
- Creative Artists Agency (CAA)
- Killer Joe | Prime Video
- The Paperboy | Prime Video
- Mud | Prime Video
- Magic Mike | Prime Video
- Bernie | Prime Video
- True Detective: Season 1 | Prime Video
- Matthew comes from peddlin’ stock. What did his father peddle, and what is Matthew’s most vivid memory of him? [06:28]
- How did the thing Matthew’s mother peddled get him involved in a lengthy legal dispute that had the potential to change his family’s fortune? [08:41]
- Is it true that Matthew’s parents had an unusual marriage history, and that the words “hate” and “can’t” were forbidden in their household? What lesson did young Matthew learn on one occasion when he said “I can’t” to his father? [15:23]
- Why has The Greatest Salesman in the World by Og Mandino had such an impact on Matthew, and how did he serendipitously happen upon it while studying to be a lawyer? [18:06]
- Matthew’s 10 goals in life circa 1992, and what he was doing at that point in time. [26:52]
- What did Matthew mean specifically with goal number five: be an egotistical utilitarian? [31:45]
- Six: take more risks. Why? [33:42]
- Why did Matthew start using a diary, and what have been the benefits of doing it for decades? How has its purpose evolved over this span of time? [39:10]
- Why is Matthew’s new book titled Greenlights? [43:24]
- A million directions and eight options. Where to go first? Down dirt roads and autobahns, and maybe a footpath of Stoicism. [47:52]
- Was writing Greenlights in self-prescribed solitary confinement an act of penance? What did the process look like, and how does he address himself when he’s the only one around to talk to? What’s the most important thing to remember when you ask yourself questions? [55:57]
- The art of running downhill — like when your world’s become inverted by overnight fame and success. [1:00:47]
- How hard was it for Matthew to start saying “No” to roles he was no longer interested in playing when Hollywood had already typecast him as the rom-com guy — and financially rewarding him accordingly? [1:05:09]
- What practices helped Matthew get through the 22-month period it took to become “unbranded” as the rom-com guy in the eyes of Hollywood? [1:18:12]
- What misconceptions does the world have about Matthew that he’d like to clear up? [1:21:30]
- What would Matthew’s billboard say? [1:27:04]
- The galvanizing effects of Texas groundwater on optimal storytelling and other parting thoughts. [1:31:00]
- Don Phillips
- Richard Linklater
- Ron Woodroof
- Camila McConaughey
- Jim McConaughey
- Kay McConaughey
- Jerry Harris
- Camisa Springs
- Og Mandino
- S.R. Bindler
- Monnie Wills
- John Wayne
- Josh Waitzkin
- Robert Frost
- Sergei Eisenstein
- Ryan Holiday
- Mike Tyson
- Jim Toth
- William Friedkin
- Lee Daniels
- Jeff Nichols
- Steven Soderbergh
- Jean-Marc Vallée
- Rooster McConaughey
- Pat McConaughey
- Mary Karr
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 800 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.