“I don’t understand how you do something halfway. I did that through high school, and doing that, I saw the instant consequence.” — Kevin Hart
Kevin Hart (@kevinhart4real) was born and raised in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he launched his career as a comedian during an amateur night at a local comedy club. Over the years, Kevin has become one of Hollywood’s box office powerhouses, opening ten films as the number-one movie on opening weekend. Kevin’s memoir, I Can’t Make This Up, debuted at number one on The New York Times Best-Seller List and remained in the top 10 of the Print Hardcover Best-Seller List for ten weeks straight. The Decision: Overcoming Today’s BS for Tomorrow’s Success—an Audible Original launching May 21st and a follow-up to his memoir—helps people get mentally fit using the same tools and rules he’s developed to elevate his own life.
Kevin can next be seen in Sony’s Fatherhood, a movie that he is not only starring in but also producing through his production company, Hartbeat Productions. He most recently starred in the Sony franchise Jumanji: The Next Level. In 2019, Hart reprised his role as the white-haired rabbit, Snowball, in Universal’s The Secret Life of Pets 2. Before that, Hart starred in STX Entertainment’s The Upside alongside Bryan Cranston and Nicole Kidman. In 2018, Hart co-wrote, produced, and starred in Universal’s Night School, all under Hartbeat Productions.
His last live stand-up comedy tour, “The Irresponsible Tour,” was released as a Netflix Original Stand-Up Special in April 2019.
This episode is brought to you by Theragun! Theragun is my go-to solution for recovery and restoration. It’s a famous, handheld percussive therapy device that releases your deepest muscle tension. I own two Theraguns, and my girlfriend and I use them every day after workouts and before bed. The all-new Gen 4 Theragun has a proprietary brushless motor that’s surprisingly quiet. It’s easy to use and about as quiet as an electric toothbrush.
Go to Theragun.com/TIM right now and get your Gen 4 Theragun today, starting at only $199.
This podcast is also brought to you by Athletic Greens. I get asked all the time, “If you could only use one supplement, what would it be?” My answer is usually Athletic Greens, my all-in-one nutritional insurance. I recommended it in The 4-Hour Body in 2010 and did not get paid to do so. I do my best with nutrient-dense meals, of course, but AG further covers my bases with vitamins, minerals, and whole-food-sourced micronutrients that support gut health and the immune system.
As a listener of The Tim Ferriss Show, you’ll get a free 20-count travel pack (valued at $79) with your first order at AthleticGreens.com/tim.
What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
SCROLL BELOW FOR LINKS AND SHOW NOTES…
Want to hear an episode with another 21st-century funnyman? Listen to my conversation with Jim Jefferies in which we discuss Australian birds, violent hecklers, gun control, Monty Python, the secret to comic longevity, and much more.
SELECTED LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- The Decision: Overcoming Today’s BS for Tomorrow’s Success
- Kevin Hart Opens Up About His Childhood, Empire, and More | Variety
- Kevin Hart Calls His Car Accident Recovery a ‘Resurrection’ | People
- Remembering Neil Armstrong: First Man on the Moon | ABC News
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Events as They Happen | WHO
- The SAT | SAT Suite of Assessments | The College Board
- Indianapolis 500
- Kevin Hart Plans to Be a Billionaire | Variety
- Laugh Out Loud Network
- Kevin Hart’s Multivitamin Supplement | VitaHustle
- Kevin Hart’s Laugh Out Loud Radio | SiriusXM
- Kevin Hart Talks Partnership with Fabletics Men | Essence
- Monopoly Ultimate Banking Board Game
- Ozark | Netflix
- Why Your Brain’s So Bad at Letting Go of Negative Comments | Fast Company
- Cowboy Up | Urban Dictionary
- Six Years after Flint Water Switch, Residents Fear Justice May Never Come | Bridge Magazine
- A mutual friend said Kevin Hart is “the person [he] would most like to be like.” How much of Kevin’s character can be chalked up to the upbringing his mother provided? [06:05]
- How has Kevin developed the positivity to reconcile with his father — with whom he shares a troubled history — and reject the energy-draining impact of hatred? [09:11]
- What does Kevin’s self-talk look like when he’s immersed in a situation beyond his control — as he was during recovery from his terrible car accident in 2019? [15:25]
- How does Kevin maintain the discomfort he feels is necessary to fuel the drive to excel while appreciating the good things he already has? [18:32]
- Has Kevin always had the drive to perform at 100 percent? If not, what made him step up? [24:39]
- In what ways does Kevin say “no” in order to say “yes” to other commitments? [29:55]
- How does Kevin choose his opportunities so they’re steps up rather than steps sideways or backwards? [34:00]
- Kevin’s Monopoly strategy. [39:23]
- What do the first 90 minutes of Kevin’s day look like? [41:15]
- What Kevin considers to be the most unbeatable exercises anyone can do. [42:30]
- The storytellers who really stand out for Kevin. [42:58]
- Why is now the right time for Kevin to release The Decision: Overcoming Today’s BS for Tomorrow’s Success? [45:15]
- For those familiar with Kevin’s first book, I Can’t Make This Up, how does The Decision compare? If the former was a memoir, is the latter more of a set of tools and principles? [50:15]
- Parting thoughts. [56:36]
- Bryan Cranston
- Nicole Kidman
- Neil Strauss
- Nancy Hart
- Henry Witherspoon
- Eniko Hart
- The Hart Family
- Robert Hart
- Neil Armstrong
- Eddie Murphy
- Bill Cosby
- Dave Chappelle
- Bernie Mac
- Evander Holyfield
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with over 500 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.