“The world always makes sense; we just don’t understand it.”
This episode sets a new record with five guests — each considered among the best in their field. It features Adam Robinson (@IAmAdamRobinson), Debbie Millman (@debbiemillman), Neil Strauss (@neilstrauss), Scott Belsky (@scottbelsky), and Veronica Belmont (@Veronica).
This roundtable conversation discusses best investments, favorite failures, and bad advice to avoid. I really enjoyed all of the answers from the guests as there’s lots of actionable advice. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear a conversation with a mentor from Tribe of Mentors? Listen to this episode with Tim Urban, in which we discuss the future, how to deal with procrastination, AI, and much much more. Listen to it here (stream below or right-click to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Four Sigmatic. While I often praise this company’s lion’s mane Mushroom Coffee for a minimal caffeine dose wakeup call that lasts, I asked the founders if they could help me — someone who’s struggled with insomnia for decades — improve my sleep. Their answer: Reishi Mushroom Elixir. They made a special batch for me and my listeners that comes without sweetener; you can try it with a little honey or nut milk, or you can just add hot water to your single-serving packet and embrace its bitterness like I do.
Try it right now by going to foursigmatic.com/ferriss and using the code Ferriss to receive 20 percent off this rare, limited run of Reishi Mushroom Elixir. If you are in the experimental mindset, I do not think you’ll be disappointed.
This podcast is also brought to you by Athletic Greens. I get asked all the time, “If you could only use one supplement, what would it be?” My answer is, inevitably, Athletic Greens. It is my all-in-one nutritional insurance. I recommended it in The 4-Hour Body and did not get paid to do so. As a listener of The Tim Ferriss Show, you’ll get 30 percent off your first order at AthleticGreens.com/Tim.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Adam Robinson:
- Connect with Debbie Millman:
- Connect with Neil Strauss:
- Connect with Scott Belsky:
- Connect with Veronica Belmont:
- Books by Adam Robinson
- Judgment Under Uncertainty: Heuristics and Biases by Daniel Kahneman, Paul Slovic, and Amos Tversky
- Adam’s method of meditation is heart rate variability training (HRV).
- A book on HRV: The HeartMath Solution: The Institute of HeartMath’s Revolutionary Program for Engaging the Power of the Heart’s Intelligence by Doc Lew Childre and Howard Martin
- Adam’s recommendation for tracking HRV.
- Books by Debbie Millman
- AIGA: Sold Out — the Speak Up open letter that Debbie credits as “the most important defining experience of [her] life.”
- Books by Neil Strauss
- Who Knows What’s Good or Bad? by David Allan, Medium
- No B.S. Time Management for Entrepreneurs: The Ultimate No Holds Barred Kick Butt Take No Prisoners Guide to Time Productivity and Sanity by Dan S. Kennedy
- Mastery by Robert Greene
- Books by Scott Belsky
- Books by Veronica Belmont
- Veronica hosting the Game of Thrones season six premiere.
- Introducing Adam Robinson. [05:55]
- Bad recommendations Adam hears often. [07:17]
- One of Adam’s most worthwhile investments. [13:09]
- Introducing Debbie Millman. [17:12]
- What is Debbie’s favorite failure? [18:44]
- One of Debbie’s most worthwhile investments. [20:30]
- Bad recommendations Debbie hears often. [26:48]
- Introducing Neil Strauss. [27:47]
- Neil’s favorite failure. [28:40]
- One of Neil’s most worthwhile investments. [31:54]
- Introducing Scott Belsky. [35:41]
- Bad recommendations Scott hears often. [36:46]
- What advice would Scott give to a smart, driven college student about to enter the so-called “real” world? [39:32]
- Introducing Veronica Belmont. [41:16]
- Veronica’s favorite failure. [42:28]
- Bad recommendations Veronica hears often. [44:07]
- What advice would Veronica give to a smart, driven college student about to enter the so-called “real” world? [44:38]
- Adam Robinson
- Debbie Millman
- Neil Strauss
- Scott Belsky
- Veronica Belmont
- Bobby Fischer
- Paul Slovic
- Daniel Kahneman
- Josh Waitzkin
- Seth Godin
- Kevin Hart
- Dan Kennedy
- Robert Greene
- Joe Gebbia
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 600 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.