“Vulnerability is not weakness.”
– Terry Crews
Terry Crews (@terrycrews) is an actor and former NFL player (Los Angeles Rams, San Diego Chargers, Washington Redskins, and Philadelphia Eagles). His wide-ranging credits include the original viral Old Spice commercials, television series such as The Newsroom, Arrested Development, and Everybody Hates Chris, and films including White Chicks, The Expendables franchise, Bridesmaids, and The Longest Yard.
He now stars on the Golden Globe award-winning Fox sitcom Brooklyn Nine-Nine. In 2014, Terry released his autobiography, Manhood: How to Be a Better Man — or Just Live with One.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear a conversation with a mentor from Tribe of Mentors? Listen to this episode with Tim Urban, in which we discuss the future, how to deal with procrastination, AI, and much much more. Listen to it here (stream below or right-click to download):
This podcast is brought to you by 99Designs, the world’s largest marketplace of graphic designers. I have used them for years to create some amazing designs. When your business needs a logo, website design, business card, or anything you can imagine, check out 99Designs.
I used them to rapid prototype the cover for The Tao of Seneca, and I’ve also had them help with display advertising and illustrations. If you want a more personalized approach, I recommend their 1-on-1 service. You get original designs from designers around the world. The best part? You provide your feedback, and then you end up with a product that you’re happy with or your money back. Click this link and get a free $99 upgrade. Give it a test run…
This podcast is also brought to you by FreshBooks. FreshBooks is the #1 cloud bookkeeping software, which is used by a ton of the start-ups I advise and many of the contractors I work with. It is the easiest way to send invoices, get paid, track your time, and track your clients.
FreshBooks tells you when your clients have viewed your invoices, helps you customize your invoices, track your hours, automatically organize your receipts, have late payment reminders sent automatically and much more.
Right now you can get a free month of complete and unrestricted use. You do not need a credit card for the trial. To claim your free month and see how the brand new Freshbooks can change your business, go to FreshBooks.com/Tim and enter “Tim Ferriss” in the “how did you hear about us” section.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Terry Crews:
- Aratani Theatre
- Manhood: How to Be a Better Man — or Just Live with One by Terry Crews
- Who Poisoned Flint, Michigan? by Stephen Rodrick, Rolling Stone
- Interlochen Center for the Arts
- Actor Terry Crews Introduces a Contemporary Furniture Collection. Yep, He’s Doing That Now by Bonnie McCarthy, Los Angeles Times
- Terry Crews Presents The Hard Questions
- The Master Key System by Charles F. Haanel
- Terry’s Lilypad Chair
- BOB Screen Time Manager
- T-Money vs. Rick Steiner (Battle Dome vs. WCW)
- The 6th Day
- White Chicks
- Terry Crews Says ‘I Will Not Be Shamed’ as He Shares Details of Alleged Sexual Assault by Stephanie Petit, People
- Man 2.0 Engineering the Alpha: A Real World Guide to an Unreal Life: Build More Muscle. Burn More Fat. Have More Sex by John Romaniello and Adam Bornstein
- How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie
- Fear-Setting: The Most Valuable Exercise I Do Every Month by Tim Ferriss
- Terry is as big as he looks on television. [06:13]
- Terry talks about his art background and growing up in Flint, Michigan. [07:32]
- Why Terry didn’t stop making art just because he started playing football. [16:26]
- How a vow helped Terry get through his teenage years. [20:15]
- Negotiating with life’s everyday terrorists — from childhood to Hollywood. [22:20]
- Terry is a motivational doer. [27:38]
- Through the tough times, how has Terry maintained his optimism? [29:35]
- On dealing with his own bouts of toxic masculinity (with a lot of help from his brutally honest wife). [31:02]
- A favorite failure. [36:32]
- How “The Master Key System” by Charles F. Haanel helped guide the course of Terry’s life. [44:09]
- The consequences of competition on creativity and overall success. [50:26]
- Terry’s advice to a new or expecting parent. [59:26]
- Two ways of confronting an abusive father. [1:03:40]
- Terry reflects on his favorite Emerson quote. [1:12:28]
- Coping with “imposter syndrome” on his first movie set — with Arnold Schwarzenegger. [1:16:16]
- What advice would Terry’s time-traveling 95-year-old self give him today? [1:20:06]
- Lifestyle changes I’ve made since my 40th birthday; changes Terry has made going into his 50th. [1:23:23]
- Terry’s intermittent fasting schedule. [1:26:35]
- An interview request and my thoughts on cryptocurrency. [1:29:41]
- How do we choose who to mentor (and who to let go)? [1:33:18]
- How does Terry let someone go (and why doesn’t he believe in the traditional Hollywood entourage)? [1:37:04]
- Advice for introverts who want to be entrepreneurial but dread socializing. [1:42:39]
- Recommendations for coping with self-induced anxiety. [1:46:21]
- Terry’s parting words and ask of the audience. [1:50:29]
- Patrica Ann Crews
- Dwight Eichelberg
- Rebecca King-Crews
- Debbie Millman
- Matt Mullenweg
- Peter Thiel
- Steve Jobs
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Tia Carrere
- Michael Novogratz
- Dan Gable
- Jacqueline Novogratz
- Vitalik Buterin
- Zooko Wilcox
- Sylvester Stallone
- Chris Sacca
- Dale Carnegie
Posted on: December 20, 2017.
Please check out Tribe of Mentors, my newest book, which shares short, tactical life advice from 100+ world-class performers. Many of the world's most famous entrepreneurs, athletes, investors, poker players, and artists are part of the book. The tips and strategies in Tribe of Mentors have already changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for a sample chapter and full details. Roughly 90% of the guests have never appeared on my podcast.
Who was interviewed? Here's a very partial list: tech icons (founders of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Craigslist, Pinterest, Spotify, Salesforce, Dropbox, and more), Jimmy Fallon, Arianna Huffington, Brandon Stanton (Humans of New York), Lord Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ben Stiller, Maurice Ashley (first African-American Grandmaster of chess), Brené Brown (researcher and bestselling author), Rick Rubin (legendary music producer), Temple Grandin (animal behavior expert and autism activist), Franklin Leonard (The Black List), Dara Torres (12-time Olympic medalist in swimming), David Lynch (director), Kelly Slater (surfing legend), Bozoma Saint John (Beats/Apple/Uber), Lewis Cantley (famed cancer researcher), Maria Sharapova, Chris Anderson (curator of TED), Terry Crews, Greg Norman (golf icon), Vitalik Buterin (creator of Ethereum), and nearly 100 more. Check it all out by clicking here.