“Routine, in an intelligent man, is a sign of ambition.”
– W. H. Auden
This is a special episode of the podcast. After more than 200 conversations with the world’s top performers, you start to spot certain patterns. These are the shared habits, hacks, philosophies, and tools that are the common threads of success, happiness, health, and wealth.
These commonalities were the premise of my most recent book, The New York Times #1 bestseller Tools of Titans — a compilation of my favorite lessons, routines, and tips of many of my guests.
In this episode, I’ve gathered some of the best advice about morning routines from:
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another episode of featuring multiple guests and their best tips? In this episode, we explore meditation and mindfulness with Chase Jarvis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sam Harris, and Rainn Wilson (stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by MeUndies. I’ve spent the last year wearing underwear from these guys 24/7, and they are the most comfortable and colorful underwear I’ve ever owned. MeUndies are designed in L.A. and made from sustainably sourced MicroModal — a fabric three times softer than cotton. Even better, it includes free shipping.
If you don’t love your first pair of MeUndies, they’ll hook you up with a new pair or a refund. If you love the product, they have three different subscription plans — so you’ll never be bored with the ever-changing selection. Check out MeUndies.com/Tim to see my current faves (some are awesomely ridiculous, like the camo) and get 20 percent off your first pair. That’s MeUndies.com/Tim.
This podcast is also brought to you by 99Designs, the world’s largest marketplace of graphic designers. I have used them for years to create some amazing designs. When your business needs a logo, website design, business card, or anything you can imagine, check out 99Designs.
I used them to rapid prototype the cover for The Tao of Seneca, and I’ve also had them help with display advertising and illustrations. If you want a more personalized approach, I recommend their 1-on-1 service. You get original designs from designers around the world. The best part? You provide your feedback, and then you end up with a product that you’re happy with or your money back. Click this link and get a free $99 upgrade. Give it a test run…
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Jocko Willink:
- Connect with Seth Godin:
- Connect with Jamie Foxx:
- Connect with Scott Adams:
- Meditation, Mindset, and Mastery
- How to Control Stress, Upgrade Your Nutrition, and Build the Mindset of a Gladiator
- 5 Morning Rituals That Help Me Win The Day
- Admiral McRaven’s Life Lesson #1: Make Your Bed
- Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life…and Maybe the World by William H. McRaven
- What My Morning Journal Looks Like
- Tools of Titans: The Tactics, Routines, and Habits of Billionaires, Icons, and World-Class Performers
- Priming Exercise with Tony Robbins
- Transcendental Meditation
- Tara Brach’s guided meditations
- Morning teas: pu-erh and turmeric ginger
- The Five-Minute Journal
- Yes, “Coffee Naps” Work. Here’s What You Need to Know. by Emily Siegel, Van Winkle’s
- Jocko Willink on Discipline, Leadership, and Overcoming Doubt
- The Scariest Navy SEAL Imaginable…And What He Taught Me
- Extreme Ownership: How US Navy SEALs Lead and Win by Jocko Willink
- Battle of Ramadi
- Seth Godin on How to Think Small to Go Big
- How Seth Godin Manages His Life — Rules, Principles, and Obsessions
- Books by Seth Godin
- The altMBA
- Seth Godin’s classes at Skillshare
- Jamie Foxx on Workout Routines, Success Habits, and Untold Hollywood Stories
- Giuseppe Zanotti shoes
- Scott Adams: The Man Behind Dilbert
- God’s Debris: A Thought Experiment by Scott Adams
- Scott’s blog posts on the body model, the six dimensions of humor, and affirmations.
- The Far Side by Gary Larson
- Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
- Why your morning should have a predictable and scripted sequence. [06:45]
- My morning non-negotiables. [07:57]
- Jocko Willink’s morning routines and how he structures his ideal day. [10:01]
- Who Jocko thinks of when he hears the word “successful.” [15:00]
- What are Jocko’s struggles? [17:44]
- The first two hours in Seth Godin’s day, and what his typical breakfast looks like. [22:05]
- The value of having an office. [25:29]
- Seth’s views on educating kids to succeed in the 21st century. [26:40]
- “Busy” as a trap, and practices parents can follow to regularly spend quality time with their children. [30:06]
- As an educator, here’s Seth’s strategy for retaining online students. [31:34]
- Seth on self-discipline. [34:12]
- Jamie Foxx’s morning routine doesn’t involve coffee. [36:10]
- Advice Jamie would give to his younger self. [39:47]
- Jamie’s daughter’s advice to his current self. [46:08]
- The structure of Scott Adams’s morning. [47:47]
- On clearing and “flooding” the brain and paying attention to what the body model is trying to tell us. [49:26]
- Moving art into the domain of craft and understanding the six dimensions of humor. [51:18]
- Stories about coincidences and affirmations. [55:07]
- W. H. Auden
- William H. McRaven
- Tony Robbins
- Tara Brach
- Sam Harris
- Marc Alan Lee
- Michael A. Monsoor
- Ryan Job
- Richard Branson
- Helene Godin
- Tyrin Turner
- Corinne Foxx
- George Lopez
- Nicole Scherzinger
- Naval Ravikant
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 600 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.