“We were in the locker room getting naked and two guys were like ‘Tim! I love your book!'”
— Kevin Rose
This is not going to be a long-form interview where I dissect and deconstruct a world-class performer. Instead, this is a special edition of The Random Show.
I am joined by Kevin Rose (@KevinRose), serial entrepreneur, and all around wild and crazy guy!
Have just 2 minutes? Learn about the dating app I think is even better than Tinder.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear this fascinating episode with Dom D’Agostino? I mentioned that he deadlifted 500 pounds for 10 reps after a seven-day fast. Listen to our conversation in which we discuss fasting, ketosis, and the end of cancer. (Stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Wealthfront. Wealthfront is a massively disruptive (in a good way) set-it-and-forget-it investing service, led by technologists from places like Apple. It has exploded in popularity in the last two years and now has more than $2.5B under management. Why? Because you can get services previously limited to the ultra-wealthy and only pay pennies on the dollar for them, and it’s all through smarter software instead of retail locations and bloated sales teams.
Check out wealthfront.com/tim, take their risk assessment quiz, which only takes 2-5 minutes, and they’ll show you—for free–exactly the portfolio they’d put you in. If you want to just take their advice and do it yourself, you can. Well worth a few minutes to explore: wealthfront.com/tim.
This podcast is also brought to you by 99Designs, the world’s largest marketplace of graphic designers. I have used them for years to create some amazing designs. When your business needs a logo, website design, business card, or anything you can imagine, check out 99Designs.
I used them to rapid prototype the cover for The 4-Hour Body, and I’ve also had them help with display advertising and illustrations. If you want a more personalized approach, I recommend their 1-on-1 service. You get original designs from designers around the world. The best part? You provide your feedback, and then you end up with a product that you’re happy with or your money back. Click this link and get a free $99 upgrade. Give it a test run.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What other recovery and/or self-improvement techniques would you like to learn more about? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Listen to episodes on sauna use with Dr. Rhonda Patrick and Wim Hof
- Learn more about Ray Cronise, who helped with the Ice Age chapter in The 4-Hour Body
- Check out the Hoshizaki Ice Maker
- Learn more about contrast therapy
- Learn more about Yaktrax for walking on snow and ice
- Check out the Bumble dating app
- Sign up for Kevin Rose’s newsletter – The Journal
- Sign up for my 5-Bullet Friday newsletter
- Watch BJ Miller’s TED Talk, “What Really Matters at the End of Life”
- Pick up a Rumble Roller
- The Baron in the Trees by Italo Calvino
- Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem
- Get a Fitbit Blaze to monitor your heart rate
- Learn more about Human Longevity, Inc.
- Headed to Yellowstone? Take a tour with Two Top snowmobile rental and follow Michelle
- Thinking about returning to magazines? Try these:
- Download the podcast suggested by Bill Gurley, Radiolab’s CRISPR
- In New York City? Check out Hearth Restaurant
- Brodo by Marco Canora
- Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
- Subscribe to Foodist Podcast, the podcast of Darya Rose
- On using saunas and cold treatment [6:03]
- Winter footwear and the story of Kevin’s NYC ice wipeout [16:18]
- Discussing the Bumble dating app [20:00]
- Kevin’s new newsletter [25:18]
- Tim’s recommended books for this episode [31:59]
- The Fitbit Blaze and heart rate monitoring technology [34:23]
- On returning to print magazines [45:43]
- On Marco Canora’s book and Hearth Restaurant [53:52]
Posted on: March 16, 2016.
Please check out Tribe of Mentors, my newest book, which shares short, tactical life advice from 100+ world-class performers. Many of the world's most famous entrepreneurs, athletes, investors, poker players, and artists are part of the book. The tips and strategies in Tribe of Mentors have already changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for a sample chapter and full details. Roughly 90% of the guests have never appeared on my podcast.
Who was interviewed? Here's a very partial list: tech icons (founders of Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Craigslist, Pinterest, Spotify, Salesforce, Dropbox, and more), Jimmy Fallon, Arianna Huffington, Brandon Stanton (Humans of New York), Lord Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Ben Stiller, Maurice Ashley (first African-American Grandmaster of chess), Brené Brown (researcher and bestselling author), Rick Rubin (legendary music producer), Temple Grandin (animal behavior expert and autism activist), Franklin Leonard (The Black List), Dara Torres (12-time Olympic medalist in swimming), David Lynch (director), Kelly Slater (surfing legend), Bozoma Saint John (Beats/Apple/Uber), Lewis Cantley (famed cancer researcher), Maria Sharapova, Chris Anderson (curator of TED), Terry Crews, Greg Norman (golf icon), Vitalik Buterin (creator of Ethereum), and nearly 100 more. Check it all out by clicking here.