“I like to make promises that I’m not sure I can keep, and then figure out how to keep them.” – Sophia Amoruso
Founded in 2006, Nasty Gal was named “Fastest Growing Retailer” in 2012 by Inc. Magazine, thanks to its 11,200% three-year growth rate.
Sophia has been called “fashion’s new phenom” by Forbes magazine, and she has become one of the most prominent and iconic figures in retail. She recently founded the #GIRLBOSS Foundation, which awards financial grants to women in the worlds of design, fashion, and music. Sophia’s first book, #GIRLBOSS, is a New York Times bestseller published in fifteen countries.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
Want to hear another podcast from the founder of a rapidly growing business? — Listen to my conversations with Tracy DiNunzio of Tradesy. In our three-part series, we explore many key questions, including: How has she created such high-velocity growth? How did she recruit the investors (e.g. Richard Branson) she did? What’s been her experience as a female founder? What are her biggest mistakes made and lessons learned? Check it out.
This podcast is brought to you by Athletic Greens. I get asked all the time, “if you could only use one supplement, what would it be?” My answer is, inevitably, Athletic Greens. It is my all-in-one nutritional insurance. I recommended it in The 4-Hour Body and did not get paid to do so. Get 50% off your order at Athletic Greens.com/Tim.
This podcast is also brought to you by Vimeo Pro, which is ideal for entrepreneurs. In fact, a bunch of my start-ups are already using Vimeo Pro. WealthFront uses it to explain how it develops personalized investment portfolios. TaskRabbit uses it to tell the company’s story. Twitter uses it to showcase Periscope. Why are they using it instead of other options out there? Vimeo Pro provides enterprise level video hosting that typically costs thousands of dollars for a tiny fraction of the cost. Features include:
- Gorgeous high-quality playback with no ads
- Up to 20 GB of video storage every week
- Unlimited plays and views
- A fully customizable video player, which can include your company logo, custom outro, and more
You get all this for just $199 per year (that’s only $17 per/mo.) There are no complicated bandwidth calculations or hidden fees. Just go to Vimeo.com/business to check it out. If you like it, you can use the promo code “Tim” to get 25% off. This is the deepest discount you will find anywhere for Vimeo Pro.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What rapidly growing companies interest you the most and why? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- eBay for Dummies by Marsha Collier
- Influence by Robert Cialdini
- Learn more about Girl Boss Guerilla
- The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason
- Rilke on Love and Other Difficulties and Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke
- Learn more about Dating Naked
- No Man’s Land by Doug Tatum
- Venture Deals by Brad Feld and Jason Mendelson
- Check out Valve Software’s Employee Handbook
- Learn more about Index Fund
- Visit the House of Air in San Francisco, CA
- Watch The Color of Pomegranates, Sophia Amoruso’s favorite movie
- Check out Jura Coffee makers and David Lynch Coffee
- Connect with Sophia
- How do you answer the question, “What do you do?” [5:21]
- The poopy pants story [9:06]
- How Sophia Amoruso started her business [13:51]
- Why Sophia is so good at selling on eBay [18:36]
- On learning to write persuasive copy [21:26]
- The inspiration for Sophia’s next book [23:21]
- Most gifted books and favorite writers [24:31]
- How to manage the stress of a quickly growing company [28:21]
- The origins of Nasty Gal [30:41]
- On the transition from eBay to NastyGal.com [33:56]
- Advice for those seeking to grow a business similar to Nasty Gal [39:51]
- Helpful books for those seeking to lead fast-growing companies [42:41]
- The biggest challenges while growing Nasty Gal [45:01]
- The mentors and/or resources that helped Sophia learn leadership [54:21]
- Sophia’s biggest struggles [1:01:56]
- Tips for interacting with the media [1:06:21]
- What is Sophia Amoruso’s go-to drink at a bar? [1:15:56]
- When you think of the word successful, who is the first person that comes to mind and why? [1:18:31]
- Rapid fire questions: favorite movies, surprising world-class abilities, and common misconceptions [1:21:01]
- If you could put a billboard anywhere and write anything on it, where would it be and what would it say? [1:24:26]
- The process behind stepping down as CEO [1:26:51]
- What purchase of $100 or less has most positively affected your life [1:29:36]
- Daily rituals [1:31:26]
- Advice for your thirty-year-old self [1:40:46]
- What are you most looking forward to in the next 12 months [1:42:01]
- Asks or requests of the audience [1:43:51]
- Rainer Maria Rilke
- Betty Davis
- Kelly Ripa
- Natalie Massenet
- Mickey Drexler
- David Choe
- Harley Pasternak
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 700 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.