By popular demand, an entire episode dedicated to exploring the human microbiome!
Are you really 90% bacteria and 10% human? How can you manage or optimize your own microbiome? Should we do fecal-matter transplants from “untouched” indigenous tribes to reverse chronic illness? We tackle all this and much more…
Jessica Richman is co-founder and CEO of uBiome, a startup backed by Y Combinator and Andreessen Horowitz, which uses citizen science to understand the human microbiome.
Jonathan Eisen is a Full Professor at the University of California, Davis with appointments in the School of Medicine and the College of Biological Sciences. Dr. Eisen’s research focuses on the evolution, ecology and function of communities of microorganisms.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This podcast is brought to you by 99Designs, the world’s largest marketplace of graphic designers. Did you know I used 99Designs to rapid prototype the cover for The 4-Hour Body? Here are some of the impressive results.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What’s the most interesting or helpful thing you’ve ever learned from a medical or biological test? Please share in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Do you enjoy this podcast? If so, please leave a short review here. It keeps me going…
Subscribe to The Tim Ferriss Show on iTunes.
Selected Links from the Episode
- UC Davis Genome Center
- Learn more about uBiome
- Seth Robert’s honey and vinegar bedtime trick
- Neil Gaiman – The Best Commencement Speech You May Ever Hear (20 Minutes)
- Oxford Internet Institute
- Start-Up Chile
- A Field Guide to the Birds of North America by National Geographic
- The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway
- The Old Man and The Sea by Ernest Hemingway
- Shackleton with Kenneth Branagh
- The Edge with Anthony Hopkins
- Connect with Jessica Richman:
- Connect with Jonathan Eisen:
- Interesting answers to boring questions… [1:00]
- Defining “microbiology” [2:30]
- What is “phylogenomics”? [4:00]
- Microbiome misconceptions [6:40]
- Defining citizen science [9:30]
- Gut | Mood | Behavior [11:30]
- Scaling microbiome research using the public [21:30]
- How experts think about probiotics [34:30]
- A new perspective on probiotic solutions [42:20]
- The idea of a fecal bank, and the scientific feasibility of actually doing it [52:00]
- Exploring vegetarianism [1:04:45]
- Rules that stifle vs. constraints that enable [1:07:10]
- Jessica’s founding story of uBiome [1:13:40]
- Long-term goals of uBiome [1:17:00]
- Rapid-fire questions for Jonathan [1:19:55]
- Rapid-fire questions for Jessica [1:29:55]
- Many more rapid-fire questions…
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 800 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.