“Please be a traveler, not a tourist. Try new things, meet new people, and look beyond what’s right in front of you.” – Andrew Zimmern
Andrew Zimmern is a world-class chef, television host and producer, writer, and — at the end of the day — teacher. You’ve probably seen his shows Bizarre Foods or Dining with Death. In 2010 and 2013 he was awarded the James Beard Foundation Award, which annually presents awards for excellence in cuisine, culinary writing, and culinary television.
But many people don’t know the earlier chapters in his life. At one point, he was sleeping on the streets, stealing purses, and shooting heroin. In our interview, he shares all. We delve into everything, including his culinary tricks, how he developed his hit TV show, his influences, key turning points in his life, beating addiction, and much more.
This is a powerful interview.
It’s full of tactics for anyone, and it has extra insights for all types of compulsive behavior (and, really, who doesn’t have at least one?). I hope you enjoy it.
- Listen to it on iTunes. Also, check out all previous guests on iTunes or on SoundCloud.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download it as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
This podcast is brought to you by 99Designs, the world’s largest marketplace of graphic designers. Did you know I used 99Designs to rapid prototype the cover for The 4-Hour Body? Here are some of the impressive results.
This episode is also brought to you by ExOfficio, which I’ve personally used since 2005 or so. They make ultra-lightweight, quick drying, antimicrobial clothing for men and women. Here’s my own ultra-light packing list (scroll down for video), which went viral.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: Have you or anyone you know overcome addiction? If so, what was the tipping point, or what helped most? Please share in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Do you enjoy this podcast? If so, please leave a short review here. It keeps me going…
Subscribe to The Tim Ferriss Show on iTunes.
Selected Links from the Episode
- Pick up some Puerh from Living Tea
- Listen to Andrew Zimmern’s podcast, Go Fork Yourself: Website | On iTunes
- Say hello to Andrew on Twitter (@andrewzimmern)
- Explore his excellent website: Andrew Zimmern
- Here’s the 7″ all-use chef’s knife that Andrew uses
Some Highlights with Time Stamps
- What Andrew was inspired by, and who he modeled his show after [09:40]
- Recommendations for those seeking to cultivate an on-air personality [11:50]
- The three herbs or spices that Andrew Zimmern couldn’t live without [19:20]
- The magic of citrus, building flavor contrasts, and how to provide robust flavors [21:20]
- Tips for improving knife skills and cooking skills [27:45]
- How to identify expert chefs [33:38]
- The surprising story of his addiction-filled life [36:15]
- The challenges of helping those suffering from alcoholism or other drug addiction [45:05]
- The positive side of addiction, advice for overcoming it, and how to support others [50:20]
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 700 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.