If you want detailed tactics and hilarity, Ramit Sethi is your man. Here one quote from this episode, to give you an idea: “Indian people don’t get punched, dude. We don’t get into fights. We’re doing spelling bees.”
Ramit Sethi built his personal finance blog up to 500,000+ readers per month, and has since turned it into a revenue generating monster. I don’t use that phrasing lightly. In this episode, we dig into the nitty-gritty tools, software, and experiments he’s used to turn a college side project into a multi-million-dollar business with 30+ employees.
Tons of amazing links and goodies below…
Stream with the player below:
If you can’t see the above, here are other ways to listen:
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream Part 1 here and Part 2 here.
- Download both as MP3 by right clicking (Part 1, Part 2) and choosing “save as”.
This podcast is brought to you by 99Designs, the world’s largest marketplace of graphic designers. Did you know I used 99Designs to rapid prototype the cover for The 4-Hour Body? Here are some of the impressive results.
Also, how would you like to join me and billionaire Richard Branson on his private island for mentoring? It’s coming up soon, and it’s all-expenses-paid. Click here to learn more. It’s worth checking out.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: Do you think I should create a course of some type? If not (and if writing a book isn’t an option), what would you like to see me create next? What would be most helpful to you? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for all show notes.
Do you enjoy this podcast? If so, please leave a short review here. It keeps me going…
Subscribe to The Tim Ferriss Show on iTunes.
LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- Visit the Tim Ferriss Book Club on Audible
- Ramit’s compilation of the best “Freeloader Comments”
- Kevin Kelly article: 1000 True Fans
- From Geek to Freak: How I Gained 34 lbs. of Muscle in 4 Weeks
- Ramit’s post on the 4-Hour Blog: The Psychology of Automation: Building a Bulletproof Personal-Finance System
- Hacking Kickstarter: How to Raise $100,000 in 10 Days
- The $28,000 question: Why are we all hypocrites about weddings?
- Learn more about Opening the Kimono® Event
- How to Raise a Financial Wizard
- Check out Mark Bustos’ Instagram
- 12 Lessons Learned While Marketing “The 4-Hour Body”
- A special giveaway from Ramit for our listeners
Books Mentioned in the Episode
- The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right by Atul Gawande
- Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think Mass Market by Brian Wansink
- The Robert Collier Letter Book by Robert Collier
- Age of Propaganda: The Everyday Use and Abuse of Persuasion by Anthony Pratkanis and Elliot Aronson
- The Social Animal by Elliot Aronson
- Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time by Keith Ferrazzi
- Iacocca: An Autobiography Mass Market by Lee Iacocca and William Novak
- What They Don’t Teach You At Harvard Business School: Notes From A Street-Smart Executive by Mark H. McCormack
Entrepreneur Resources Mentioned in the Episode
- Basecamp – Web-based project-management tool
- Google Docs
- Aweber – Email marketing and autoresponder software
- Infusionsoft – A complete sales and marketing automation software for small businesses
- Surveymonkey – Create and publish online surveys in minutes, and view results graphically and in real time
- GitHub – Powerful collaboration, code review, and code management for open source and private projects.
- Asana – A web and mobile application designed to enable teamwork without email.
- Screenflow – Screen recording and editing software for Mac
- Dropbox – A free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily
- Wufoo – Online form builder with cloud storage database
- Skype – A freemium voice over IP service and instant messaging client
- Visual Website Optimizer – A/B Testing Software for Marketers
- Umbel – a tool for understanding your audience
Documentaries Mentioned in the Episode
- Why Ramit Sethi’s parents added the “R” to his original name, Amit
- His grassroots beginnings as a personal finance teacher to friends
- How his persistence garnered exposure for his blog in the Wall Street Journal
- How his site functions like a laboratory
- Why you only need to focus on caring for 1,000 die-hard fans
- How a few world-class posts can change your life forever
- The “secret recipe” for attracting lots of people to your posts and making them fall in love with your content
- Ramit’s email practices and marketing techniques that generate 99% of his revenue
- The entrepreneurial tools and software Ramit’s team uses to systematize the daily functioning of the business
- A common email practice that people share as the “Law of God” that is completely false
- Why you should encourage people to unsubscribe from your email list
- How to sell a product without coming off like a spammy Internet marketer
- Why Ramit turns away customers who have personal debt
- What roles race and culture play in Ramit’s life
- How I Will Teach You To Be Rich is like the Asian father some of us never had
- His book recommendations for entrepreneurs
- The longest lie his father ever told and why Ramit can’t wait to do the same to his children
- The best investment he’s made for under $100
- Email tips for building respectful relationships with busy people
The Tim Ferriss Show is one of the most popular podcasts in the world with more than 700 million downloads. It has been selected for "Best of Apple Podcasts" three times, it is often the #1 interview podcast across all of Apple Podcasts, and it's been ranked #1 out of 400,000+ podcasts on many occasions. To listen to any of the past episodes for free, check out this page.