“The pursuit of size and strength really contradicts what we want to go after for longevity.” – Dominic D’Agostino
Dr. Dominic “Dom” D’Agostino (@DominicDAgosti2) is one of my most popular guests, and I’m happy to have him rejoin the show for the third time. (You can listen to Dom’s first appearance here, and his second appearance here).
Dom is an assistant professor in the Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology at the University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine, and a senior research scientist at the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition (IHMC) — which is mentioned in the current issue of Outside Magazine (on which there’s a clown who looks a lot like me).
Much of Dom’s work is related to metabolic therapies and nutritional strategies for peak performance and resilience in extreme environments. Dom’s research is supported by the Office of Naval Research (ONR), Department of Defense (DoD), and other private organizations and foundations.
In this episode, Dom focuses on disease prevention, cancer, and more mastery of the ketogenic diet. Please enjoy this tutorial and masterclass with Dominic D’Agostino.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear my first interview with Dom D’Agostino? — Listen to our in-depth conversation here. In this episode, we discuss fasting, heavy deadlifts, and the end of cancer (stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Vimeo Business. Vimeo Business has all of the prior benefits of Vimeo Pro, including VIP support. Whether you make videos for a living, run your own company, or simply want to amp up your video marketing, Vimeo Business is here to help. It has more than 280 million creators and viewers worldwide and makes it easier to share your videos with a global audience and connect with professional video makers to bring your stories to life.
Vimeo Business allows you to upload up to five terabytes and store your videos in one secure place, add up to 10 team members to your account for easy collaboration, and gather feedback with seamless review tools. You can even add clickable calls to action and capture email addresses directly in the player, which can help you generate leads and drive conversion for whatever you’re trying to optimize — such as a newsletter or a sales page. Check out vimeo.com/tim10 to save 10 percent on Vimeo Business.
This podcast is also brought to you by Wealthfront. Wealthfront is a massively disruptive (in a good way) set-it-and-forget-it investing service led by technologists from places like Apple. It has exploded in popularity in the last two years and now has more than $2.5B under management. Why? Because you can get services previously limited to the ultra-wealthy and only pay pennies on the dollar for them, and it’s all through smarter software instead of retail locations and bloated sales teams.
Check out wealthfront.com/tim, take their risk assessment quiz, which only takes 2-5 minutes, and they’ll show you — for free — exactly the portfolio they’d put you in. If you want to just take their advice and do it yourself, you can. Well worth a few minutes to explore: wealthfront.com/tim.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What was your favorite quote or lesson from this episode? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Connect with Dom D’Agostino:
- Dom D’Agostino on Fasting, Ketosis, and the End of Cancer (his first appearance on this show)
- Dom D’Agostino — The Power of the Ketogenic Diet (his second appearance on this show)
- How the Ketogenic Diet Weakens Cancer Cells by Dr. David Jockers, The Truth About Cancer
- Fighting Cancer with Fats: Barrow Researcher Explores Innovative Cancer Treatment, Barrow Neurological Institute
- Neurological Disorders & the Ketogenic Diet — Dr. Jong Rho, The Keto Advocate (video)
- The Ketogenic Diet Is an Effective Adjuvant to Radiation Therapy for the Treatment of Malignant Glioma, PLOS
- The Glucose Ketone Index Calculator by Joshua J Meidenbauer, Purna Mukherjee, and Thomas N. Seyfried, Nutrition & Metabolism
- Dominic D’Agostino, Ph.D. on Modified Atkins Diet, Keto-Adaptation, Ketosis & More interview with Dr. Rhonda Patrick at FoundMyFitness
- Exogenous ketones
- Dom’s favorite BCAA (branched chain amino acid) product: Xtend
- The Anabolic Trigger! Learn More About Leucine by Layne Norton, Ph.D, Bodybuilding.com
- 5-HTP (supplements to support appetite suppression)
- Quest Nutrition MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) Powder Oil
- The Fasting Cure by Upton Sinclair (PDF)
- Barrow Neurological Institute’s Scheck Laboratory (there’s a Donate button in the top-right corner if you’re so inclined)
- The Warburg effect
- Benign tumors
- Targeting Insulin Inhibition as a Metabolic Therapy in Advanced Cancer by Eugene J. Fine M.D., Richard D. Feinman Ph.D, et al.
- Lower-Carb Diet Slows Growth of Aggressive Brain Tumor in Mouse Models by Doug Bennet, UFHealth
- The Ketogenic Diet: Uses in Epilepsy and Other Neurologic Illnesses by Kristin W. Barañano, MD, PhD and Adam L. Hartman, MD
- Effects of a Ketogenic Diet on the Quality of Life in 16 Patients with Advanced Cancer: A Pilot Trial by Melanie Schmidt, et al.
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy, Mayo Clinic
- Targeting Cancer Metabolism with Ketosis and Hyperbaric Oxygen by Angela M. Poff, University of South Florida
- Ben Greenfield on the Best Nutrition Supplements, Mahler’s Aggressive Strength Podcast Episode 55
- KetoSports Keto8 caprylic acid (C8)
- APOE (Apolipoprotein E) and the E4 variant that signifies a genetic risk factor for late-onset sporadic Alzheimer’s disease
- Study of the Ketogenic Agent AC-1202 in Mild to Moderate Alzheimer’s Disease: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Multicenter Trial by Samuel T. Henderson, et al.
- Dale Bredesen Discusses the Metabolic Factors Underlying Alzheimer’s Disease, IHMC STEM-Talk Episode 12
- Trials related to Metformin
- Andrew Scarborough N=1 Experiment: Using Ketosis to Fight a Brain Tumor, The Quantified Body Episode 44
- Are Cheat Meals or Cheat Days Allowed on Keto?, Keto subreddit
- Ketogenic Low-Carbohydrate Diets Have No Metabolic Advantage over Nonketogenic Low-Carbohydrate Diets by Carol S. Johnston, et al.
- Methylene blue
- Metformin in Longevity Study (MILES), Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
- Metformin to Augment Strength Training Effective Response in Seniors (MASTERS Trial), University of Alabama
- The Anaerobic Glycolytic System (fast glycolysis)
- Dom recommends creatine monohydrate as a supplement to glycolytic training.
- Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder by Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1)
- beta-Hydroxybutyric acid
- KetoSports KetoCaNa
- Forever Green Ketopia
- Could This Ketosis-Based Elixir Hold the Key to Weight Loss, World Record Performances, Brain Healing and More?, Ben Greenfield Fitness
- Use of 1,3-butanediol acetoacetate in parenteral oral nutrition (Dr. Brunengraber’s ester)
- Does the ketogenic diet “beat” chemotherapy for cancer? [06:45]
- Dom elaborates on the detoxifying effects of ketosis on precancerous cells in healthy individuals. [15:07]
- How does one jump start a daily ketogenic cycle without supplements? [16:25]
- How can lean muscle mass be maintained when fasting? [17:56]
- What types of cancers are most affected by ketosis? [21:34]
- What process is most effective for targeting cancer? [23:25]
- The ketogenic diet as a do no harm therapy. [26:14]
- Nutritional ketosis and hyperbaric oxygen therapy: how, why, and when? [27:51]
- How long would an amateur endurance athlete need to be in ketosis to get the full benefit of being fat adapted for a marathon, and what supplement stack would Dom recommend? [33:47]
- Should an APOE4 (Apolipoprotein E) carrier — someone at genetic risk for Alzheimer’s disease — be careful with a ketogenic diet? [36:35]
- Are there any downsides to shifting out of ketosis for an occasional cheat meal? [41:06]
- What does Dom have to say about the study that found ketogenic diets have no metabolic advantage? [46:19]
- If your body doesn’t do well with dairy or nuts, what would be good fat source alternatives on a modified ketogenic diet? [48:58]
- Dom talks about Metformin, methylene blue, and other non-food substances meant to increase longevity. [50:24]
- Can the ketogenic diet be used while glycolytic training? [58:06]
- What is it like for Dom to be an academic who makes serious weight training a big part of his life, and how do these two pursuits complement (or complicate) each other? [1:01:06]
- Dom’s thoughts on John Kiefer’s carb backloading. [1:07:26]
- Are ketone salt products on the market safe — specifically the DL beta-Hydroxybutyric salts? [1:12:27]
- Adrienne Scheck
- Jong Rho
- Thomas Seyfried
- Rhonda Patrick
- George F. Cahill, Jr.
- Layne Norton
- Eugene Fine
- Richard Feinman
- Brent Reynolds
- Melanie Schmidt
- Angela Poff
- Ben Greenfield
- Samuel Henderson
- Dale Bredesen
- Andrew Scarborough
- David Ludwig
- John Kiefer
- Dave Asprey
- Richard Veech
- Henri Brunengraber
Posted on: September 25, 2016.
Please check out Tools of Titans, my new book, which shares the tactics, routines, and habits of billionaires, icons, and world-class performers. It was distilled from more than 10,000 pages of notes, and everything has been vetted and tested in my own life in some fashion. The tips and tricks in Tools of Titans changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for sample chapters, full details, and a Foreword from Arnold Schwarzenegger!