“What is the ultimate quantification of success? For me, it’s not how much time you spend doing what you love. It’s how little time you spend doing what you hate.” – Casey Neistat
Casey Neistat (@caseyneistat) is a New York-based filmmaker. His online films have been viewed nearly 300,000,000 times in the last 5 years.
He is the writer, director, editor, and star of the series The Neistat Brothers on HBO and won the John Cassavetes Award at the 2011 Independent Spirit Awards for the film Daddy Long Legs. His main body of work consists of dozens of short films he has released exclusively on the Internet, including regular contributions to the New York Times critically acclaimed Op-Docs series. He is also the founder of Beme, a startup aiming to make creating and sharing video dead simple.
Casey is excellent at breaking every rule imaginable and having people (fans, sponsors, big brands, etc.) thank him for it. In this conversation, we dig into his history, techniques, influences, habits, and more…
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as.”
Want to hear another podcast with another award-winning movie maker? — Listen to my conversations with Robert Rodriguez. In this episode, we discuss the making of From Dusk ’till Dawn, Sin City, and what it means to be the “Wizard” of Hollywood (stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Vimeo Pro, which is the ideal video hosting platform for entrepreneurs. In fact, a bunch of my start-ups are already using Vimeo Pro. WealthFront uses it to explain how WealthFront works. TaskRabbit uses it to tell the company’s story. There are many other names who you would recognize among their customers (AirBnB, Etsy, etc.) Why do they use it? Vimeo Pro provides enterprise level video hosting for a fraction of the usual cost. Features include:
- Gorgeous high-quality playback with no ads
- Up to 20 GB of video storage every week
- Unlimited plays and views
- A fully customizable video player, which can include your company logo, custom outro, and more
You get all this for just $199 per year (that’s only $17 per/mo.). There are no complicated bandwidth calculations or hidden fees. Try it risk-free for 30 days. Just go to Vimeo.com/business to check it out. If you like it, you can use the promo code “Tim” to get 25% off. This is a special discount just for you guys.
This podcast is also brought to you by Wealthfront. Wealthfront is a massively disruptive (in a good way) set-it-and-forget-it investing service, led by technologists from places like Apple and world-famous investors. It has exploded in popularity in the last 2 years and now has more than $2.5B under management. In fact, some of my good investor friends in Silicon Valley have millions of their own money in Wealthfront. Why? Because you can get services previously limited to the ultra-wealthy and only pay pennies on the dollar for them, and it’s all through smarter software instead of retail locations and bloated sales teams.
Check out wealthfront.com/tim, take their risk assessment quiz, which only takes 2-5 minutes, and they’ll show you—for free–exactly the portfolio they’d put you in. If you want to just take their advice and do it yourself, you can. Or, as I would, you can set it and forget it. Well worth a few minutes: wealthfront.com/tim.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: Casey is breaking the mold for what it means to be a filmmaker. Who are your favorite entertainers, artists, or entrepreneurs who are breaking the mold? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Here are a few articles about Casey:
- Want to hack commercial flights? Check out Free Business Class Upgrades, everytime (Note: you must fly a whole lot)
- Casey Neistat’s vlogging equipment
- Learn more about Final Cut Pro X
- The Second World War by John Keegan
- The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X, Alex Haley, and Attallah Shabazz
- It’s Not How Good You Are, It’s How Good You Want to Be by Paul Arden
- Some of Casey’s favorite bloggers:
- Neil Gaiman’s commencement speech, Make Good Art
- Casey’s favorite movies:
- Casey’s running playlist, Jonny Famous
- Connect with Casey Neistat:
- On the challenges of working in New York City [2:20]
- How Casey Neistat grew up [3:45]
- The story of Bike Lanes [7:50]
- How Casey Neistat responds when people ask, “what do you do?” [13:45]
- The story behind Make It Count [15:05]
- Casey’s pitch to Nike for the Make It Count video [18:05]
- Suggestions for packing [23:15]
- Thoughts on post production software [25:05]
- Where novice YouTubers waste the most time [26:50]
- Thoughts on how to be successful with YouTube [30:15]
- On the decision to make a daily vlog [34:40]
- The importance of devoting time to communicating with your audience [39:00]
- The story behind Casey’s first paid gig in the entertainment business [40:30]
- When you think of the word successful, who is the first person that comes to mind and why? [44:40]
- Who makes Casey Neistat feel star-struck? [50:10]
- Tips on developing the ability to be well-spoken [54:40]
- Rapid fire questions: Most gifted books, best purchase of $100 or less, and favorite vloggers [1:01:05]
- Common misconceptions [1:07:25]
- On how to say, “no” [1:09:20]
- What is a belief that you have that many people may think is crazy? [1:12:00]
- The thinking behind Beme [1:15:00]
- Top films that may not have been fully appreciated [1:20:50]
- If you could put a billboard anywhere and write anything on it, where would it be and what would it say? [1:23:55]
- An ask/suggestion for the audience [1:28:15]
Posted on: October 27, 2015.
Please check out Tools of Titans, my new book, which shares the tactics, routines, and habits of billionaires, icons, and world-class performers. It was distilled from more than 10,000 pages of notes, and everything has been vetted and tested in my own life in some fashion. The tips and tricks in Tools of Titans changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for sample chapters, full details, and a Foreword from Arnold Schwarzenegger!