Dr. Brené Brown (@BreneBrown) is a research professor at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work. Brené’s 2010 TEDx Houston talk, The Power of Vulnerability, has been viewed more than 20 million times and is one of the top five most viewed TED talks in the world.
She has spent the past 13 years studying vulnerability, courage, worthiness, and shame. Brené is the author of two #1 New York Times bestsellers: Daring Greatly and The Gifts of Imperfection. Her brand-new book is titled Rising Strong. In it, she writes, “If we are brave enough, often enough, we will fall. This is a book about what it takes to get back up.”
She is also the founder and CEO for The Daring Way™, an organization that brings her work on vulnerability, courage, shame and worthiness to organizations, schools, communities, and families.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Stream by clicking here
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing “save as”.
Want to hear another podcast with a world class emotional intelligence practitioner? — Listen to my conversations with Josh Waitzkin. In this episode, we discuss meditation styles, morning rituals and why you should study the artists rather than the art critics (stream below or right-click here to download):
This podcast is brought to you by Vimeo Pro, which is the ideal video hosting platform for entrepreneurs. In fact, a bunch of my start-ups are already using Vimeo Pro. WealthFront uses it to explain how WealthFront works. TaskRabbit uses it to tell the company’s story. There are many other names who you would recognize among their customers (AirBnB, Etsy, etc.) Why do they use it? Vimeo Pro provides enterprise level video hosting for a fraction of the usual cost. Features include:
- Gorgeous high-quality playback with no ads
- Up to 20 GB of video storage every week
- Unlimited plays and views
- A fully customizable video player, which can include your company logo, custom outro, and more
You get all this for just $199 per year (that’s only $17 per/mo.) There are no complicated bandwidth calculations or hidden fees. Try it risk-free for 30 days. Just go to Vimeo.com/business to check it out. If you like it, you can use the promo code “Tim” to get 25% off. This is a special discount just for you guys.
This podcast is also brought to you by Wealthfront. Wealthfront is a massively disruptive (in a good way) set-it-and-forget-it investing service, led by technologists from places like Apple and world-famous investors. It has exploded in popularity in the last 2 years and now has more than $2.5B under management. In fact, some of my good investor friends in Silicon Valley have millions of their own money in Wealthfront. Why? Because you can get services previously limited to the ultra-wealthy and only pay pennies on the dollar for them, and it’s all through smarter software instead of retail locations and bloated sales teams.
Check out wealthfront.com/tim, take their risk assessment quiz, which only takes 2-5 minutes, and they’ll show you—for free–exactly the portfolio they’d put you in. If you want to just take their advice and do it yourself, you can. Or, as I would, you can set it and forget it. Well worth a few minutes: wealthfront.com/tim.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: What short-term discomfort are you avoiding now? What is preventing you from taking action? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Watch Brené Brown’s TED Talks:
- The Gifts of Imperfection by Brené Brown
- Daring Greatly by Brené Brown
- Rising Strong by Brené Brown
- I Thought It Was Just Me (but it isn’t) by Brené Brown
- Women & Shame by Brené Brown
- The Paradox of Choice by Barry Schwartz
- Learn more about Liberation Theology and Grounded Theory
- The Alchemist by Paulo
- My favorite swimming goggles
- Connect with Brené Brown:
- How Brené Brown answers the question, “What do you do?” [7:38]
- What make a highly popular TED talk [1:45]
- How Brené Brown prepares for TED talks [13:16]
- Defining the terms “vulnerability” and “shame” (Learn more about how to deal with haters) [15:31]
- Deconstructing shame from an evolutionary standpoint [24:31]
- How to evaluate the question, “Are you daring greatly today?”[39:06]
- Which schools of philosophy resonate most with Brown’s research? [46:31]
- Misinterpretations of vulnerability [49:46]
- How does vulnerability coexist with masculine virtues and traits? [55:31]
- What are some daily practices or exercises to develop vulnerability? [1:02:46]
- Brené Brown’s morning rituals [1:06:16]
- Most gifted books [1:17:06]
- Why she wrote Rising Strong [1:08:46]
- Describing the method for collecting data for Rising Strong [1:09:41]
- The ideal sequence for reading Brené Brown’s work [1:13:06]
- The first thing that comes to mind when Brené Brown thinks of the word successful [1:14:31]
- What purchase of $100 or less has most positively affected your life in recent memory? [1:15:51]
- If you could have one billboard anywhere, where would it be and what would it say? [1:16:46]
- Advice for Brené Brown’s thirty-year-old self [1:17:46]
- Asks or requests for the listeners [1:19:19]
- Marcus Aurelius
- Pema Chödrön
- Joseph Campbell
- Kahlil Gibran
- Mary Oliver
- Neil Peart
- Shonda Rhimes
Posted on: August 28, 2015.
Please check out Tools of Titans, my new book, which shares the tactics, routines, and habits of billionaires, icons, and world-class performers. It was distilled from more than 10,000 pages of notes, and everything has been vetted and tested in my own life in some fashion. The tips and tricks in Tools of Titans changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for sample chapters, full details, and a Foreword from Arnold Schwarzenegger!