This single interview — one of my favorites of all-time — was recorded in three short parts. You can:
- Listen to all three on iTunes
- Download them as MP3s (right click “save as”): Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.
- Download the transcript.
- Or stream them now below (If you’re reading this in e-mail, please click here to stream):
This podcast is brought to you by The Tim Ferriss Book Club, which features a handful of books that have changed my life. Here’s the list. You can also find all 20+ episodes of this podcast here. Some are sober and some are drunk, but the guests are all great.
Now, on to this episode’s guest…
Kevin Kelly might be the real-life Most Interesting Man In The World.
He is Senior Maverick at Wired magazine, which he co-founded in 1993. He also co-founded the All Species Foundation, a non-profit aimed at cataloging and identifying every living species on earth. In his spare time, he writes bestselling books, co-founded the Rosetta Project, which is building an archive of ALL documented human languages, and serves on the board of the Long Now Foundation. As part of the last, he’s investigating how to revive and restore endangered or extinct species, including the Wooly Mammoth.
This episode touches on a lot of cool stuff. SERIOUSLY, A LOT.
Just scroll below and your head might explode. Tons of amazing links and goodies…
Who should I interview next? Please let me know in the comments by clicking here.
Do you enjoy this podcast? If so, please leave a short review here. It keeps me going…
Subscribe to The Tim Ferriss Show on iTunes.
Non-iTunes RSS feed
Show Notes and Select Links from the Episode
- Kevin Kelly’s biggest regret
- His lesson in finding contentment in minimalism and “volunteer simplicity”
- How he realized that writing actually creates ideas
- Why he promised himself that he would never resort to teaching English while traveling abroad
- The “creator’s dilemma,” or how you have to go lower to get higher
- Why you don’t want to be a billionaire
- His realizations after doing a “6 months until death” challenge
- His Kickstarter-funded project linking angels and robots
- Why a self-proclaimed ex-hippie waited until his 50th birthday to try LSD for the first time
- Why a population implosion is probable in the next 100 years
- The greatest gift you can give to your child
- The criteria for Amish technology assimilation
- What technology-free sabbaticals can do for you
- Long Now Foundation’s vision of a better civilization
- The graphic novel for young people on how to become indispensable
- His favorite fiction book
- The great resource Kevin compiled for documentary lovers
- How he accumulated enough books to fill a two-story library
- Mythbuster’s Adam Savage’s organizational method, which transformed Kevin’s life
- The project that everyone should undertake at least once in life
- The advice he would give to his younger self
LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
- Visit the Tim Ferriss Book Club to find a new book each month (or so) that’s changed my life
- Wired Magazine
- Learn more about the All Species Foundation
- The Rosetta Project
- Long Now Foundation
- Get more information about 1,000 True Fans
- Learn more about Voluntary Simplicity
- This American Life, Episode 50 with Kevin Kelly
- Tim Ferriss Show Episode 2: Interview with Josh Waitzkin
- True Films – Kevin Kelly’s site about documentaries
- Learn more about sodium valproate
- www.Uline.com – shipping, industrial, and packing materials
- Adam Savage – host of Mythbusters
- Elance – resource for hiring freelancers
- Whole Earth Catalog
- KK.org – Kevin Kelly’s website
Books Mentioned in the Episode
- Cat’s Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
- Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel by Rolf Potts
- Cool Tools: A Catalog of Possibilities by Kevin Kelly
- What Technology Wants by Kevin Kelly
- The Psychedelic Explorer’s Guide by James Fadiman
- The Adventures of Johnny Bunko by Daniel H. Pink
- So Good They Can’t Ignore You by Cal Newport
- Shantaram: A Novel by Gregory David Roberts
- Searching for Bobby Fischer: The Father of a Prodigy Observes the World of Chess by Fred Waitzkin
- True Films by Kevin Kelly
Documentaries Mentioned in the Episode
Posted on: August 29, 2014.
Please check out Tools of Titans, my new book, which shares the tactics, routines, and habits of billionaires, icons, and world-class performers. It was distilled from more than 10,000 pages of notes, and everything has been vetted and tested in my own life in some fashion. The tips and tricks in Tools of Titans changed my life, and I hope the same for you. Click here for sample chapters, full details, and a Foreword from Arnold Schwarzenegger!